Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:51 AM
Lecht
Fire Beetle

Default Introducing Damoria.

I'd like to introduce a server that's in the works. I have a lot of the core code completed, I'm mostly working on content and content development tools to make my life easier hehe.

I'm calling my world Damoria. I have a very strong vision and am very passionate about making it come to life. I would really like to try to bring something new to eqemu.
A lot of this stuff I had thought up back when I was active on the development team. But a lot of it inspired by other games.

Most of you don't know me, but I go way back with eqemu. I contributed the first quest system for it a good while ago (Yes, that piece of garbage =P).
Anyways, I'm going to list just a few of the features (with many more to come as time permits).

My world will be expedition based and heavily instanced. This doesn't mean that there won't be much grouping. There will even be rewards for grouping, including increased loot and experience.
Damoria won't have a power curve like most. By that I mean that the difficulty doesn't come from the boss just pummeling your tank with massive damage and occassionally casting a spell or summoning some adds.
The bosses in my world will be difficult on an intellectual level as well, but not overwhelmingly so. This is also true for the mobs that you fight in the world.
I am custom scripting behaviors for many different archetypes of mobs that will exist in Damoria.

Spell system overhaul. Spells aren't what they used to be, you acquire most spells/abilities from augments. This isn't just limited to augments granting you spells/abilities either.
You can chain together spell/ability granting abilities with other supportive augments to provide you with a truly unique ability.

For instance say you're playing a ranger and you have a "Burning" aug equipped that grants you the ability to fire burning arrows.
In that same piece of armor you have a "Piercing" augment, as well as a "Jagged" augment.
Well now your burning arrows pierce mobs in a line and apply stacks of burning (from burning arrow), and bleeding from the jagged support augment.

Or maybe you're playing a warrior with a 2handed sword, and you have "Cleaving Strike" installed on the weapon, paired with "Flurry".
Your cleaving strikes hit everything aoe in front of you and have a chance to hit a 2nd and maybe even 3rd time.

Some of these augments will be fairly rare and will be immensely valuable.

Your stats all play a role in how effective you are in combat. These are all passive effects. Mobs are also using the same system.

Ac provides physical mitigation
Str provides additional melee damage/endurance regen
Sta provides additional hp/hp regen
Dex provides critical hit/accuracy
Agi provides evasion
Int provides spell damage/mana regen/spell damage mitigation
Wis provides better healing

So when you see that some of these status effects modify your stats, it really is a big deal and they can really be a deciding factor in whether a battle is won or lost.

These are just some of the status effects that you will be dealing with/dealing out from/to various mob types in the game.

Different statuses:
Stunned - Can't attack, use skills, or move, attacker accuracy increased.
Rooted - Can't move.
Knocked down - Attack with decreased accuracy, can't move, can't use skills, attacker accuracy increased.
Crippled - Can attack, use skills, and move but with reduced attack speed, physical damage, and movement speed, spells aren't affected.
Asleep - Asleep until woken.
Poisoned - Damage over time, reduces incoming healing. Upon 25 stacks, applies a debuff that blocks all healing, but consumes the poison stacks.
Bleeding - Damage over time. Amplified by negative mitigation. Every 5 stacks applies stack of wounding. Upon 25 stacks applies a heavy stack of bleeding.
Wounded - Maximum hp reduced. Stamina reduced as well.
Chilled - Attack speed and movement speed reduced. When reaches 25 stacks, becomes frozen.
Frozen - Can't attack, can't move, attacker accuracy increased, can be shattered (Next hit deals considerably more damage, extreme negative mitigation.) Consumes chilled stacks.
Burning - On fire, taking fire damage over time, reduced accuracy, upon 25 stacks expends the stacks and you explode.
Emblazoned - Explode into flames, dealing aoe damage to nearby allies.
Confused - Will attack at random, with a higher chance of hitting their own allies.
Dazed - Can auto attack, but can't use skills.
Vulnerable - Negative physical mitigation.
Weakness - Reduces physical damage, and endurance regeneration.
Diseased - Damage over time. Has a chance for all the debuffs on the target to spread to allies.
Cursed - Stats reduced by quite a bit.
Staggered - Negative physical mitigation, spell mitigation - Affects npcs only. (Yes another "borrowed" concept from the Final Fantasy series =P)

Each mob will have a stagger threshhold certain amount of damage they've received. Like hate multipliers for warriors, different classes have different stagger multipliers (mostly dps have higher stagger multipliers).
So say the mob's stagger threshhold is 3000 on a level 8 mob, and he has 4k hp. The warrior might hit for 35 damage and his multiplier might be 2. So he applies 70 to the thresh hold.
While a rogue backstabbing for 95 might have a multiplier of 4 for a total of 380.

These numbers are merely made up for the example.

Most "normal" mobs can spawn with affixes that give them special abilities outside of their already defined behavior. These effects are listed under their name and also visually represented.

Mob Affixes:
Fiery - Fire Aura
Icey - Ice Aura
Poison - Poison Aura
Strong - Hits much harder
Sturdy - Damage Mitigation
Resists - Spell mitigation, resistant to spells.
Martyr - Explodes on death dealing aoe damage
Vampiric - Steals life on attack
Robust - Much more hp
Crusher - This mobs attacks hurt and rattle even the most stalwart adventurer's bones, applies cripple stacks.
Multiply - Splits into multiple upon death.
Illusion - Spawns with 2 dopplegangers. Kill the main mob and the other 2 die with it, when this affix spawns it shuffles the illusion spawn spots with the main guy.
Brutal - Applies stacks of bleeding.
Fast - Fast moving/attacking
Vengeful - Reflects a percentage of damage. The higher tiered/level the mob the larger the percentage.
Frenzy - Rampages, flurries, enrages
Cursed - Greatly hinders your performance, applying stacks of cursed that reduce your core stats.
Plagued - Applies diseased stacks. Careful of the

Any "normal" mob that you encounter can spawn with these affixes as well as a prefix (Think diablo) "Champion", "Elite", some mobs have a unique name and are exceptionally difficult.
1-20 only spawns with 1 affix, 20-40 2, 40-60 3, 60-80 4, 80-85 has a chance to spawn with 5 but rarely.
The text below the mob will only describe up to 3 affixes, however if they have more than 3 then all will be visually represented.

Now for the loot system. In Damoria you loot various types of items off of monsters. Say you're in a dungeon, you just slew that Elite Skeletal Myrmidon that almost wiped your party.
I mean come on, (Fast, Vampiric, Multiply, Illusion)? That's a brutal combo.
You go to loot it and find an "Unidentified Rare Elven Bow" for your ranger that no matter how many "Exceptional Healing XVIIXZXI" augments your cleric has in their breastplate, they just can't keep them alive.

All Damorians are born with the ability to unlock the true potential of the certain items.
A simple twist, a flick of the wrist (that's what the shaman said =P), and the ranger gains an omniscient insight as to what it's capable of.
You hold that elven bow in your hand, and it's past begins to unravel before your very eyes. You develop a bond with that item, as it becomes attuned to you, and only you.
If you were to ever break that bond, it would diminish in quality (not by a lot, but it can diminish quickly if it's passed around alot).
It also maintains a history of who it's been attuned to, and who initially discovered/created it, how many battles it's been in, damage it's done, etc.

Essentially items are randomly generated on the fly, not pre-generated and then inserted into a database. When you discover something in Damoria, the world will know about it.
Items that are attuned to you can be unattuned but it does diminish their quality. There will be Superior, Magic, Rare, Set, Legendary, and Crafted items in Damoria.
There is an affix system for items as well. There are various chances amongst the different rarities to generate an item with a prefix AND suffix if it's magic,
up to 6 affixes if it's rare, and set/legendary items have powerful set in stone stats that can also be affected by a few affixes.

Some affixes have properties that have a % chance to spawn. For instance say you find 3 Striking items that all have + weapon damage, +str, and +dex.
Well you may eventually find one that gives a weapon proc or nice worn effect to go with those other properties.
Properties have a minimum and maximum value that can be spawned per item type, per rarity, per slot, per chance =P.
For instance an item that's "of the Lion" may give +str and +dex. But have a range of +1-6 str and +1-4 dex or vice versa.
So you may end up with that affix providing 2 properties maybe +3 str, +2 dex, or +6 str, +3 dex. Just all depends.

This may seem like a fairly complicated system, well, it is, but not on your end as a player =P.

Now let's talk about the crafting system. Any of those cool affixes that have been applied to your item can be extracted to a material that you can use in your item creation.
Yeah we're going all out with customization here. There are a few draw backs. You can only select one of the affixes, the item that contained the affix you extracted from will be destroyed in the process.
You also re-roll that affixes bonuses. For instance you have a Nimble Stiletto of Backstabbing, and you want the "Backstabbing" affix. Say that Backstabbing affix gave you a nice backstab bonus and special worn effect.
Say the special worn effect had a percent chance to spawn and the person who unlocked the item was lucky enough to get it to spawn.
When you craft your item it goes through the same generation process for that affix as if you were unlocking it the first time. This can be a double edged sword.
On one hand if the affix didn't spawn the first time, maybe it will this time =P. But on the other hand, it may not, even if it did the first time.

These are just some of the many features that are to come. Alot of stuff has already been completed and implemented. This post barely scratches the surface of what I have in store.
Sorry for the lengthy explanations, just wanted to be thorough. Post any questions/comments/concerns and I'll follow up. I'd really love to hear what you guys think and if you have any ideas lay them on me.

A screenshot of the mob affix proof of concept:

(Note: Not all mobs will spawn this way, I just thought I'd enable a 100% chance to show some of the various effects =P.)

Last edited by Lecht; 09-11-2013 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: Few more details.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:14 PM
ak48
Sarnak

It all looks pretty good in theory and seems like fun, forever varying content. I can't wait to see it in action.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:25 PM
wispers
Fire Beetle

cant wait to try it out=)
Old 09-11-2013, 09:05 PM
Ozium
Sarnak

sounds great, let us know when need some testers (nudge nudge wink)
Old 09-12-2013, 01:06 AM
AzsharasDad
Fire Beetle

I like that this reminds me of diablo 2.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:05 AM
Drajor
Developer

So many awesome design elements that I would love to see in a custom server. I really look forward to seeing this come to life!
Old 09-12-2013, 02:35 AM
Jahar_LoA
Sarnak

Drajor, where ya been buddy?
Old 09-12-2013, 04:08 PM
phorest
Sarnak

yes. I'd like to help test this too. Nice and refreshing to have some limitless combinations of mobs.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:55 PM
Lecht
Fire Beetle

Thanks for the feedback guys, glad you're excited! I have a few things to hash out before I open the server for any kind of beta. I'll be setting up a website soon as well to detail all of the information and the development progress.

I'll post again with the website information when I get it all set up.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:29 PM
Commrune
Fire Beetle

I'm in. Let's do this.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:42 PM
Lecht
Fire Beetle

Default Website

The site is up at http://www.worldofdamoria.com/ . Keep in mind that this is a brand new server, the site, and all the pages are a work in progress just like the server itself.

Anyways, let me know if you have any problem signing up on the site. I'll be checking the site often, as well as making frequent updates on the status of things as well as detailing my implementation for various features.

See you there!
Old 09-20-2013, 12:07 AM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

Discovered this on the internet, is there where you got your name from? http://damoria.com/
Old 09-20-2013, 03:10 AM
Lecht
Fire Beetle

Nope. It was originally "Damora" after a game I created a few years ago, but I've since decided to rename it to Damoria because I think it sounds better.

That site being in existence is completely coincidental, and I had no idea they existed until I tried to create the domain.

You might be thinking "Likely story", but to prove it I've included a screenshot of the start screen for my old game. You can even see that it's logo influenced my current logo design =P

Old 09-20-2013, 06:47 AM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

Quote:
Class Support augments will provide further customization so that you can truly break free from the molds. If you want to be a dual wielding wizard that can feign death, and disable traps then be my guest =P.
I'll take two.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:15 PM
Lecht
Fire Beetle

I just want to say that I'm not creating my server to compete with anyone, steal anyone's ideas, or anyone's thunder.

Let's be real, most of my ideas have been influenced by action rpg games, and well the final fantasy series as they are my favorite kinds of games.

In my opinion To claim that I'm "stealing" anyone's idea is absurd considering we're all borrowing in some way/shape/form from other people's ideas.

I respect anyone's right to disagree with this. That is my _opinion_.

Most of these ideas I had years ago before many servers at all existed, and I know a few people that will vouch for me. I remember annoying Quagmire back then because I wanted to implement true random items. Back when the shared memory feature was just being implemented.

Furthermore, I've had more than one server dev contact me and ask me questions about my implementation. If I were trying to be competitive, I wouldn't have taken the time to reply and answer the questions they had. I even spoke with one over skype.

I'm not creating this server to take a stab at anyone, I absolutely love game development and have been planning this a long time coming.

I started out writing some code for another server here that I won't mention. In doing so, I realized how far eqemu had come. I began to re-familiarize myself with the code base (Which I'm STILL in the process of.), and lots of those ideas started coming back. I had only played on/read about 3 servers prior to creating my own.

I'm literally creating this server for the love of it. I'm creating something that I would enjoy playing myself. I have a strong vision and I will not be ashamed of it nor will I apologize for it.

That being said, I hope that everyone else's server succeeds. I will try to help the community as much as I can.

I have tools that I've created specifically for Damoria development that I'm considering releasing for mass use (When I work all the bugs out of them.)

A spell editor influenced by Null's spell editor, and the peq editor. It handles dbstr_us as well as the mysql database and spells_us. Btw, thanks whoever created the spell encyclopedia as I've incorporated it.

A feature rich item editor that was also influenced by the peq editor, I've just expanded upon these tools.