Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > OpenZone > OpenZone::Tutorials

OpenZone::Tutorials OZ, up to date Tutorials section

Old 05-09-2017, 03:06 PM
Kikinaak
Sarnak

Default Looking for some current tutorials

The last post for the most recent thread is 2 years ago, and the tutorials in it are dead links. I assume the tools have maybe evolved a bit since then, but as far as any of this goes, I am a noob with high ambitions and looking to get started making my own zones, eventually moving up to make a new world for the game. But I gotta start somewhere, so can anyone point me to some up to date tuts on taking a zone from concept to client?
Old 05-11-2017, 10:02 PM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

Akkadius is working on a completely revised version of the Wiki so a lot of our data has become either stale or invalid at this point. I believe this should help you set up a server at least if you haven't made it that far.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:01 PM
Zaela_S
Hill Giant

Someone started a tutorial here but never finished it.

There's a thread about a newer-ish zone importing tool here with some nifty screenshots from people playing with it.

That tool is somewhat old and crappy now, but I'm probably still the main person who would consider making model-importing tools at this point. It's a pretty niche subject, pretty much never more than one person interested in doing any custom model stuff at any one time.

If you've never done any 3D modeling, I'd suggest downloading Blender and finding some tutorials for basic stuff on youtube to start off. Even if you do have some experience with Blender/Maya/3DMax, I'd suggest starting off by making and importing weapon models, since they are simpler and quicker to get something decent you can look at in-game, but also introduce you to most of the same concepts and concerns that would also apply to zones. There's a thread about another tool for importing weapon models.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:15 PM
Kikinaak
Sarnak

Nice. I was afraid the subject was completely dead. I do have a server running, but after 23 expansions, EQlive has become a monty haul campaign. I was one of those rangers who fletched their own trueshot back when that actually meant something. Now its considered a joke weapon and god help anyone trying to put together a group to get that !@#$% mermaid hair for the [next incarnation]. Just like pretty much all player crafted gear. At least low level enchanters can still make something remotely useful...

Keeping up with the expansions is also the bane of those maintaining the server codebase and the db. P1999 and other classic projects sidestep this by going back in time to when the game was new. But you cant make old content new again, and if you dont have the latest and greatest compared to random_other_server, no one wants to play. So my answer is, create new content. I want to eventually create a new game world, new zones, quests, new items and spells, and just start with a clean slate where you cant just pop a fresh toon up to the bazaar and walk out with endgame gear, and where mobs just outside the newbie zones arent "balanced" to need a full suit of artifact quality gear for a level 10 to survive. And the idea of there being entire new zones and continents on the emu that live doesnt offer isnt exactly unattractive either.

Like I said, big ambitions, not so much knowledge on how to make it happen. I'll be eagerly watching for the new tuts and tools being worked on.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:24 AM
Baci Rom
Fire Beetle

Hello,
I am new to here.
Are there any updates about tutorials? Many thanks in advance.