Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:07 AM
spider661
Discordant

Default prefered server list

how do you get on the list? last i was told the guys that do that are no longer around.. but just today i see zeb on there and they do not get anywhere near the amount of players SoA gets. fact most i have seen on there is like 20 players. now i understand if there is something you have to do to get on the list. but i don't understand how no one else can get on the list but yet today there on the list when they where not the other day.

can anyone enlighten me some please?
Old 09-05-2008, 02:20 AM
spider661
Discordant

ok seems from another post a was reading zeb has been around for awhile they must have taken it down for abit and had the short name wrong i guess becuase it was in the normal list till today that i have seen.. but ya ok so i guess disregard this post unless someone does know of other ways to get on the list.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:17 AM
trevius
Developer

I think now that his server is ready to start trying to get high player numbers, that Jibba changed his config to use his old login settings to put him back on the preferred list. His server was on the preferred list the first time it was up because it was in the top 2 or 3 custom servers. I think he hadn't set it until now because he has been doing a HUGE revamp on his server and really has done an amazing amount of work on it. He finally has most of his content completed and accessible, so it is time to up the player numbers
Old 09-05-2008, 05:47 AM
Secrets
Demi-God

It's really a shame he doesn't have that much players with his quality of content. I know I ran into a similar issue when I ran Edge with Ailia, and it drove me to not work.

I'm hoping that never becomes the case with Zeb.

It seems people would rather have horribly unbalanced gameplay, where one class would dominate all, or the content would be too hard, or there's not enough content that they beat the game in a week.

But, if that's what the general populace wants... so be it. :/
Old 09-05-2008, 07:43 AM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

You're beating on a dead horse here , look back though all the posts about this 'public login' server, and you'll see where nothing good ever comes out of these discussions.
It's something that's going to be the way it's going to be, there will be no changes, and if you don't like it, well, you can always 'lump it' ( no offense intended by me, but I sure wish someone would prove me wrong!).
Old 09-05-2008, 11:48 AM
Secrets
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelox View Post
You're beating on a dead horse here , look back though all the posts about this 'public login' server, and you'll see where nothing good ever comes out of these discussions.
It's something that's going to be the way it's going to be, there will be no changes, and if you don't like it, well, you can always 'lump it' ( no offense intended by me, but I sure wish someone would prove me wrong!).
Yah, these topics never go anywhere, you're right.

But, yet, it's here... soo... now what do we do? :P
Old 09-05-2008, 03:30 PM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Again I'll state the way the Login server should be- and this is not because i want to be mean or put anyone out, it's just the way things should be.
In Diablo (Blizzard), there's three types, the 'Ladder', the 'Normal', and the 'Do what you want' servers.
we need something like this;
First of all, anyone who starts a new server, should be placed in an area where they will not interfere with the already running and stable servers. Lets say you have a server going for a month, then you get pushed up to another status.
There should be a division of servers made up for Legit servers only, and maybe a forum of server administrators who will vote on who stays or goes. The reason for a server to go , would be because its not following legit rules that were posted at the Forum. As a matter of fact, even the Custom servers could fall in that category, so long as they are legit.
Then there will be the 'free-for-all' group, which there is no control and you can do as you please.
But this is just a suggestion for a start to a change for the better (does not have to be like that).
What We really need is a group of people that can vote on what to do and has control over the Public Login. Even if we had to ask someone to make us a new Login, I think we should. I know people say it can't be done, but with people like Derision around, I don't believe that's true anymore.
I know this is all radical, but, we need to change. I have two pets in the house - and I love them with a passion. If I ever started getting bored and stopped caring for them, I would make sure I found someone else to care for them.
Same thing goes for all these forums, logins and source. If you got bored or tired, please pass it over to someone who cares! Just always remember all the people who put work into all this.

When it comes to EqEmu History, a good outline is in the changelog.
I feel guilty because I finally figured out a big piece of the changelog is missing from when EqEmu started. These people are part of this 'story' and should not be forgotten!

Anyways Mr Derision; When you gonna make us a new Login server? - Just joking.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:22 PM
hayward6
Forum Guide

I completely agree with having brackets and time frames for servers. I've been open for only a couple months now, and I would hate to see people leave a long running server for mine, or that just having mine mixed with everyone is enough to throw off numbers. Fact is I have no intention of leaving, but history shows that most servers don't last. I also think that people with exceptional work on the forward progress of the emulator should have some say in the setup... Angelox is a perfect example of someone devoted to the advancement of the emu and his opinion and voice should be heard loud and clear. There are plenty of other hard working individuals that could form some kind of council...
Old 09-05-2008, 09:12 PM
Rogean
Administrator

I was contacted and asked about Zeb getting green, thats pretty much it.

I'v been thinking of making some system where people could nominate popular servers for green names, just not sure how I want to go about it. Don't want something where anyone can get their hands on a green name.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:39 PM
hayward6
Forum Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean View Post
I was contacted and asked about Zeb getting green, thats pretty much it.

I'v been thinking of making some system where people could nominate popular servers for green names, just not sure how I want to go about it. Don't want something where anyone can get their hands on a green name.
Woah! you're in Massachusetts too?
Old 09-05-2008, 10:44 PM
Rogean
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayward6 View Post
Woah! you're in Massachusetts too?
Uh. Maybe. :>
Old 09-06-2008, 02:36 PM
hayward6
Forum Guide

Ah Internet secret identity I see P

Quote:
Uh. Maybe. :>
Old 09-06-2008, 04:40 PM
Rogean
Administrator

I do.

Brockton Area.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:02 PM
Mexenlives
Fire Beetle

Possibly a public vote? candidates would have to have a server running constant anywere from 1-3 months? IMHO its a start =D
Old 09-06-2008, 09:11 PM
hayward6
Forum Guide

Quote:
I do.

Brockton Area.
East Bridgewater here