Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:20 PM
trevius
Developer

Default RoF2 Client Comes to EQEmu!

I recommend that everyone get the Everquest Free to Play client from Steam ASAP:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/205710/

(Make sure to just get the Free to Play one, as there is no need to buy the latest expansion on there since they are both the same download.)

Install Instructions for RoF2 can be found on the Play Guide.

Many are already aware of this client due to the development tracking thread, but the client is now finalized enough to make an official news post for it.

This download is still considered RoF Expansion, but it is a different patch (about 6 months later). We are calling it the "RoF2" client. Even if you don't switch over to it immediately, I highly recommend everyone get in now in case SOE decides to patch the version that has been on Steam since May 10th 2013.

This new client is nearly 100% as compatible with EQEmu as the UF and previous clients are. For the latest status of development for this client, refer to the Steam RoF2 Development Tracking thread.

The stability and performance of this client seems to be far better than any previous EQEmu client due to a high focus by the SOE team to improve these areas of code around that time. It is 3 years newer than the Underfoot client, which isn't quite as far of a jump as going from Titanium to Underfoot, but it is still enough of a jump to see very noticeable improvements immediately.

There are too many cool new features to list them all. Here are a few highlights off the top of my head:
  1. Augmenting has never been easier. No more aug pool or combines. You simply put the aug in a slot in the item and remove it in the same way you would put something into a bag.
  2. Clickies can now be used from inside bags!
  3. More hotkey bars available.
  4. Copy layout, hotkeys, and more to easily setup multiple characters UIs.
  5. Hero's Forge Armor Models are available, but server's need to implement them into their database and content to make them available to players (some servers are already doing this).
  6. New 6th aug slot available for items (requires server owners to add them to their database as desired).
  7. More inventory space and bigger bags. There are 2 more main inventory slots and the client can handle at least 100 slot bags (and probably even bigger). This still needs to have support added to EQEmu for it, but it is already in development (no ETA).
  8. Even more NPC Races, new Zones, and an insane number of new Weapon and Armor models and item icons.
  9. Lots of memory and performance tweaks as well as increased stability. This is great for anyone that boxes multiple accounts.
  10. Tons of new minor features and options such as hotkeys showing cooldown timers on them and options to be able to click through yourself and/or your pet/merc if you prefer 3rd person view.

Note that not all servers currently support this client, but there is a decent list so far including PEQ, EZ, Storm Haven, and I am sure at least a handful of others. As more servers update their source code, this client will be useable on them as well.

There are still a few issues to work out such as Bazaar trading and some Guild Functionality, but overall the RoF2 client is very functional and polished. The Dev team is still working hard to resolve the remaining issues.

Last edited by Akkadius; 12-30-2014 at 12:59 AM..
Old 12-29-2014, 05:07 PM
vsab
Discordant

Awesome work, downloading now!
Old 12-29-2014, 11:35 PM
zeldik
Sarnak

2. Clickies can now be used from inside bags!
4. Copy layout, hotkeys, and more to easily setup multiple characters UIs.
7. More inventory space and bigger bags.
9. Lots of memory and performance tweaks as well as increased stability.

Sweet features especially UI one got so tired of setting up NEW UI hots and such for every toon on every server .
Old 12-30-2014, 12:25 AM
trevius
Developer

Here is a few more features from the RoF+ clients that I found while searching through the old RoF dev thread which are pretty nice:

- Hot buttons now have right-click and hold menus to allow for customizations in size, icon, labels and more.
- Empty bags can now be placed in other bags.
- Mount control has been tightened up considerably. When using a mount you will reach top speed much faster than before, and stop even faster. While in combat, the movement is still tighter than before, but not as responsive as when out of combat.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:45 AM
CometNest
Fire Beetle

Default Question

Do I need to run the game and login to the Everquest server to finish the install before disabling patches, or as soon as the download finishes do I just go to the install directory and move the files (for backup and playing purposes)? I have never downloaded a legit client version before so not sure. I have always had to use 'underground' means of obtaining an Everquest client that was compatible with the EMU. Is there some 'client number' or 'build number' I can use to verify that my version is compatible? Also, I assume I will need to update my servers code in order for it to function with this client? Haven't updated my server in about 4 months.

Thanks for all the work you all do on this project. I truly appreciate it as nothing beats being able to go back and play this game however I please - with god mode.

Keep up the good work!
Old 12-30-2014, 01:46 AM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

CometNest, you can just move your files, do not log in because your client will patch. You can just move it and change your eqhost.txt file.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:43 AM
CometNest
Fire Beetle

Default Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply Kingly_Krab. Wasn't sure if just downloading the client gave everything necessary or not as he said they haven't patched since 2013. So I didn't know if this meant I needed to patch after downloading or not. Again, thanks. Saved me from accidentally patching and then having to delete and re-download.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:44 AM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

Haha, you're welcome, that would have been a huge inconvenience.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:48 AM
vsab
Discordant

Do we need .txc files from a titanium install (I've not included them)? I've done a diff of steam vs titanium and there are 200+ files missing, and compared to live 700+ files are missing (although ROF2 is 2 expansions behind now).
Titanium: http://wiki.eqemulator.org/i?Module=...Paste=bOBVCPI9
Live:- http://wiki.eqemulator.org/i?Module=...Paste=DhuJ4nDA

Last edited by vsab; 12-30-2014 at 05:01 AM.. Reason: added links
Old 12-30-2014, 11:29 AM
trevius
Developer

Again, for anyone installing the client, you can refer to the Play Guide as linked in the news post. It includes information for setting up the client like making sure not to patch and to just copy your files.

vsab,

The missing Titanium files look like they are mostly the zone files for zones that have been replaced with newer versions. This is the same issue as we have seen with the UF client. In order to access the old versions of the zones, you would need to copy the zone files over from an older client (such as Titanium, SoF, or SoD). They started removing old zones with the UF client and I am sure it will remain that way for all clients going forward.

The RoF2 client is still much more complete than the base UF client from Steam was. The base UF client was missing files other than just the zone files and even included a partial dbstr_us.txt file which means there were a lot of unknown db string errors for stuff like AAs, spells and others. The RoF2 client is a complete client, but it is just missing the old zone files that are no longer used on Live.

I don't think any of the Live files would be needed, though you may be able to copy some over to get access to newer stuff like maybe new Icons and Weapon/Armor models.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:06 AM
Volley
Fire Beetle

Having read this and got all excited
I followed the steps on the installation guide having downloaded today. It informs me the client may not be compatible. (I have not patched the client, Followed the instructions to the "T" Please don't tell me they have patched already? or am I a NEEEWWBB..

Many thanks
Old 01-03-2015, 06:54 PM
tdheysus2k
Fire Beetle

One small issue I have noticed with the F2P client, is with getting a clicky shortcut from an inventory slot and dragging it to the hotbar.

detail:
-top level inventory slot with a clicky item in it.

-by left-clicking and holding(then getting an icon that can be placed on the hotbar) instead of the inventory item, it keeps pulling up my charm slot item.

-so now my charm slot item icon is on my cursor, if I try to put that icon on my hotbar, it just disappears.

I tried this on my own server, and thought it was something that I may have screwed up, so I tried it on EZ server and the same conditions happened there as well. (clicking on top level inventory item, only to have the charm slot appear on my cursor) on EZ server I left-clicked(held) on an inventory item, and the Noobie Charm v1 appeared on my cursor.

-on both servers, the charm slot shortcut icon appeared on my cursor, when I was no where close to clicking on my charm slot (I was in the inventory)
Old 01-03-2015, 07:12 PM
tdheysus2k
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdheysus2k View Post
One small issue I have noticed with the F2P client, is with getting a clicky shortcut from an inventory slot and dragging it to the hotbar.

detail:
-top level inventory slot with a clicky item in it.

-by left-clicking and holding(then getting an icon that can be placed on the hotbar) instead of the inventory item, it keeps pulling up my charm slot item.

-so now my charm slot item icon is on my cursor, if I try to put that icon on my hotbar, it just disappears.

I tried this on my own server, and thought it was something that I may have screwed up, so I tried it on EZ server and the same conditions happened there as well. (clicking on top level inventory item, only to have the charm slot appear on my cursor) on EZ server I left-clicked(held) on an inventory item, and the Noobie Charm v1 appeared on my cursor.

-on both servers, the charm slot shortcut icon appeared on my cursor, when I was no where close to clicking on my charm slot (I was in the inventory)
Please disregard my previous post. I just read in the Dev thread, that apparently, this is a known issue:

5. Item Hotkeys - The new Item Hotkey always shows the item in the Charm slot due to an issue with how item headers are serialized now. This is a new feature in addition to the old slot based hotkeys.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:50 PM
trevius
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volley View Post
Having read this and got all excited
I followed the steps on the installation guide having downloaded today. It informs me the client may not be compatible. (I have not patched the client, Followed the instructions to the "T" Please don't tell me they have patched already? or am I a NEEEWWBB..

Many thanks
Where are you getting the message that it may not be compatible? What screen/step are you on from the playguide?

Doesn't look like they have updated the download yet according to this:
https://steamdb.info/app/205710/

And on the topic of hotkeys, you can still make the old slot based hotkeys by holding ALT+Click instead of just holding Click. In RoF2, holding Click now creates an item-based hotkey that will follow the item if you move it around your inventory. This new feature has not been implemented, but hopefully will be before too long (at the very least to reduce confusion as many people have posted about this "issue").
Old 01-04-2015, 12:40 AM
Uleat
Developer

The link in your signature points to a wiki page that only lists Titanium.

I need to find my password so I can log in and update it :P

Compilin' Dirty