Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Feature Requests

Development::Feature Requests Post suggestions/feature requests here.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:05 AM
BWStripes
Sarnak

Default Zone instances/boot to login on mass port/zone

I (and others) seem to have a lot of trouble porting around in a group or zoning many people into dynamic zones near simultaneously.

When a group hits the zone, a few things can happen, but mainly clients either get chucked in different instances, and/or get booted to login. This may be related to the speed of the server, but it happens on PEQ.

I'm guessing maybe a check for a load in progress, or a client FIFO queue could iron this out. Whilst the zone is loading, load the clients into a queue, then shunt them once the zone is in a booted state.

Bah, even thinking about the checks this needs to do makes me wince :p
Old 08-18-2007, 09:31 PM
gernblan
Discordant

Yes, I've watched this happen also on my server, and believe me, it's no slouch in terms of speed. What is happening is that the dynamic zone is often being booted multiple times when a group of toons hits it (group port).

Somehow, zone needs to better understand this and only accept all of those clients into the same instance.

What also happens frequently is that all of those clients get booted because zone simply crashes. Sometimes world does too.
Jest 4 Server
Linux (Jest3 runs on Fedora, our Dev servers usually run on Ubuntu and/or Gentoo), OC-12 Connection = Hella Fast
Old 08-20-2007, 11:37 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by gernblan View Post
What also happens frequently is that all of those clients get booted because zone simply crashes. Sometimes world does too.
Wow, I wonder if that's what is crashing my world/server as well? I hadn't thought of that, but every once in a while, the server (I mean the entire box) locks up solid. Have to hit Reset...

Remember the days when faster PCs came out, and old games went to crap because they ran too fast? Yeah... Hmm.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:33 PM
gernblan
Discordant

Yeah, I think that some polishing of that code is needed. Something (I would not know what though it's beyond me) would have to be done to make this more failsafe.
Jest 4 Server
Linux (Jest3 runs on Fedora, our Dev servers usually run on Ubuntu and/or Gentoo), OC-12 Connection = Hella Fast
Old 02-05-2008, 12:58 AM
sdabbs65
Dragon

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gernblan View Post
Yeah, I think that some polishing of that code is needed. Something (I would not know what though it's beyond me) would have to be done to make this more failsafe.

an easy fix would be to make certin zones static.
I know it's eats up cpu, but it has to be done for the port spells to work
correctly.

www.cheaterz.info