Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Feature Requests

Development::Feature Requests Post suggestions/feature requests here.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:41 AM
Karayrem
Sarnak

Default Expedition System

It would be nice to have this system implemented to the code. Seeing a couple of Servers already has this system implemented, makes me wonder why it hasn't been implemented to eqemu especially for a server / database system like PEQ that most of us use.

I could see a lot of beneficial for a lot of us that aren't too C++ savy to have on their server.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:58 PM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

This code would take some time, and the servers that have it are not willing to release it to the public for obvious reasons. But I can see it happening some time, not soon though, when it's 100% necessary to have it.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:18 PM
Karayrem
Sarnak

yeah I can imagine it's a lot of work. But I can also see why PEQ is stalled at GoD for obvious reasons.

Perl raid instancing is so cumbersome and error-prone. It's just not part of emulating a client but rather a work around it.

Just hoping to see it get implemented soon.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:47 PM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

I surely doubt that it will get implemented with haste, as it is a huge system and not a lot of people feel up to tackling such a huge part of it. I believe EQTitan has the system as well, however the servers that DO have it will not release it, to my understanding it is because it was a lot of work for them to do it, why just hand it out? Although that may be false, it is my current understanding, and I, too, hope the Expedition system is added to the game. Maybe even the useless RoF housing system, haha, that'd all be really cool. All we can do is wait!
Old 06-02-2013, 01:50 PM
demonstar55
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingly_Krab View Post
why just hand it out?
Then why do they feel they can just take all the work all the EQEmu devs have done since 2003 and not give back?

But to answer the question, the more seasoned devs feel there is a lot of other work that needs to be done before expeditions, such as revamping the raid system, since it's buggy :P
Old 06-02-2013, 01:58 PM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

I was saying their way of thinking is to not just hand it out, the people who DO have it.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:18 PM
wolfwalkereci
Discordant

Who else besides EQTitan (I take it the eqemu dev team doesnt care for them) and Akkadius, have a working expedition system?

Considering how much Akkadius shares back and how helpful he is I take the opinion that he can do whatever he wants.
If it was anyone else, that just asks constantly for help and somehow managed to figure something out on their own, I would expect them to do the right thing and share that shit back to the community.

Either way they (whomever they may be) probably have a thought process that does not mirror mine or yours and that is their right.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:29 AM
KLS
Administrator

Akkadius is just busy, he gives a lot back to the project. The system isn't actually that complicated. The hardest part was figuring out the packets which I've had done for a long while.

Perhaps after we get our Lua Parser in we'll revisit getting this system in. That's a couple weeks out at least though.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:55 PM
vanayr
Fire Beetle

Any good word on this one?
Old 04-15-2014, 12:25 AM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

Question: what is the functional difference between an Expedition and LDON Mission?
What can expedition do that LDON mission can't?
I only did 1 expedition back on Live during GoD expansion and don't recall if it was any different from a typical LDON.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:32 AM
moofta
Sarnak

I'm a little puzzled by the terminology - I guess I took these for granted on Live. But basically these are part of the task system, except you get shared tasks that are almost always related to an instance (can't think of any that aren't tbh). This includes raids.

Since PEQ has GoD raids down I assume that they have used a workaround, or GoD uses a slightly different system than later expansions.

The main difference off the top of my head is that in later expansions group instances are part of the task system- they are considered "shared tasks". You can add new people to your task almost any time, although they tend to lock just before the last fight, to stop you task-adding (TA'ing) people at the last minute. That said you can still /taskadd people and they get credit even if they are in POK.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:44 AM
Esildor
Hill Giant

As Moofta said, group/raid tasks use the /taskadd on live.

I know for a fact in addition to those we had /dzadd, and I also think there was a /expadd but I'm not 100% on that.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:15 AM
Kayen
Developer

Expeditions and Shared Tasks are completely different entities.

Expedition system was originally implemented in Gates of Discord. It is essentially a way in which to manage group/raid instances and set lock out times on them. The system basically let you start an instance, then add and remove players from that instance. When criteria were met it would set a lock out on that instance for x duration. You can only be in one expedition at a time.

Tasks/Shared tasks were implemented in DoN. While you can have multiple solo tasks, you can only have 1 shared task at a time. Shared tasks essentially are a task in which the entire group gets an update whenever criteria is met. You can receive this task update even if you are outside of the zone where it is obtained.

These are two major systems that have yet to be implemented on the emulator and most devs have stopped holding their breath waiting for them. Many servers have implemented their own versions of these using complicated perl scripts (there are many ways to accomplish them).

I would love to see them implemented but it is little over my head.

Kayen
Old 04-15-2014, 09:42 AM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayen View Post
Expeditions and Shared Tasks are completely different entities.

Expedition system was originally implemented in Gates of Discord. It is essentially a way in which to manage group/raid instances and set lock out times on them. The system basically let you start an instance, then add and remove players from that instance. When criteria were met it would set a lock out on that instance for x duration. You can only be in one expedition at a time.

Tasks/Shared tasks were implemented in DoN. While you can have multiple solo tasks, you can only have 1 shared task at a time. Shared tasks essentially are a task in which the entire group gets an update whenever criteria is met. You can receive this task update even if you are outside of the zone where it is obtained.

These are two major systems that have yet to be implemented on the emulator and most devs have stopped holding their breath waiting for them. Many servers have implemented their own versions of these using complicated perl scripts (there are many ways to accomplish them).

I would love to see them implemented but it is little over my head.

Kayen
I will be sharing mine soon.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:28 AM
demonstar55
Demi-God

With the mentioning of shared tasks, I would also like to point out that expeditions are always instanced (I think, I'm not aware of any that aren't) while shared tasks aren't, but can be.

Basically they all add different capabilities to uests and raids etc. But mostly on EQEmu they've been hacked together using the current instancing system :P