Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Bug Reports

Development::Bug Reports Post detailed bug reports and what you would like to see next in the emu here.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:39 AM
Riklin
Hill Giant

Default Mercs Attack Rate Way too fast?!!

Code compiled on 1/13/2015. Database version at 9066. server is a windows 8 core AMD with 32gig ram.

The problem I am running into is that mercs (the rogues at least) are hitting WAY, WAY too fast. They are striking 2-4 times a second! I can walk up to the alleazaur or even the fabled one and the rogue merc will kill it in like 10 seconds! That npc has 42000 hp! I shouldn't even be able to kill it!

To attempt to fix this I have tried lowering the attack_speed value in the merc_stats table, but that does not seem to do anything. I have added 18 to the attack_speed (the lower the number the faster they attack), but that still does not seem to affect the merc hit rate. Their damage is truly amazing. They hit for 59ish at my level, but hit for so many hits that it just kills before taking much damage.

Has anyone else reported something like this?

I ask because if the mercs are hitting correctly for other people, then maybe this is an issue with the EQ client (Underfoot) and multi core AMD CPUs. I have tried the commands to use only a single core, but the mercs attack the same.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 01-11-2015, 07:43 AM
Kayen
Developer

I suspect 'attack_delay' is not being set correctly for them.

'attack_speed' does nothing it was replaced by 'attack_delay' but i do not see the field in the merc table.

It most likely is attacking with 0 delay.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:49 PM
bakajikara
Sarnak

WOW i wished they killed that fast on SH server be nice must be AMD issue as i never seen one do it that fast lol.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:14 PM
Riklin
Hill Giant

I've got 3 different versions of the database, an old unpatched one from 2013, a current one that has been patched and a database that is brand new based on the September 2014 database. When merc_stats table exists, it has the fields attack_count and attack_speed.

The column attack_delay is not in the database at this time, so is the situation I am running in to a merc bug or a client bug? I have tried this with an AMD 8 core, a 6 core, a 4 core and a 2 core. It works exactly the same way in all cases. These machines are all running between 3.2 ghz and 5.0 ghz...

If I cannot get these mercs to work, I may have to disable them. I don't believe EQ is supposed to be easy. One of the things we typically like about the game, the lure that keeps us coming back, is the little victories (addiction to stat blue text, etc.) and the major ones, like leveling, as well as the major one of new gear, so that we get new spells to figure out. Hiring a merc that is a "bloody ginsoo", leaving a wake of chopped up pieces of any red mob within 10 levels, you encounter, is totally unfair, imo...
Old 01-12-2015, 11:35 AM
trevius
Developer

I think at lower levels, mercs are currently overpowered, but it balances out quite a bit at higher levels depending on your server content difficulty. Merc stats can be adjusted in the merc_stats table with some fairly simple queries if you need. I would have to double check, but I think you may even be able to just adjust the scale field to have them scale down to whatever rate you think feels right (50%, 25%, whatever). I am not positive offhand if that is currently functional, but I am sure it wouldn't be too hard to add if not.

Mercs are still in development to work out the remaining bugs, but they are fairly functional at this point (compared to how they were in the past).
Old 01-20-2015, 09:46 PM
dagulus2
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riklin View Post
Code compiled on 1/13/2015. Database version at 9066. server is a windows 8 core AMD with 32gig ram.

The problem I am running into is that mercs (the rogues at least) are hitting WAY, WAY too fast. They are striking 2-4 times a second! I can walk up to the alleazaur or even the fabled one and the rogue merc will kill it in like 10 seconds! That npc has 42000 hp! I shouldn't even be able to kill it!

To attempt to fix this I have tried lowering the attack_speed value in the merc_stats table, but that does not seem to do anything. I have added 18 to the attack_speed (the lower the number the faster they attack), but that still does not seem to affect the merc hit rate. Their damage is truly amazing. They hit for 59ish at my level, but hit for so many hits that it just kills before taking much damage.

Has anyone else reported something like this?
Turns out I am having this exact same issue. For every time an NPC strikes the Merc is making 10 or more melee attacks. It's like feeding mobs through a blender.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:16 PM
Aristoxenus
Fire Beetle

Currently attack_delay for mercs is not being set in the code. To fix it you can find the line in merc.cpp that says:
attack_speed = npc_type->attack_speed;
and insert a line under it that says
attack_delay = 36 + 36 * (npc_type->attack_speed / 100);
Old 01-31-2015, 02:25 AM
demonstar55
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristoxenus View Post
Currently attack_delay for mercs is not being set in the code. To fix it you can find the line in merc.cpp that says:
attack_speed = npc_type->attack_speed;
and insert a line under it that says
attack_delay = 36 + 36 * (npc_type->attack_speed / 100);
Lies! this was fixed sometime yesterday.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:17 PM
Riklin
Hill Giant

Wow! Time to turn Mercs back on and test it again...

Thanks!

Riklin
Old 02-09-2015, 01:55 PM
Riklin
Hill Giant

Btw... I turned on the mercs and tested it again. MUCH better! They swing and hit like normal players. No more ginsoo machines!

Tags
attack rate, mercs