Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 10:14 PM
Vast
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Last time server went down for 2 weeks cause of Obama alot of people quit the game
WTF?

Anywho, CD if you do decide to start up a new box and want some help with the capital just most the paypal link.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:37 PM
renoofturks1
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostriderdoom View Post
Last time server went down for 2 weeks cause of Obama alot of people quit the game
More likely just the normal population fluctuations that occur. As of last week, the population was commonly over 200, considerably higher than the summer peaks of 120-140. It happens every year, higher during early winter and early summer, tapering off during mid-summer and the spring.

And Vast, wtf? Try logging on every now and then, I tire of insulting Nork. It no longer amuses me. And to top it all off, Paladin's are popping up everywhere, it's getting out of hand! Damn plague!
Old 12-19-2008, 01:33 AM
unknownhost
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayot View Post
Oh the irony...

Wonder if they'll release the Tabala Raza server code and database if I ask nicely. Never played it, but it would be fun to have it and the game on hand should I ever decide too.
wish they would do stuff like this.
i really wanted to give tabula rasa a chance back when i first heard of it and that Garriot(sp?) was doing it. donno what happen but i lost track and then boom it was out and alot of the reviews i read were tales of suckage.

love to give it a try now, anyone know of other mmorpg's that have shut down relasing any kind of code? i know AC2 closed but as far as i know they never released anything publicly??
Old 12-19-2008, 01:48 AM
Loccochris
Fire Beetle

No MMORPG developer would ever release their code. With so much investment into making them even just holding rights to engine/code/name is worth not releasing it.

Closest thing to what you want would have to be Ragnorok(sp) online which had a leak of their entire server code. Essentially the years it takes to reverse engineer an emulator they went from 0% done to 100% done in matter of minutes. Illegal of course but that is not going to stop servers from popping up with the server code. If they try to shut down a site another will just pop up, so most companies don't even bother just like with pirating software safety in masses and mobility.

As for a list of emulated servers aka freeshard games:

UO
EQ
Ragnorok Online (actual copy of live code)
Lineage
Lineage II
DAoC
WoW
Asherons Call

Supposedly Maplestory but I have yet to see this done. People claim it is impossible, I can only assume NCGuard blocks any type of packet sniffer which is going to be a big problem heh. Sad too cause I would think the time to actually reverse engineer a 2d side scrolling game would be a fraction of all that is EQ or a similar 3d game. Not exactly all that much packet sniffing I would think game has limited controls.

EQII is in alpha testing, one would estimate a playable version and beta within a year.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:07 AM
unknownhost
Sarnak

wow, i didnt realize there was a daoc emu available!

i gotta say ima about to do some searching! was quite involved in that game at its release, my guild even held #1 realm points on our server for that time...many memories there. wow i bet by now it even has non-pvp content...

hehe thanks you just gave me somthing to do!
Old 12-19-2008, 05:19 AM
tlbww
Fire Beetle

Tabula Rasa is one of the shortest lived MMos every made that I know. Right up there next to it is Hellgate London.

Funny thingabout Tabula Rasa. I paid for a suscription about 4 days before it went under publicly. I asked for a refund for unrelated hardware issues and it was reinstated. Then I get an email saying that the servers will be doing down next month and I get to play for free. Talk about luck. They only give this priviledge to those that subscribed before the cut off date of their announced retirement.

PlayNc is pushing Lineage and that new game Aion on me now... I've played Lineage but I'm more interested in Aion though my comp would probably explode when I install it.`
Old 12-19-2008, 05:28 AM
unknownhost
Sarnak

man i donno how long this fix will last as i always felt daoc was a totally inferior pvE game to eq but with very decent pvp aspects (as a stealther at least). quit playing the game due to my class being a key one who got floundered hard with the nerf bat in a nasty series of patchs early on and, well, it pissed me off and i lost alotta interest...

Dawn of Light

like how they've done things. seems to be amazingly simple thus far but lets see what digging deeper turns up. nice to see mysql in use to start off...
Old 12-19-2008, 06:13 AM
kiirdiir
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loccochris View Post
No MMORPG developer would ever release their code.
Quote:
"Cyan Worlds, Inc., creators of the Myst franchise, has decided to make their unsuccessful MMORPG Myst Online: Uru Live into an open source game. They will release all the source code for the client, server, and tools.
http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl...8/12/13/041200
Old 12-19-2008, 11:28 AM
porigromus
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loccochris View Post
No MMORPG developer would ever release their code. With so much investment into making them even just holding rights to engine/code/name is worth not releasing it.

Closest thing to what you want would have to be Ragnorok(sp) online which had a leak of their entire server code. Essentially the years it takes to reverse engineer an emulator they went from 0% done to 100% done in matter of minutes. Illegal of course but that is not going to stop servers from popping up with the server code. If they try to shut down a site another will just pop up, so most companies don't even bother just like with pirating software safety in masses and mobility.

As for a list of emulated servers aka freeshard games:

UO
EQ
Ragnorok Online (actual copy of live code)
Lineage
Lineage II
DAoC
WoW
Asherons Call

Supposedly Maplestory but I have yet to see this done. People claim it is impossible, I can only assume NCGuard blocks any type of packet sniffer which is going to be a big problem heh. Sad too cause I would think the time to actually reverse engineer a 2d side scrolling game would be a fraction of all that is EQ or a similar 3d game. Not exactly all that much packet sniffing I would think game has limited controls.

EQII is in alpha testing, one would estimate a playable version and beta within a year.

To bad EQ trilogy wasn't leaked. : P At least the code would still be in tact. SOE claims they don't have it anymore from that time period .. but I always doubt that. Wouldn't an intelligent company keep archives?
Old 12-19-2008, 02:53 PM
Kayot
Discordant

I think I'll send an e-mail to the staff at Tabala Raza, the worst they can do is say no.

I figure if they can put a DO NOT SELL in their clause for the server, they might just release a compiled server publicly. Sure that means it can't have bug fixes, but maybe releasing the server code might help offset their losses through game sales. Read as, release the server, not the client. It's evil, I know... But as things stand right now, they wont even pull a profit. If nothing else, maybe they can make a minilogin type server like eqemu did...

As for PEQ, I hope it comes back soon. I had a bunch of suggestions (Not DB related) for the server.

God doesn't give second chances... Hell, he sets you up the first time.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:15 PM
Pyjamarama
Fire Beetle

I know that a group of players tried to buy the rights to the Saga of Ryzom and then release it to the public, but it never happened because other companies always outbid them... and always failed to make a profit.

You can read about it here: http://www.ryzom.org

I'm guessing that at least a third of all new MMOs coming out will be shut down within a few years. Things that depend on profit for survival have a short lifespan, whereas things in the public domain are essentially immortal. So I definitely believe EQEmu will outlive SOE. Hopefully PEQ will be back up soon...
Old 12-19-2008, 11:02 PM
elation
Sarnak

Have we heard anything else? I'm really bored out of my skull and craving some EQ.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:35 AM
Vast
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno The Ranger
And Vast, wtf? Try logging on every now and then, I tire of insulting Nork. It no longer amuses me. And to top it all off, Paladin's are popping up everywhere, it's getting out of hand! Damn plague!
Hard to do when the server isn't up :P Actually, I was gearing up to come back when this all went down. If it ever gets going again we'll see. Sad part is from all the servers left there really aren't any contenders for a PEQ clone. The ones that are close to PEQ are the fly-by-night type and fuck investing that amount of time in toons only to have it drop off in 2 months.

I think I'll pretty much wait and see what CD does. If he decides to pursuit it, I'll support him financially, if not, well then my social life will continue to not suck
Old 12-21-2008, 04:47 PM
tlbww
Fire Beetle

My Xmas and New year wish is for PEQ to both come back, come back stronger than ever, come back to stay, and a PS3 =)
Old 12-21-2008, 05:06 PM
liquest
"Special" Member

i was wondering whats a good substitute for pew being down
Closed Thread