Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:25 PM
planesofpower
Fire Beetle

Default Planes of Power (Semi Custom)

In the interest of wanting to play some casual Planes of Power with a friend we have a new server up and running in the EU on a dedicated host in london

This is mostly similar to the standard peq setup for PoP with some minor changes (mainly as an experiment) such as the Plane of Knowledge being completely disabled

Features/Overview
* EU
* Latest PEQDB set to Expansion Planes of Power
* Most defiant removed
* (CUSTOM!) Plane of Knowledge is disabled to facilitate classic travel
* Min and recommended requirements on items have been removed
* Several adjustments and fixes for zone files, changes etc
* Free mercs for soloers

Spell files
* http://planesofpower.wordpress.com

Server Specs
* Quad core, 8gb ram 40 dynamic zones
* Gigabit connection

Launch Period XP Bonuses
* 10x XP, 10x AAXP
Old 04-20-2015, 04:04 AM
vsab
Discordant

How would you get to Plane of Tranquility then?
Old 04-20-2015, 08:21 AM
planesofpower
Fire Beetle

you get a blessing from quellious through a quick quest at level 46
Old 04-22-2015, 11:46 AM
Trubles
Sarnak

spellscirber?
Old 05-04-2015, 05:06 PM
lupisnoctum
Sarnak

I gotta ask, even though I'll probably regret the answer... Why would you name your server "Planes of Power" and then disable PoK which was the very centerpiece of that expansion? Sure, I'm ready for the classic cries of "omg pok ports ruined EQ," which they didn't unless you were a greedy druid or wizard, lol.

I guess if you want to go to all the trouble of moving everything around just so that so that people can't travel properly that's your prerogative. However, I can't see the real point of doing something that requires a lot of work arounds and practically guarantees a small-to-zero population. Remember, PoK isn't just about travel, it's also integral to the expansion and provides the first real hub the game had.

I would suggest enabling PoK and properly implementing it. If Johnny Jigglebelly wants to walk everywhere, he still can. But he probably won't if he can click his way there, he'll just bitch about the fact that he can... There's still plenty of walking for those who really dig pushing the "forward" button on their keyboard even with PoK.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:52 PM
Uleat
Developer

I thought that the East Commonlands 'tunnel' was the first hub

Compilin' Dirty
Old 05-04-2015, 07:08 PM
Shendare
Dragon

GFay, then EC, then PoK was the general progression.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:42 PM
sunbeam
Sarnak

I started playing about a year or so after launch (maybe less; I remember when rogues couldn't evade or be invisible to undead and other things at the same time - and when a level one could walk through L. Guk in perfect safety because absolutely everything was camped. And when Treants in S. Karana was a big xp deal).

But I never saw a time when EC wasn't the trading place of Norrath.

It surprised me to find out on the boards that it was GFay on some servers, and even N. Freeport on a few.

Never could figure out how N. Freeport worked in there. I guess the bank was closer than EC, but evils still had the banking problem, and EC was a pretty decent location being close to Nektulos, Freeport, and close relatively speaking to Oggok and Grobb (and you could travel to Faydwer pretty easily).

That said I'm not really grokking how not having PoK works on the server in question. The xp is nice, makes a different kind of thing, like seeing how well you can do on a straight server by being able to get all the AA you ever wanted (quickly enough for it not to be a drag).

But the world is pretty big by the time we have Kunark, Velious, Luclin, and the Planes in.

Interesting though. But I guess you can forget about ever grouping with anyone else unless you make a real special effort to be in the same place.

Also couldn't figure out if boxing was allowed, or Macroquest. I don't like boxing or warping, but Homey ain't got no more time to waste on outdoor spawns, so the MQ map is something I really go for now

Still an interesting idea.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:13 AM
MrDali
Fire Beetle

Well .. tried it out, and guess they weren't that into it as the server went awol
Old 06-07-2015, 12:54 AM
Burningsoul
Discordant

Big surprise. Seemed like a lot of hype mixed with some legitimate concerns they didn't answer here. And again - classic travel on a server without 100+ population isn't always a good idea. I can go sit on a boat on my own server and talk to myself.

Tags
pop server