Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:14 AM
Demi-God

Default Opinion from Community

I wanted to suggest an idea I had to try and make a possible different approach to the issue at hand.

Some people have suggested a WoWEmu like alternative where servers handle their own login servers and I would like to see what people think of this design.

1) run your own public server with unlimited users, but a limitation of 3 world servers per login.
2) a statistics site which will post the login server name, a short description, the active users/zones/players (and worlds within).
3) There will be a limitation that will require your login server to connect to the main statistics, however there will be a large gap of time that they can be disconnected between each other and the login server still function.
Member of the "I hate devn00b" club.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:20 AM
Aergad
Banned

Im for it personally 1 world server 3 50 doesnt matter to me im not planning on hosting other peoples servers on my personal setup but I like your idea none the less

The only drawback i see is whether or not the current emu staff would agree with this and setup the site and statistics server, seems to be dependant on what athey say in that reguards unless you setup or someone else volenteered to setup the statistics aspect of it

other then that one little hiccup i say wholeheartedly yes
Old 03-29-2009, 12:22 AM
Demi-God

Most of this was already programmed into the base login server, we had Master/Slave/Mesh servers, just needs to be updated.
Member of the "I hate devn00b" club.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:25 AM
Aergad
Banned

well then by all means lol

I just hope that this doesnt turn into something that is totally dependant on the emu staff to maintain or be able to stop its progress by not putting the site up here for the stats
Old 03-29-2009, 12:28 AM
Aergad
Banned

I guess what im saying is is there a backup plan to the stats site being here at the main emu site or do you have a plan for if they dont want to go this route

EDIT:

thats what i was getting at lol

If you guys need any help with the stats aspect lemme know im also trying to come up with a way to transfer players characters to new accounts

image told me i need to get with you about that part though cause your the DB guy

Last edited by Aergad; 03-29-2009 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: saw devnoobs post
Old 03-29-2009, 12:43 AM
Aonelyn
Hill Giant

I support this.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:28 AM
devn00b
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aergad View Post
The only drawback i see is whether or not the current emu staff would agree with this and setup the site and statistics server, seems to be dependant on what athey say in that reguards unless you setup or someone else volenteered to setup the statistics aspect of it
Image and myself could run the site and statistics server.
Member of the "I hate devn00b" Club
Most Senior EQEMu Member.

Current Work: EverQuest 2 Emulator. Zeklabs Server
Old 03-29-2009, 03:45 AM
MNWatchdog
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by image View Post
I wanted to suggest an idea I had to try and make a possible different approach to the issue at hand.

Some people have suggested a WoWEmu like alternative where servers handle their own login servers and I would like to see what people think of this design.

1) run your own public server with unlimited users, but a limitation of 3 world servers per login.
2) a statistics site which will post the login server name, a short description, the active users/zones/players (and worlds within).
3) There will be a limitation that will require your login server to connect to the main statistics, however there will be a large gap of time that they can be disconnected between each other and the login server still function.
I suggested something like this months ago and I would love it.

#3 has to go though. Nothing should require a central server to keep it functioning.

Instead, make a new launcher that could pull down current info from a central server, but would still be able to connect to servers it already knows about even if the central info server is down/gone.

Store the servers info in a text file, like EQHost.txt, so the file could be edited manually.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:37 AM
KingMort
Banned

This could totally bring people together, even though at first glance it doesn't appear to be that way and it's not what a lot of us are used too (Especially me hehe)

But mind you DAOC EMU <like you said> worked out great and they were all VERY VERY united... So have alot of other emu projects....

I just feel we need to stick together .. whatever it is we do we have to remember we are actually a family (not to get mushy) but still.....

Some of us like myself have been doing this for numerous years and wish to continue to do so..

King

PS: Angelox We still really need your help , and anyone else who has felt left out over the years.. don't feel that way please!!! We value you very very much
Old 03-29-2009, 09:09 AM
slynnes
Fire Beetle

One of the joys of playing on eqemu current setup (this is as a very active player) is to search the server screen list and try out new servers. How will this work and how will I connect up with brand new servers?
Old 03-29-2009, 10:07 AM
BWStripes
Sarnak

People just want a login server that works. People who try the emu like the fact that it is also free. Independent of "freedom", "choice", "admins", "bad code" or anything else.

Yes, the LS is currently a single point of failure/attack. We recognise that the people attacking the LS do not want to play.

If I understand correctly, the attacks are DoS, rather than DDoS. So, even with the added emergency state, the people attacking it reduce it to zero functionality, achieving their aim.

The admins, having other real commitments, react as well as is possible for a service with limited access. This is not a business service with admins sitting on it 24/7.

Good firewalls can be configured to recognise and block attacks, but would it be fast enough stop the LS collapsing? VPNs would help shut out the attacks, but are perhaps beyond the technical ability of many.

A distributed LS can be more resilient, but it will still be attacked, especially if people are targeting the LS because of an issue with a particular server, or person.

In this age of script kiddies, if you want resilience and stability, use adult tools and services. If that means getting a commercial host, then so be it.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:34 AM
WillowyLady
Sarnak

A solution that keeps this community together, rather than letting it fragment would be, I feel, desirable.

I am sure the present situation will resolved, seems like a series of hoops and hurdles have to be overcome.

All good things are worth waiting for.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:11 AM
Xzam
Fire Beetle

Default Ls

Why not release what you have and let others look at what you have as with many great ideas that I have seen here. Many came up with great ideas, put them up for others to look at, revised them as a PROJECT. There are serveral in this community that have the knowledge to add to this and make it work for all and they will always support the ideas of others good or bad. I personally would like to see a LS that works 100% of the time however I would not ever use anything that was not part of this community.