Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 01-08-2007, 02:17 AM
aza77
Hill Giant

thanks

lets see how ppls will like it.. the beta is mostly a code + hardware test. world is mostly customized already but we still miss a lot of quests and content we wanted to add
Old 01-08-2007, 04:06 AM
mrfix186
Fire Beetle

Also, Make sure you put limits on who can have what buffs on them.

Resist buffs
Damage Shields(lvl 40-50 mage/druid DS= death to low level melee)
Stat Buffs(High lvl str buffs can change an avg of 10 dmg to 20 dmg depending how the damage for melee is calced)
HP buffs(1k+hp at lvl 10 ;o)
Hpsymbols

A lvl 10 with lvl 30/40/50 buffs is insane to kill.

Or make a Flag that allowes the lower lvl to have buff, but removes all penalties for haveing the low level killed ;o
Can still help the lower level, level but if they go into pvp with buffs, some lvl 30/40/50 could come along and kill them in 10 secs if they causing trouble to other lower level people ;o
Or If you Engage in Pvp! All buffs that are +so many levels over your level get removed ;o
Old 01-08-2007, 04:24 AM
aza77
Hill Giant

well good suggestion mrfix186 .. best way would be to allow beneficial buffing + healing only at groups, allied guilds or raids. If someone is 20 levels below the caster (not the spell to avoid possible exploits) he + the caster will get outcast flagged for the duration of the spell.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:52 AM
Nancy
Fire Beetle

I say keep all players able to buff/heal all other players, even enemy combatants! Makes the game fun and interesting.

If you run into a level 10 with +1000HP buff on him then find someone to dispel his ass! Unique strategy and fun encounters is what makes a pvp server good. I played on EqLive Sullon Zek and it was almost precisely like this (just no healing/buffing enemies).

I used to be a pvp hardcore nerd, and i desire to relive that dorky glory!
Old 01-08-2007, 08:48 PM
mrfix186
Fire Beetle

Played as Bartlor Greenbane on Sullen zek ;o

Could you also fix Dispells ;o, on most servers you can resist dispell, and as a fact you shouldn't be able to resist it at all.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:09 AM
aza77
Hill Giant

if it would be me i would agree nancy . but we try to build a strategy server for pvp and pve players, where both kind of players are needed to run a successful guild or alliance. that's why we kind of punish those "player killers" to give the pve players a partial protection while not disallowing the pvpers to pvp

ps: going to take a look at dispells
Old 01-09-2007, 10:09 AM
GrumppygregSZ
Fire Beetle

Quote:
well you don't need to remove the rule itself. you just need to modify it a little bit. i'm going to add a pvp check. if you hit someone or if you get hit you will be flagged as engaged for 1 minute. if you heal or buff someone who is engaged a level check will be done. if any of the opponents isn't in level range you will get a 10 minutes outcast flag.
Wouldn't it be easier on you guys (and more fun for us) if you just eliminated the penalty for attacking someone out of your range? I imagine you are trying to create as close to a chaotic and hardcore pvp server as possible, considering it is going to be free for all so why not take another step towards unfettered pvp by removing such level range penalties? Griefing is just another way to attract griefers while the griefed will grow into little griefer hunters, hence increasing and strengthening the pvp environment.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:07 AM
aza77
Hill Giant

if we remove the rules we would have a pure pvp server .. and that's not what we want to build. our idea is a strategy mmorpg server where you can't just run around and kill everyone. so basicly a mix between pve and pvp.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:27 AM
Nancy
Fire Beetle

If you want to host a PVP server then please make it have maximum potential PVP! Griefers get their come-uppance by making a name for themselves and getting attacked on sight by many people, corpse camped or denied grouping and guilding.

Having buffs, heals and everything available to cast wherever a player desires allows for more intricate, fun and rewarding pvp battles. Running to save the life of a lowbie being ganged up on, lowbies ganging up on a high level greifer, etc.

I was an Evil on Sullon Zek and numerous times i would have willingly healed a Good to help him kill a Nuetral that i knew and dispised, simply because of that Nuetral's notoriety. I did engage in combat with Goods as my temporary allies sometimes as a means to an end. Granted I would always look for the best opportunity to stab them in the back as soon as i had a chance and didn't require their assistance any longer ~ I was Evil in my roleplay spirit ~

My brother and I would also go gank noobies in Gfay in order to lure groups of high level Goods to chase us around so we could play tricks and kill them in the forest. No better way to get a big fight going than by picking on the weak so they cry for help.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:42 AM
aza77
Hill Giant

i understand what you mean nancy but the problem is that such a kind of server won't be any fun at all for ppls who don't want to pvp a lot. we will see if our concept won't work we will change it. that's what beta is for
Old 01-10-2007, 01:35 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

The advantage of having an open-source project like EQEmu is, anyone can run their own server and customize it however they see fit. aza77's server ideas sound appetizing to someone like me, who has never played once on PvP, but wouldn't mind giving it a try. If his server was hard-core PvP, I wouldn't even bother.

I think what they have planned is perfect. Might take some time to balance things out, but it's a great concept. You can ask if they would change a feature, but if the admin doesn't want to, no sense continuing trying to convince him he's wrong.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:08 PM
mrfix186
Fire Beetle

When I played Sullen Zek as an evil, I would camp Misty thicket/Gfay for 8+hours strait. I know for a fact I caused atleast 15 people to never play Sullen zek again. But on Eqemu, no way in hell am i going to do that, i could destroy the pop of some pvp server easy and make it suck. Need pops for the high levels, and blowing apart the low levels makes it hard to have targets and good even level fights.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:06 AM
Nancy
Fire Beetle

I also caused many players to quit Sullon Zek if not Everquest out of frustration and i am certainly not going to be as hard-core as i was then.

My problem is that i crave some of that intense pvp so much and want to relive those glorious times, that i am likely to be disappointed by players scared to actually engage in PVP on a PVP server.

Sullon Zek unfortunately like all PVP servers somehow had the majority of the players being scared to actually go forth and engage in PVP. Most of them were there to powerlevel and get awesome gear for 'future pvp ownage'. This of course led to awesome ganking on my part of hopeless idiots that didn't have a clue how to fight.

I am going to assume this will be the same problem with this new server, however much more so because the player base will be so small. Hence i will have to be careful not to be too aggressive or people will leave and not come back.

People who join the server should damn well realize it is a PVP server and expect to engage, whether they are prepared or not, in PVP!
Old 01-11-2007, 12:41 AM
eq4me
Hill Giant

Yes PvP should be a challenge and induce an hefty ammount of paranoia in everyone on the server. But mindless slaughter of helpless victims when someone feels like it should imho not be tolerated.
Are you actually proud to have scared people of the server?
Old 01-11-2007, 12:51 AM
mattmeck

The attitudes above are why a PVP server never lasted on EQEmu.

Mindless slautering of people 20+ levels below them, the "I am the greatest everyone else sucks", I refuse to play on a EQEmu PVP server due to the attitudes and bahing in OOC etc.

However this server even I may install EQ, after 18+ months of not playing, to try out.