Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:02 PM
Shendare
Dragon

I believe a more precise phrasing would be 'imagining the most basic, big-picture steps required in a path forward'. Your current absence of programming and database skills limit your ability to develop such a path. Education and talent in 3D graphics, 2D UI development, prose fiction authorship... these things would also be helpful for such development. Telling people to break ties with others they have long worked and played with and simplifying a years-long development process into such phrases as 'taking the DikuMUD code and slapping a GUI on it' do not fit well with the intention of developing a successor to a multi-million dollar corporate product now in its nineteenth year of continual development.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:06 PM
mgellan
Sarnak

Personally I'd use LambdaMOO, object oriented y'know. I coded a shitload of stuff in MOO code on Dragonsfire MOO, including a Harper Songbook that emitted muzak and responded to RP queues in the crowd while emitting songs. Good times

Of course, that assumes your central hypothesis has some merit, which alas falls into the "I don't understand it so it must be easy" category.

Regards,
Mg
Old 10-14-2015, 07:11 PM
MarcusD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgellan View Post
Personally I'd use LambdaMOO, object oriented y'know. I coded a shitload of stuff in MOO code on Dragonsfire MOO, including a Harper Songbook that emitted muzak and responded to RP queues in the crowd while emitting songs. Good times

Of course, that assumes your central hypothesis has some merit, which alas falls into the "I don't understand it so it must be easy" category.

Regards,
Mg
From what I've gathered MOO was the backbone of Ultima Online, the sims and other games like that. MUD was the backbone of EQ, then blizzard somehow ripped off EQ it seems like to make WoW. Even if EQ wrote a new diku like MUD from scratch it is plainly obvious that EQ is a MUD at its core without a doubt. So MUD seems to be that really challenging combat mechanic wheras MOO is more social games. I would be interested to find out how SimCity/rollercoaster tycoon/incredible machine type of game started out.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:16 PM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusD View Post
From what I've gathered MOO was the backbone of Ultima Online, the sims and other games like that. MUD was the backbone of EQ, then blizzard somehow ripped off EQ it seems like to make WoW. Even if EQ wrote a new diku like MUD from scratch it is plainly obvious that EQ is a MUD at its core without a doubt. So MUD seems to be that really challenging combat mechanic wheras MOO is more social games. I would be interested to find out how SimCity/rollercoaster tycoon/incredible machine type of game started out.
From what you've gathered? Are the voices in your head giving you all of this information?
Old 10-14-2015, 07:39 PM
Burningsoul
Discordant

Naw, his sources don't exist. None of us do either. We're all figments of imagination in this fucks' head he invented to keep himself company. We're foster's home for imaginary eqemus.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:41 PM
Shendare
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burningsoul View Post
eqemus.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:43 PM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

I found MarcusD!!
Old 10-14-2015, 07:46 PM
provocating
Demi-God

This guy is crazier than a sprayed cockroach.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:09 PM
ghanja
Dragon

Quote:
Stop the presses. Someone let Don Daglow know that he was ripped off. DikuMUD was surely a copy of his Dungeon. But, maybe DikuMUD took some ideas from LOTRD, which in turn may have swiped ideas from my door game, seeing that I released mine 5 months before Seth released his. All this time I just shrugged it off and thought "a much nicer implementation" and even played it myself.

Maybe if I scrounge around I could find the old Pascal source to the door game and you could wrap a GUI around that?

The rage, delusions and such sure are entertaining though.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:30 PM
Shendare
Dragon

D&D ripped off Lord of the Rings! Lord of the Rings ripped off Greek, Roman, and Celtic mythology! Take back all the money for the mystics!!! :P
Old 10-14-2015, 10:47 PM
Tabasco
Discordant

I remember the whole dikumud controversy. The only real similarities were text descriptions during fighting. It would be more likely that Anarchy Online copied from a mud because they used TCP instead of UDP for things like movement updates in the beginning. (It failed miserably under load, rubber-banding, etc.)
In terms of technology, muds have nothing to offer a real-time game. In terms of content, claiming a genre is like trying to patent a fart.

Honestly, I don't have a dog in this fight and obvious troll is obvious, but Caryatis made a post and that makes this thread special.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:45 PM
AdrianD
Discordant

Hey guys!

I have a question that many of you who responded/got trolled/whatever in this thread could probably answer on a different thread where my question resides.

Thanks for the replies.

EDIT: for anyone actually interested in assisting, here is the link to the thread, last post

http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/sho...t=40039&page=5
Old 10-18-2015, 01:19 AM
MarcusD
Banned

Am I insane or does this look like the funnest thing to do on earth? I think C is my own personal heaven. I am going to be starting from scratch like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sfNHDtcOZk
Old 10-18-2015, 03:04 AM
N0ctrnl
Discordant

Quote:
Am I insane
That would certianly explain a lot.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:11 AM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

MarcusD, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul!"

P.S

Fire is hot, die in one.