Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 03-04-2018, 12:07 AM
TheMurderUnicorn
Fire Beetle

Default Confused about Bots

So I probably picked the wrong place on the forum to ask these questions but I wasn't sure so please don't hate me.

I used the automated server installer. I have an old copy of SOD from Steam, and I have the server running and can connect/create characters/play.

When I installed the server, I installed the Bot pack (the option that said to enable bots on the server). I thought this would make mercenaries function, but that doesn't seem to be right. I looked through the forums and most of the discussion about bots made me realize that no, they're not the mercs, and though I read a lot of posts I still have no understanding whatsoever of what a bot is, how I get one, or how they work.

So, that's my question. How do I get a bot companion? All of the forum posts I saw were about bot behavior and coding, not about the actual process to acquire one/give them directions.

Also I don't know anything about coding or maintaining a server, so please try to keep things as layman as possible.

And again, I'm sorry if this is the wrong place, or if this question has already been answered. I couldn't find anything.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:28 AM
Uleat
Developer

As you have discovered, Bots and Mercs are not the same.

Activating Mercs requires making changes to the database, through a query, to enable the merchants.

Bots, on the other hand, are controlled through the Bot command system.

Typing ^help will list all of the commands available to a player on a Bots-enabled server.

But, to simply get started, you really need to just focus on two of them: ^create and ^spawn.

Once spawned, you will need to invite them into your group for them to become active.

Compilin' Dirty
Old 03-04-2018, 12:55 AM
TheMurderUnicorn
Fire Beetle

Very neat. Thank you for your prompt and gentle reply. This will improve my solo efforts considerably.

Tags
bots, mercs, newbie