Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:45 AM
kris1
Sarnak

Default Some spells not working

I have not done anything to customize or change the spells on the database in any way.

I noticed right from the get go that the Druid spell "Skin Like Wood" that you start off with, is not able to scribe until level 8. The "spells-new" table very clearly says that "Skin like Wood" is available for Druids at level 1. Then at level 8 when you can scribe it, it's not "Skin Like Wood" it's "Protection of Oak"

I let that go, and just played on. and as I progress I am finding a shit ton of spells, that are just not available when the tables say they should be. some even say the appropriate level when you inspect the scroll, but when you try to scribe them, it tells you something different.

I can't make sense of it. And I can't find another spot in the DB where it could be.

Any help or clue would be appreciated.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:58 AM
dagulus2
Hill Giant

Assuming Skin Like Wood is spell 26 in your spells-new table.

Does the scroll have 26 in the scrolleffect field?

Does you client's spells_us.txt file have 'Skin Like Wood' as entry 26?
Old 08-10-2018, 10:54 AM
kris1
Sarnak

I did not know to check my client's anything. I'm kinda a newb to this.

But yes, the spell id # matches the scrol in the items table. I'm surprised that client side can make game alterations like that. I would think that would allow for hacking. But what do I know?

Thank you
Old 08-10-2018, 11:05 AM
kris1
Sarnak

I got my copy of Underfoot from THF's getting started guide. I discovered that it comes with a few extra copies of the spells_us.txt file.

spells_us_SHO.txt
spells_us_UF.txt
and
spells_us_THF.txt

and I noticed that the spells_us.txt file that comes with the build is a copy of the THF version...(seems obvious now)

Thanks again
Old 08-10-2018, 12:18 PM
dagulus2
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris1 View Post
I'm surprised that client side can make game alterations like that. I would think that would allow for hacking. But what do I know?
Don't worry about it; The fact that spells_us.txt even exists makes no sense whatsoever, but you have to remember - when they wrote EQ they had literally no idea what they were doing as they were doing stuff that no one had really done before.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:51 PM
Uleat
Developer

Plus, back when EQ first came out, transfer rates were typically 28.8K BAUD or less .. so, a 1024-byte block to describe
a spell was very expensive.

Compilin' Dirty
Old 08-10-2018, 06:32 PM
kris1
Sarnak

So, just out of curiosity to understand. The information in the spell_us.txt file will override the information in the database, where it conflicts?