Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:39 PM
Drakiyth
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPulse View Post
If our playable character will be much stronger, will spells be bolstered as well? For both our character and the bots so they can keep up with our heals for instance?
I will leave it up to player feedback to tell me if spells are not doing the trick from the bots, but honestly they should be fine additions to the damage. Your character is going to be strong, no doubt, but bot wizards, mages, necromancers etc will not be anywhere near the word useless or weak. They will still add to the damage of the group quite significantly.

One thing that helps them is the 5% critical strike with all spells. Wizards get 10%. So far, from my own testing I don't really see this as any kind of issue at the current moment, but I won't be against buffing certain spells if they need it. However, you have to keep in mind that buffing certain spells may also make those spells
extremely overpowered to a class path that may enhance them, such as the Spirit Warden Beastlord who can get up to 400% extra damage with their spells at level 20 with their first charm.

:EDIT:
Now that I thought about it, I could always add expensive but purchasable generic spell damage enhancement charms that are perfect for bots. It's an idea, indeed.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:58 PM
Drakiyth
Dragon

I've done a great deal of work to get the bards balanced out and just released a new path called the Mystical Artist which is a bard that can summon planar instruments of immense power. The instruments are considered no-rent and must be re-summoned each time a player logs back in. I'll be introducing the final bard pretty soon so keep checking for updates.

www.varlyndria.weebly.com
Old 04-11-2012, 07:35 PM
Secrets
Demi-God

This server interests me with the sub-classing system. I wanted to do something like this recently with my server that I am building (and ultimately will re-write because I am unsatisfied with it) except with a classless system. Every player would start as the same 'EQ' class, but they would obtain different spells depending on what spells they either A) learned, B) were taught in the ways of.

For example, every spell was ranger usable, but only certain spells were scribed depending on quests completed. Some were researched thru tradeskills. This sounds like what you are trying to do but being a bit more restrictive on the spells available; which isn't a bad thing, honestly, as that way each class has a definitive role. I just had my idea for flexibility.

A suggestion with the bots; make them have their own spell lines, and customize them to be more like EQLive mercenaries, instead of having to make them be a specific kind of class. All you need is four bot types; Tank, Ranged DPS, Melee DPS, and Healer. You can restrict what bot spells are available in the DB, and what bots are available if you customize the DB.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:00 PM
Drakiyth
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets View Post
This server interests me with the sub-classing system. I wanted to do something like this recently with my server that I am building (and ultimately will re-write because I am unsatisfied with it) except with a classless system. Every player would start as the same 'EQ' class, but they would obtain different spells depending on what spells they either A) learned, B) were taught in the ways of.

For example, every spell was ranger usable, but only certain spells were scribed depending on quests completed. Some were researched thru tradeskills. This sounds like what you are trying to do but being a bit more restrictive on the spells available; which isn't a bad thing, honestly, as that way each class has a definitive role. I just had my idea for flexibility.

A suggestion with the bots; make them have their own spell lines, and customize them to be more like EQLive mercenaries, instead of having to make them be a specific kind of class. All you need is four bot types; Tank, Ranged DPS, Melee DPS, and Healer. You can restrict what bot spells are available in the DB, and what bots are available if you customize the DB.

I like the way the bots are now; you can have any base class you want which makes everything a bit more interesting. The merc style bots idea isn't a bad one however, but I don't see a need to implement it on Varlyndria. To help avoid confusion about giving bots a class role, I will be adding a disclaimer that explains bots cannot learn how to advance in a Varlyndrian path.

Your server idea seems pretty open which is good, but sometimes games like Skyrim can be mundane without that restricted flavor to define a role. I didn't really like the original diablo class system either, which allowed you to be a half-assed version of yourself if you wanted to be. Ultimately, those choices are pointless in the end to the base class which is better all around so most builds in diablo 1 were pretty horrible.

Looking forward to seeing you on the server!
Old 04-12-2012, 01:46 PM
Ozium
Sarnak

sounds interesting, await the chance to try it out
Old 04-13-2012, 06:06 AM
Drakiyth
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozium View Post
sounds interesting, await the chance to try it out

I can't wait to release it for everybody to play and have fun on.

UPDATE: I've just added the Tier 1 Bard charms to the site. Their paths are almost touched up and finished for now. I'll be moving on to the Shamans soon.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:05 PM
Secrets
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakiyth View Post
I can't wait to release it for everybody to play and have fun on.

UPDATE: I've just added the Tier 1 Bard charms to the site. Their paths are almost touched up and finished for now. I'll be moving on to the Shamans soon.
I think what impresses me the most is your planning skills. As a scatterbrain I can't imagine how hard it is to plan all of this out, lol. Whenever I try to plan something like this, I normally can't organize my thinking. I think that's what attracts me to this server more than anything; you know what you are offering to people.

I'll be hopping in the day it releases to check it out!
Old 04-13-2012, 04:13 PM
kylekurth
Sarnak

@Secrets Your problem is you dont stick with anything lol. You have amazing ideas and talent but you always scrap your projects or seem to get bored with them. I think you would do awesome working with someone that can look ahead and use your talents and extra ideas
Old 04-14-2012, 09:14 PM
Drakiyth
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets View Post
I think what impresses me the most is your planning skills. As a scatterbrain I can't imagine how hard it is to plan all of this out, lol. Whenever I try to plan something like this, I normally can't organize my thinking. I think that's what attracts me to this server more than anything; you know what you are offering to people.

I'll be hopping in the day it releases to check it out!

You should see my notes on this server; I have over 18 different files with multiple pages of information in each one! It makes me very happy that I can impress you with my creation skills and I can't wait to interact with your toon on the server.

The moment has finally arrived Shaman fans, I have revealed the first path of your favorite class!

THE GHOSTCALLER!

Go check out this unique support path down below and keep checking for updates because I'll be releasing the other two shaman paths soon!

http://varlyndria.weebly.com/shaman.html
Old 04-14-2012, 09:49 PM
wolfwalkereci
Discordant

I agree with secrets, the hardest part of a good server is the ability to map out the ideas and stick to them.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:30 PM
Drakiyth
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfwalkereci View Post
I agree with secrets, the hardest part of a good server is the ability to map out the ideas and stick to them.
No doubt. That's why it's always good to keep everything written down and organized so you know exactly where you're at on your server and what you have added to help avoid a ton of confusion. Having a lot of dedication and imagination is a plus too.

NEWS: The Witch Doctor Shaman has been revealed! You can check out what this path offers the player down below. This Witch Doctor is more traditional in the Native American culture compared to Diablo 3. I'll be working on the final Shaman path soon.

www.varlyndria.weebly.com/shaman
Old 04-15-2012, 03:09 PM
satora54
Sarnak

Will there be any pvp?
Old 04-15-2012, 03:45 PM
Drakiyth
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by satora54 View Post
Will there be any pvp?
I do indeed plan to add PVP to Varlyndria and here are some ideas I have in mind.

NOTE: Please keep in mind that a lot of these are just ideas right now and everything I am saying here is not set in stone.

PVP ZONES: Open World PVP areas and Arena Revamp. I'll make the teleporter that takes you to these zones have multiple "drop zones" so players can't just farm
the single entrance to that combat zone. I'm thinking something around the lines of 10 drop zone locations per combat zone. Each drop zone will have an NPC to get PVP potions from. Also, to make it a bit more interesting I'll probably have the NPC hit the player with an invis spell before they launch them into the combat zone. With this, I'll probably make it where SEE INVIS is not allowed, so rogues can have some fun and players can zone in undetected for a short time to get their bearings and avoid immediate ambush.

BETTING: Betting on who will win the match in Arena.

PVP POTIONS: These will be zone restricted, so the buff will vanish whenever you leave the zone you got them in. The potions themselves will give the player a massive HP increase that lasts for 24 hours or until they die or leave the combat zone. This will allow players to compete against others and actually have a chance to survive with how much damage can be thrown out by some class paths. The HP increase will probably be in the 100k range. Bots will be active as well to kill any player (I'm guessing) so having the main character decked in HP is a must to prolong the fights and make them more challenging.

PVP REWARDS: Various gear that will help kill players or remove their spells etc.

These are just some ideas I have and whether or not I'll be able to get these into the first test phase or not is questionable, but I do want to give pvpers a place on the server without making the entire server pvp so both types of players can enjoy it.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:19 PM
Drakiyth
Dragon

The Final Shaman Path has been revealed. The Velician Seer is a dps path for Shamans that gives them the ability to melee with ice spears as well as deal tremendous damage with cold and disease spells. They also get improved spirit wolves that have more damage and procs.

I'll be doing some server work for a while and getting the shaman paths in the game. The next class I'll be working on when I am finished with the shaman is the druid, and I have some fun ideas for the class. Keep checking the site for updates.

More to come!

ALL OF THE SHAMAN PATHS BELOW
www.varlyndria.weebly.com/shaman
Old 04-15-2012, 09:21 PM
kylekurth
Sarnak

Your just on a roll!