Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:22 PM
sirgoladith
Fire Beetle

Default X5 items server?

So I remember playing on a server a while back that I think had like x5 item stats and such, a really well made server, with great PoK NPC's set up and everything. Does anybody ever know what happened with that server and why it went poof? or is it under a strange name, or hell, if you have the URL still for the web site, it might still be up...

But basicly expressing interest in playing on one again basicly, granted, I'll miss my characters from there, but such is life.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:00 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Hrmmm, the PoK NPC's throw me off, but there have been a few? I've got one similar to it coming back up, we're just putting together very concrete plans before we go with it, cause we don't want it to be like a lot of other server's that just plunge within a month or two
Old 01-22-2010, 04:48 PM
Anker4U
Fire Beetle

It was the Zarn's Barn.
It has shut down, I'm afraid.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:55 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

What was it about Zarn's that people loved? We are undergoing our project that has a lot of X5 qualities but will also be very balanced and legitimate, if anyone would like to post what they'd like to see on any server we can definitely follow through on it. Post it all here if you wish or PM me.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:38 PM
Anker4U
Fire Beetle

Personally, it wasn't just the x5 thing.
It's never that simple. So let me throw out a few thoughts on this.

for Item stats, you could be just a simple 2x standard, or 3x, or 4x .. whatever. Watch out for caps though. Like 2H weapon capping early at 255 damage, because the database don't allow numbers higher than that ... or something like that. Or you could go fast trough the progression of armor, like on the EZ server. Basically, the point is to empower your character fast enough that it can solo it's way up, if you want to.

Zarns Barn also added some augmentations that you could buy for a reasonable price that fit in any augmentation slot, and really made a difference. Which means that you could sort of make partial upgrades, as you went along.

They also had the usual buff bot, and teleporters, and custom zones.
Which is always very nice. Sort of makes it a "new" game.

On the other hand, I'd also like to see stuf like you see on the Hidden Forrest server,where for example they added dropped patterns in the zones you hunted in, which you then turn in for items .. rather than just item drops in the zones.

Should also make itemization a bit easier, since everyone can use the patterns.

On a sidenote, when making special NPC's, having hotlinks in the text makes it easier for everyone. And having the NPC whisper you, will cut down on the chat spam for everyone else nearby.

As for Quests, it's a good idea to have a few early quests that rewards commonly needed utilities. Like on the EZ server, the very first quests rewards a pre-nerf Circlet of shadow, with instant clicky Gather Shadows on it. That's a great idea, because it means everyone have access to invis later on, even if they are a warrior and can't cast spells.

This could be expanded upon more. We have seen items that can resurrect people, or summon a Banker, or teleport you home, or convert HP to Mana .. etc. etc. ... But how about a buff-bot akin item ? Have it be a quest chain, so that the first version of it, only have a small "buff package" .. and then higher versions of it have more elaborate ones ? I don't know how difficult it is to make an item cast multiple spells, but alternatively it could summon an NPC like the buffbot that goes away after casting it's buffs.

Well, I'm done rambling for now.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:23 PM
sirgoladith
Fire Beetle

Well, Akk, I have played on your server...well, I stopped right after you made the binary change and got rid of the stat granted abilities. But yeah, the augs were fun. I miss my characters on there. I was the first person on that server to get the 2.5's when they went live there. I made my suffix and prefix reflect that too, heh. But that server had a great community while I was there, people were nice and friendly, the GM's were cool.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:37 AM
Akkadius
Administrator

Well, I've been getting hammered on my site with tons of testing requests for the official new server with a whole new CONTENT concept, not far off of the original source.

And by the way, you're probably talking about the source changes that screwed a lot of things up, yeah we reverted that a long time ago and had something that more than replaced it, but bottom line there were too many issues to make the server stable once again, we could not do much for it but we are passionate about bringing a fun and a server that provides a lot of small things like this to you and we are being careful on production and how we structure the content and then once we start testing we will base our judge ment from there.

You can send me a PM on my site about the testing and when we feel like it is testable we will announce it, but in the meantime we have been doing a ton of cleanup. I just completely cleaned up our database to compromise any faults that may give us future issues and it is now currently up to date, and all of our raid work that we didn't release is still there.

Plans for content etc we will release another time but I want to encorporate these features that players want to see in a server because I wish to expand off our concrete concept in the future, thus we have a concrete foundation (Source, current status of progression etc.)

If you have any other ideas please drop a pm or message.