Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:31 PM
nodeth
Fire Beetle

Default EQemu server opinion(s)?

Hello to EQemu!

I'm an original Everquest player that misses the old game so much that I (out of desperation for the old days?) downloaded and tried the pay2win... i mean free2play version of EQ. Well, that didn't last long, but I was still missing old EQ so much that my google searches brought me to EQemu. I loved camping (yeah I know, supposed to hate camping, but we had the most fun on those groups...) and loved the grouping aspect EQ had that is somehow lost on the mmorpg's of today.

I've read around the forums and decided to narrow server choice to P1999, EZ and Hidden Forest and I see some are pure servers, some custom, and what I would like to ask is if anyone would like to reply with a players perspective on one or all of the three servers I mentioned and their experiences there? Can be a simple one word, a sentence or whatever you feel like writing.

Thanks in advance!

nodeth
Old 05-14-2012, 02:25 PM
Kavanah
Sarnak

Sounds like you would enjoy p99 the most. It's a great experience and as close as you will most likely ever get to playing classic eq.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:52 PM
nodeth
Fire Beetle

Thanks Kavanah, am patching my .net framework to update now to be able to update the EQemu launcher to access p99 server. (Thank you EQemu for the startup and FAQ section, made life easy) Got THF server working and char made there at least so far and my .net just finished so off to try p99
Old 05-14-2012, 03:21 PM
Lillu
Hill Giant

Make sure to use separate EQ installation folders for the different servers if you plan to play on more than one. Most of the custom servers require their own custom files and are not compatible with each other.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:03 AM
nodeth
Fire Beetle

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 05-19-2012, 02:44 PM
Soulcold
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodeth View Post
I'm an original Everquest player that misses the old game so much that I (out of desperation for the old days?) downloaded and tried the pay2win... i mean free2play version of EQ.
Sorry, I had to post just to quote this. EQ is NOT Pay 2 Win. Are you even aware of what Pay 2 Win means? It means to do anything high end you need to PAY. It also means that by paying real money you will be better off than everyone else in every aspect of the game. Subscribers to EQ do NOT need to pay a single cent other than their monthly subscription fee in order to do whatever they want. The things on the Marketplace include:

Titles (Do not benefit you)
Defiant Gear (Drops nearly everywhere as well)
Mounts (Oh noez, 300 HME! Oh wait, you can get these from free LON packs!)
Bags (Bigger bags are dropped around the world)
House items (Just a moneysink, again, does NOT benefit you in any way, shape, or form)

And a few other pieces of garbage like XP potions that you can also find during the zone revamps (and the zone revamp potions /anniversary potions are better than the marketplace ones by 50%). EQ is in no way Pay 2 Win, if you're a silver member or under you CAN buy unlockers for AA's and what not, but you do not NEED to do so.

Sony may have messed up a lot with the restrictions on F2P, but in no way is the game P2W.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:23 PM
boweq
Hill Giant

I can See where you both are coming from

But with the F2P engine , You cant do Anything High end , Wont get in ANY raid guild with a Free or Silver package.

So tech the game is pay to play ..
Old 05-20-2012, 06:28 PM
sorvani
Dragon

like it always has been.