Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:47 PM
Huppy
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uleat View Post
Could always force players to level up at their guild trainers..

..and instead of 'hell levels,' implement a quest system through GMs (Guild Masters) to raise their level cap every 5 levels or so
Hmmmmm, my thinking coffee cup just came out, lol
Old 12-22-2015, 09:48 PM
Huppy
Demi-God

Once in awhile, a player will log on and ask, "Is there a porter on this server?"
I say "What for?"
They tell me they don't want to run all over the place, would rather get ported.
I have started explaining to them all about the trick to avoiding that. I tell them
not to worry, this server is set up so your toon does all the running instead of you.
You can sit back in your chair, have a beer and your toon will run forever without
getting tired. But don't tell other servers, they will want the script for it. (smirk)
Old 12-22-2015, 11:42 PM
provocating
Demi-God

On Legacy of Froststone we are having a half XP weekend for the holidays. We also fight with no weapons, in the snow....uphill....with no shoes.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:59 PM
Huppy
Demi-God

Hahahahaha
Old 12-23-2015, 02:47 AM
Burningsoul
Discordant

Don't forget the holiday NPC that hands out the leet christmas gear and mod rods!
Old 12-23-2015, 07:43 AM
nenelan
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huppy View Post
Once in awhile, a player will log on and ask, "Is there a porter on this server?"
I say "What for?"
They tell me they don't want to run all over the place, would rather get ported.
I have started explaining to them all about the trick to avoiding that. I tell them
not to worry, this server is set up so your toon does all the running instead of you.
You can sit back in your chair, have a beer and your toon will run forever without
getting tired. But don't tell other servers, they will want the script for it. (smirk)
This worked back when EQ released. Everything was new, fresh, and a sense of wonderment was attached to the game. Exploration was required. There was no in game cartography system. Fan sites were just starting to pop up. Every corner had something NEW to see.

15+ years later, that just doesn't really work as well as it used to. The crowd that grew up with game has seen it all. There's only so many times you can run from Butcher Boats to Kelethin for a Bind then on to Crushbone before it is no longer new, it is no longer novel, it is instead a time sink.

15+ years later, the crowd that grew up with the game have jobs, lives, wives, husbands, children. What we do not have is time for a time sink for the sole purpose of a time sink.

New blood just getting in to the game don't know the paths, don't know the shortcuts, and have hundreds of other games that give instant gratification just for playing. If you're after new players, something has to be in place to keep them after the initial draw, and high travel times aren't going to be doing that.

I enjoy long quests, I enjoy not having my hand held through them, I enjoy rewards on paths less traveled.

There's nothing enjoyable about having to trek across 8 zones just in time to have to log off to do something around the house instead of using that time productively. Even if there's PoK books in place, a few zones require quite a bit of real time to get to, and that's assuming you have some kind of run speed mod.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:01 AM
Huppy
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenelan View Post
This worked back when EQ released. Everything was new, fresh, and a sense of wonderment was attached to the game. Exploration was required. There was no in game cartography system. Fan sites were just starting to pop up. Every corner had something NEW to see.

15+ years later, that just doesn't really work as well as it used to. The crowd that grew up with game has seen it all. There's only so many times you can run from Butcher Boats to Kelethin for a Bind then on to Crushbone before it is no longer new, it is no longer novel, it is instead a time sink.

15+ years later, the crowd that grew up with the game have jobs, lives, wives, husbands, children. What we do not have is time for a time sink for the sole purpose of a time sink. crowd that grew up with the game

New blood just getting in to the game don't know the paths, don't know the shortcuts, and have hundreds of other games that give instant gratification just for playing. If you're after new players, something has to be in place to keep them after the initial draw, and high travel times aren't going to be doing that.

I enjoy long quests, I enjoy not having my hand held through them, I enjoy rewards on paths less traveled.

There's nothing enjoyable about having to trek across 8 zones just in time to have to log off to do something around the house instead of using that time productively. Even if there's PoK books in place, a few zones require quite a bit of real time to get to, and that's assuming you have some kind of run speed mod.
If someone only has time to run across some zones and then log off ? What
would they be doing logging on in the first place, with that little time ?
There is tons of things I was able to do before I inherited commitments in
my real life, when I had to give them up, no time for it. Its part of life.

Various servers on here are developing back to a time when they enjoyed EQ.
Hence: they work towards game mechanics of that same era.
I rather encourage the whole idea of having a variety of EQ eras on here,
it gives people,(new and old) the opportunity to explore them all.

But on another note, when it comes to "If you're after new players..." that
is a competitive thing based on a individuals' reason for starting a server.
I didn't start my server simply to be a "player collector". It really is a lot
about my own enjoyment. Its put up as a public server to share with others.
I can't speak for any other server owners, but I'm sure there is few out there
who started their own server and possibly set it up to their preference so
they can enjoy it.