Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:21 PM
Ryoz
Fire Beetle

Default Best Classic Server!

Hey all,

Fairly new to this scene. I've been watching EQClassic for a while now, but I came across this site and got pretty excited. I'm looking for some suggestions for some solid classic emu servers (hopefully with some type of exp + bonus).

Any suggestions? I see quite a few...
Old 09-15-2008, 10:23 PM
buffhouse
Fire Beetle

None of them are very classic. Classic EQ isn't that great. Insane agro ranges, getting killed by hordes of greens that are 10 levels below you when you just want to explore a dungeon. Top guilds finding every tradeskill price problem and sharing it on IIRC making cash, duping everything, trading no drops through long convoluted methods, leveling from pathing problems while yapping endlessly in OOC about how they kill yellows easily etc etc. Maxing thier AA by macroing handing in a quest item over and over. Spreading rumors and false information just to get other people on the server to try stupid stuff.

All while Brad talked about the vision and took drugs.

The new game is equally nuts. Wizards with 13000 hit points. The entire game balanced on items alone. All the original treadmills replaced with clicking or grinding to get to the new treadmills.

The magic of the original EQ was not in the game world or the graphics. It was with the people that came to play it.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:43 PM
Kagatob
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffhouse View Post
None of them are very classic. Classic EQ isn't that great. Insane agro ranges, getting killed by hordes of greens that are 10 levels below you when you just want to explore a dungeon. Top guilds finding every tradeskill price problem and sharing it on IIRC making cash, duping everything, trading no drops through long convoluted methods, leveling from pathing problems while yapping endlessly in OOC about how they kill yellows easily etc etc. Maxing thier AA by macroing handing in a quest item over and over. Spreading rumors and false information just to get other people on the server to try stupid stuff.

The new game is equally nuts. Wizards with 13000 hit points. The entire game balanced on items alone. All the original treadmills replaced with clicking or grinding to get to the new treadmills.

The magic of the original EQ was not in the game world or the graphics. It was with the people that came to play it.
I lol'd. Good stuff.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:52 PM
trevius
Developer

I know you asked for EQclassic, but if you want +exp rates you would most likely be best off on a custom server IMO. Though, I think the best way to find a good server is to log into the login server and look at the server list and try some of the servers that have the most people on them. They are all sure to be fun. I have played on multiple custom servers and I would recommend trying any of them. The ones I have spent time on are Zeb, EZ Server, Scars of Amerous, and my own server, Storm Haven (of course).

The only popular servers on the list that you probably want to avoid are the ones with CEQ (Chinese Everquest) in the name. They are all Chinese servers with the exception of KMRA, which is English with Chinese as an option.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:26 PM
Yeormom
Discordant

EQClassic has AA's? lol
Old 09-22-2008, 10:05 AM
Nagus69
Sarnak

Hi Ryoz,

i also used to play on Saryrn! I just started to play on the EZ server now. Its really fun and a good mix of getting all spoon fed and having to work for things.

You get exp 4x as fast so you can level to 50 within a cpl of hours without going crazy (+25 mana/hp/end regen starter item helps -manastone is in too

Epics can be purchased for 0 plat but you have to work for 1.5 and 2.0.

I made a monk and cle 2box - name is Tyler. Come in and say hi!

p.s. friend list dont seem to be working - have to manually check /w all Tyler etc.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:41 AM
partylwc
Fire Beetle

Default Gnomish Proving Grounds

Actually Gnomish Proving Grounds is a pretty good server for eq classic.. We are currently just in the old world and are loookign for more players to join before we advance to kunark. 2x xp; 2x loot; a good base of people ( usually 10 people when i log on) my wish is to see 20 or so.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:25 AM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffhouse View Post

well said.
I want to add huge arse and totaly empty zones like WK, and a 30min LINE just to get into a group in orc camp in EC or goblin basement in HH

On top of that continiuous bullshit from Brad and then from SOE that "feature X will NEVER be implemented cuase it horibly violates game vision and gameplay balance!", only to have 6 month later :"look what WE come up with!"

yeah EQ1 SUCKED and still sucks. the only reason we played it cuase it was first and the only. And of course - its the people who make the mmorpg.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:17 PM
partylwc
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosSlayer View Post
well said.
I want to add huge arse and totaly empty zones like WK, and a 30min LINE just to get into a group in orc camp in EC or goblin basement in HH

On top of that continiuous bullshit from Brad and then from SOE that "feature X will NEVER be implemented cuase it horibly violates game vision and gameplay balance!", only to have 6 month later :"look what WE come up with!"

yeah EQ1 SUCKED and still sucks. the only reason we played it cuase it was first and the only. And of course - its the people who make the mmorpg.
In my very humble opinion eq 1 didnt suck. It was good. It was addictive.. huge, fantasy.. the people that made up the game made it good to.

There where somet hings that sucked about eq1.. The original UI sucked with the small little screen; the incredible time it takes to get from zone 1 to zone 2 kinda sucked to ( but hey it made the world feel big.. which it is/was and got bigger.

I honestly like the original game up to PoP - Though I didnt play past PoP and honestly PoP was the expansion i disliked the most. My Favorite expansion was luclin or Kunark but i defenetly liked velious to. Everquest really applied a good adventure when playing it and in the beginning you never knew what to expect.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:52 PM
unknownhost
Sarnak

Default original eq was tough an unforgiving

people dont realize how cold a place original eq was.

exp was PAINFULLY slow, hell levels and class/race penalties (although halfling i know got a bonus to exp!) didnt make it any more fun. basicly if a human druid needed 100% to level than a hybrid needed an aditional 50% + if were ogre or troll then another 50% on top of that for 200% per level or some such pain... the exp penalty was the balance for hybrids being essentially warriors with spells...

meditation/downtime SUCKED , mana regen was rare (pretty much enchanters only and their friends) , and surely i dont miss staring at my spellbook with my cleric for pretty much 70-80% of his life to 50.

corpses could very easily be lost. there was no summon corpse spell for quite awhile. gm's didnt summon them for you unless it was bugged in a wall.

heck you had to /petition to get your last name at level20. petitioned one day, next day or two gm showed up on me in unrest and bestowed my grandness upon me.

tradeskills were just too confusing at the very begining. i didnt bother with them til after i was a year into the game other than fabricating some patchwork armor.

where was the medium bronze armor in the begining? took me forever to fill the gaps on my human cleric back on xegony. by the time i did get at_least_bronze in every slot it was loong past time for upgrades beyond that.

yay for the lines at drelzna, evileye,an frenzied ghoul! and pretty much everywhere else with decent loot.

yet for all that i thuroughly enjoyed original eq, it was so new and different compared to any other mmorpg available at the time. (pretty much UltimaOnline only thing out there and it hadnt been long since they completely redesigned the game nearly eliminating the pvp aspect while doing so)

anyways, i dinged my second character to 50 the night before kunark released, i remember being so pissed that they raised the level cap and we had to start grinding again haha. think my greatest accomplishments back then were being on Xegonys first vox raid(failed, didnt help that the GM's broadcasted to the entire server the time of the "event" our guild was doing an 300+showed up, yay crashing!) and our guild took down phinigel before kedge was itemized.(though definately not first on xegony hehe!)

fond memories!
Old 09-25-2008, 04:08 PM
wysh
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownhost View Post
people dont realize how cold a place original eq was.

exp was PAINFULLY slow, hell levels and class/race penalties (although halfling i know got a bonus to exp!) didnt make it any more fun. basicly if a human druid needed 100% to level than a hybrid needed an aditional 50% + if were ogre or troll then another 50% on top of that for 200% per level or some such pain... the exp penalty was the balance for hybrids being essentially warriors with spells...

meditation/downtime SUCKED , mana regen was rare (pretty much enchanters only and their friends) , and surely i dont miss staring at my spellbook with my cleric for pretty much 70-80% of his life to 50.

corpses could very easily be lost. there was no summon corpse spell for quite awhile. gm's didnt summon them for you unless it was bugged in a wall.

heck you had to /petition to get your last name at level20. petitioned one day, next day or two gm showed up on me in unrest and bestowed my grandness upon me.

tradeskills were just too confusing at the very begining. i didnt bother with them til after i was a year into the game other than fabricating some patchwork armor.

where was the medium bronze armor in the begining? took me forever to fill the gaps on my human cleric back on xegony. by the time i did get at_least_bronze in every slot it was loong past time for upgrades beyond that.

yay for the lines at drelzna, evileye,an frenzied ghoul! and pretty much everywhere else with decent loot.

yet for all that i thuroughly enjoyed original eq, it was so new and different compared to any other mmorpg available at the time. (pretty much UltimaOnline only thing out there and it hadnt been long since they completely redesigned the game nearly eliminating the pvp aspect while doing so)

anyways, i dinged my second character to 50 the night before kunark released, i remember being so pissed that they raised the level cap and we had to start grinding again haha. think my greatest accomplishments back then were being on Xegonys first vox raid(failed, didnt help that the GM's broadcasted to the entire server the time of the "event" our guild was doing an 300+showed up, yay crashing!) and our guild took down phinigel before kedge was itemized.(though definately not first on xegony hehe!)

fond memories!
Some people enjoyed classic EQ for these exact reasons.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:35 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysh View Post
Some people enjoyed classic EQ for these exact reasons.
masochists ?
I know I know. I was one of those people who DEVOTLY "played" eq to the best of my ability from October 99 till October 2005.

Now after seeing EQ2 has done it - i realise how stupid we were and how much evereything sucked: the game does not have to put you through YEARS of painful Xp grinding to be addictive

for all the things I liked about EQ there were some horible flaws:

-insane XP grind to get anywhere
-standing in hour long lines just to get into Xp group or waiting for 15 minutes after EACH solo light blue kill just to get hp/mana back
-horrifying death penalty, and death/corpse run loops who could easily make you loose few levels just trying to get your corpse back
-horibly unplayable as solo or less than a group content
-horible itemization - pre kunark having full set of bronze for nagafen raid was prety much a standart - so thats what - 30 levels just to complite a single set of armor?
-horibly planed encounter where your reward was based on how rare mob spawns rather than how hard he is to kill - Ghoul Arch magus o average spawned once in 5 hours after mindless kiling of place holders and only had 10% chance to drop SMR
-outrages customer service

thats NOT soemthing what qualifies as "enjoyment"

EQ2 has demonstrated that game can be addictive wihout havign to force everyone into holy-trio grind groups. That quests rewards can actualy be worth something by the time you can complite them. Encounters content which is NOT only suited for groups or uber raiders and based ONLY on how many people you can drag along to kill a single boss
Crafting system which actualy as impressive as combat! (And rewarding until they screwed it up)
In zone respawn points so you don't have run from god knows where just to get your corpse or beg 2 freakin hours just to get a bind

the list just goes on.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:11 PM
Tantalar
Sarnak

what made classic EQ so good was that it was so slow to level and so easy to lose exp if you didnt know what you were doing. This made it so that you would really develop your character and save up PP so you could buy and trade and sell. In a game like WoW you dont really have this long grind. You just sort of reach end game very quickly even if you are not hardcore.

In old EQ it was all about supply and demand. Something was hard to get and it was rare for it to drop. This increased the price of that item. It was actually rare. In WoW it doesnt even matter. When I quit the game it was on its way out (with the first expansion)

I really liked how hardcore old EQ was. If you screwed up and got killed you were punished. It actually meant something to die. Nowadays in MMORPGS everything is just... too easy. There isnt enough brutalizing punishment, and things are WAYYYYY to easy. The oldschool EQ crafting system is incredible and vastly superior to any other system out there. The best way to control a game is by making stuff rare and or hard to come by. I would be in full support of a game just like oldschool EQ where it was even harder to level up because as a casual player I was able to reach level 60 and then sort of feel like I had done all there was to do without even going to most of the world.

The world in classic EQ (well trilogy) is just so huge. This also contributed to the economy because most people back then didnt know where all of the loot came from. Often times it was from zones that I never even heard of. In WoW and new age MMORPGS you can explore the entire world in less than an hour.

Dungeons in old EQ are incredibly intricate. Nowadays dungeons are made up of a few huge boxy rooms. Very straight forward... Nothing elaborate at all - pathetic. Old EQ dungeons are like huge mazes. I easily can get lost in countless zones simply because they are so hard to navigate through and remember where you are (as it should be) This is yet another unmatched quality of classic EQ.

Classic EQ has boats instead of instant teleports - enough said

Raid encounters were EPIC and required tons of people. Id rather have an epic gathering of people who just zerg something than have an actual strategy. Its realistic. Absolutely awesome how old EQ raids used to be. Gather up all your friends and everyone and just run in and sacrifice yourself for the cause. It didnt matter what gear you had or what weapon you were using... awesome

Quests were awesome. Well most of them are silly but quests in classic EQ are really well done and you dont have some glowing path that shows you exactly where you have to go for each step of it. You are not spoon fed like in all these new MMORPGs. EQ was hardcore. Hell, I couldnt even imagine how the hell anyone could figure out how to get the veeshan peak key without a strategy guide lol.

So much content, so many zones, so many different options. Infinite stuff to explore... I have played the game a lot for a long time and there are still zones that I have never been to in Trilogy era. I would rather pay $50 a month to play a populated trilogy EQ server than get a lifetime membership to play every MMORPG out there!
Old 09-27-2008, 01:24 PM
Yeormom
Discordant

The reason you didn't like EQ1 was you had the power gamer outlook. EverQuest was never about trying to max your level when Verant ran the shop. It was about the social experience and progression through content. Everyone didn't have to be 60 to take down high end mobs, even through Velious. If you rushed the game based on level, you really missed out.

It was definately not friendly to those unguilded.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:57 PM
Felwithe
Fire Beetle

I prefer the classic game - I actually like hell levels and slow exp. If you like PvP, then TZ/VZ is the place for you. For blue server fans, the best I've seen so far is Murdersmithy - it's a new server, but it is currently original and Kunark, does NOT have extra exp. I prefer this, because I think old school Everquest has a lot to offer at all levels, not just trying to grind to the top so you can finally have "fun" raiding. The server population is low right now, and I'm not sure the GMs really want it to go too high, but it certainly has possibilities.