Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 10-13-2015, 03:04 PM
MarcusD
Banned

Default Open source foundational Game Mechanic

Here is a basic game mechanic anyone can use. If you think it is stupid please try to come up with a constructive remark besides "You are a TrOll!" lol.

Open foundational game mechanic

Classless system.

mana-used for specials
stamina- used for basic attacks and consciousness

weight- effects total stamina
endurance- increases total stamina
strength- increases attack damage
agility- increases attack speed
dexterity- decreases attack stamina cost.

morale- effects total mana
memory- increases total mana
wisdom- increases specials damage
intelligence- increases cast speed
vision- decreases specials mana cost

The interesting thing here is that auto-attacks cost stamina (health) to do. I think this is the missing link in balancing melee vs magic classes.

regen is based on instantaneous amt. for example if I have 200 out of my 300 total mana I regen at 20 points a tick. If I cast more so I have 100 out of my 300 total mana I regen 10 points per tick. Same with stamina (health). Therefore pretty much every stat will effect your given regeneration rate.

If you want to be a tank, then you would wear heavy gear and increase your endurance as much as possible. If you want to be a glass cannon you would increase either strength and agility or wisdom and intelligence. Or both sets. You can be as hybrid or pure class you want. All spells will be usable by all, but the mana cost, monetary cost, cooldown rate, ect will determine what you use. Also there will be quest lines to get powerful spells so there would probably be a time benefit to sticking to one line. Also masteries could be added that could increase damage you do with different types of weapons or different types of specials.

weight is from gear and inventory with an addition from class (ogre etc) and gender (!) selection. Morale is from assist/death ratio with an addition from race selection; extreme good or extreme evil races have higher addition. Assist points would be determined by amount of damage you did or health you healed. Also run speed will be in direct relation to current total stamina. We could also make current total mana effect something, possibly movement specials speed or duration or cooldown.

This is designed as basic and buildable as possible but still easily understandable and functional. I may make small future tweaks.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:15 PM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

This is all pretty cool, but you have a lot of code to re-write as far as the source is concerned if you want to completely re-do the statistics system as well as the regeneration calculations. Some of this could be done in Perl/Lua probably. However, I've noticed that some stuff, like health and statistics are really wonky if you try to alter them with custom server-side calculations, by that I mean, your changes may or may not show. I remember when I used a quest global "Rebirth" to modify spell and melee damage proportionally to your "Rebirth" global, like Rebirth 100 is 20 times damage. That stuff worked for me, but damage is server-side calculated, some stuff is client-side and can't be changed really. But you'd just have to try your ideas in the code and see how they work out.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:29 PM
MarcusD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingly_Krab View Post
This is all pretty cool, but you have a lot of code to re-write as far as the source is concerned if you want to completely re-do the statistics system as well as the regeneration calculations. Some of this could be done in Perl/Lua probably. However, I've noticed that some stuff, like health and statistics are really wonky if you try to alter them with custom server-side calculations, by that I mean, your changes may or may not show. I remember when I used a quest global "Rebirth" to modify spell and melee damage proportionally to your "Rebirth" global, like Rebirth 100 is 20 times damage. That stuff worked for me, but damage is server-side calculated, some stuff is client-side and can't be changed really. But you'd just have to try your ideas in the code and see how they work out.
Cool good to know. Ya I'm not sure how much could be done with the database but I might go back to dikumud to get this mechanic working there then bring it to eq that way. No idea yet but my main strength is on design in many fields and less about implementation but I do work on implementation and execution on everything I do. I just figured if any prodigy coders wanted a custom game mechanic design to work on implementing, here would be a fun one.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:35 PM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

Yeah, I often times think of cool stuff, but then I realize I don't have time to run my own server so I can't implement any of my ideas, haha.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:20 PM
Drajor
Developer

Quote:
I may make small future tweaks.
QFTW

/10char