Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:53 PM
SaunderTrade88
Fire Beetle

Default Client Versions

Hey guys, I have some questions for ya. Recently, I've been feeling like I've been bothering everybody with my support topics so I decided to figure things out on my own. I ended up getting two servers up and running I found out LAN won't work on my PC due to a floating IP that can not be fixed with the specific router I have. I messed around with it for a few hours. I just wanted to let people know what the problems were. Other than the floating IP problem, I had a problem with MYSQL and databasing. It has to do with the fact that a couple things that are listed in the complete setup guide conflict with the readme. The guide does say to go with the readme but it confused me and I kept overlooking it. Pathing with the start.bat? Ya, I never figured that out. Someone uploaded a file that acts like a batch but is a lot more complicated version. The thing works fine for both servers. I tried messing with the start.bat file for a long time until I came across that download which solved that issue for me.

Now for my questions. I hope they get answered but if not, that's cool too. I have multiple versions of EQ. Different expansion packs etc. On the start here section, it talks about how EQ Emu can be run with Titanium, Secrets of Faydwer, Seeds, Underfoot and ROF2. I noticed the port is slightly different for the later ones. 5999 instead of 5998. My question is by using the different clients, is it altering anything in the game? If I'm playing Titanium, I can't access the things in Faydwer right? If I'm running Underfoot, I can't access things in ROF correct?

Since I have the different versions of the game, I wouldn't mind creating different servers for the different client versions but maybe there is no reason to do this if Titanium clients and Faydwer clients are accessing the same thing. I hope they are actually different because I think it would be neat to have different servers for the different clients. These will be all LAN so I won't be hogging up a lot of space on the server list. I have to buy another router in order to get my LAN up but I understand exactly what I need to do once I purchase one.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:08 PM
Drajor
Developer

Glad you were able to work things out on your own!

You are correct, different clients have access to different client features and zones. The server handles many of these differences internally so normally the server developer only has to worry about differences in zone files. There is no official list of differences that I am aware of though. The current trend in server dev seems to be focusing on the more recent clients (UF/RoF2).
Old 04-13-2016, 10:41 PM
SaunderTrade88
Fire Beetle

Awesome, thanks for the info!
Old 04-14-2016, 06:44 AM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

You should be able to statically map any address with any router locally....in my 15+ years of messing with computer shit, I've never not been able to statically map an address.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:50 AM
SaunderTrade88
Fire Beetle

Would you be able to help me then? I've tried changing the IP manually and when I log into my router, there isn't an option to stop the floating.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:08 AM
Mortow
Hill Giant

Look for a DHCP tab in your router. Most statics are set under that option. You will need the IP address you are setting and the MAC address of the PC that you are setting to that address. You can find the MAC address by opening a DOS window and typing in "ipconfig /all" without the quotes. It will give a bunch of info but up near the top should be an alpha/numeric string like 0A-F4-BD-00-01-C3. I think it is labeled as physical address. These strings are unique to each physical network card. When you put it into your router, it may require : instead of - between the pairs. Most will show you an example.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:07 PM
Uleat
Developer

Some router interfaces will actually list the MAC address of the connected PCs as well.

Quote:
These strings are unique to each physical network card.
That's almost 100% accurate...

There was a case where the gov't ordered a batch of network cards from a chinese supplier and requested that all of cards be exactly the same..they were...
(including their MAC address - too bad google translate wasn't around back then :P )

Compilin' Dirty
Old 04-16-2016, 01:26 AM
SaunderTrade88
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortow View Post
Look for a DHCP tab in your router. Most statics are set under that option. You will need the IP address you are setting and the MAC address of the PC that you are setting to that address. You can find the MAC address by opening a DOS window and typing in "ipconfig /all" without the quotes. It will give a bunch of info but up near the top should be an alpha/numeric string like 0A-F4-BD-00-01-C3. I think it is labeled as physical address. These strings are unique to each physical network card. When you put it into your router, it may require : instead of - between the pairs. Most will show you an example.
I've tried that but the darn thing wouldn't work. When you say DHCP tab in your router, where exactly am I looking? On my router, when I log into my router, the options there or in the network options that's accessible directly from the network and sharing center?

*Edit
Also, I failed to mention I bought a new router that has a fixed IP. So messing around with the internet router is no longer necessary. Still though, based on my server configurations, I haven't been able to log into my servers when they are LAN.