Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 09-24-2015, 04:27 AM
LadyGray
Fire Beetle

Default Everquest whats Next?

This is a bit of a rant but it might be fun to read. It just goes over my own thoughts and feels on why classic EQ is the best game ever! :3

I just want to say classic EQ was probably the best mmorpg I've ever played. I have so many fun and vivid memories from classic EQ, which is more than I can say for any modern mmo. I dropped 100+ days in each of these games to give it a fair shot, age of conan, warhammer, wow, daoc, Aion, Rift, Shadowbane, Lineage (the list goes on forever). I was always looking for something that resembled classic everquest but none of the games I ever tried had that same feeling, that same level of difficulty, unity, cooperation, punishment, concentration, memory.

Here's my story...

I'm Atheika a highelf cleric of Tallon Zek. I remember joining the server Tallon Zek, because I liked the name of it. I didn't even know or understand what pvp meant. I remember getting lost in the Greater faydark and stumbling upon the great spires. I was like wow these are massive and cool.

...begins casting a spell
..you have been slain by [iforget]..
LOADING PLEASE WAIT

Turns out some dark elf Wizard or Mage was killing people on the spire that day.

By the time I made it to butcher block mountains I figured out how to pay attention to warnings in yell.

Ninomax yells: DARKY IN ZONE

Darky is what we used to call the team of Dark Elves, Trolls and Ogers. There were 4 teams/factions. Darky, Shorty, Lighty, and Humans. Even though there were pvp factions it was more like 2 because of player made alliances within the server. Everyone VS the Darky. Tallon Zek had this play nice policy if you were caught being a bastard to your alliance you risked ruining your reputation. No one would group with you and you'd be killed on sight. In groups and zone chat people would talk about the daily killings, people to watch out for and so on. I feel like this concept of reputation has really died out in games. In a memory...

I was sitting at the pools in unrest then I got attacked by a clan "Ancklebiter' rogue shorties that attacked anyone. Ran my ass into a corner and spammed heal on myself, and yelled in the zone for help. All of a sudden seven guys showed up to my rescue and smashed the lil punk. I think back to that memory and how I forged a real alliance that had actual benefits. These days in mmorpg alliances are like; " Hey that healer didn't let to many people die so I'm going to add him to my friends list."

Friendship on Tallos was like "Hey some group rick-rolled me in MM, and they won't let me lns(loot and scoot) so you call in the Calvary. People would spend 30 mins just running to help you. Knowing it could take 3 hours of their day. I mean people made sacrifices for friendship in that game. (shit I had a 2 day body guard for sol ro doing my stupid cleric epic) In other games I felt like you couldn't get someone to stop grinding their dailies to to stop and help you even for a moment. The meaning of dedication and friendship in games feels so lost now. Like your one tiny minnow in a sea of fish.

You level so fast and so alone, you never really get to meet the people around you. Show up do your role and good bye. Anyone that's how most modern games feel to me. Questing by yourself endlessly, never really getting to know other players, because they spend more time leveling alts then focusing on a single character.

Overall classic EQ was so much more hardcore than modern games, no maps, no real guides , deaths had real consequences (xp loss, time loss, you name it) back then.

Maybe I'm unique that 1% of players who likes everything to be hard. Games got to easy, to repetitive, to boring, no risk. Just wondering if anyone else feels that way. There were so many dynamic features in that game that just didn't exist elsewhere. Anyhow sorry if typing got sloppy , I'm a bit sleepy. Just felt like talking about why EQ classic was the best game ever and wondered if anyone else felt the same way.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:38 AM
Demi-God

Was much the same on VZ was a blast. A lot of factors have changed the MMO scene over the years hence why a lot of us are here.
Member of the "I hate devn00b" club.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:41 AM
AdrianD
Discordant

I enjoy stories like this. Thank you.

I noticed this was your first post so, welcome!

Don't be afraid to ask questions. This is the reason for this very forum.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:27 AM
chrsschb
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGray View Post
Maybe I'm unique that 1% of players who likes everything to be hard. Games got to easy, to repetitive, to boring, no risk. Just wondering if anyone else feels that way. There were so many dynamic features in that game that just didn't exist elsewhere. Anyhow sorry if typing got sloppy , I'm a bit sleepy. Just felt like talking about why EQ classic was the best game ever and wondered if anyone else felt the same way.
I'm right there with you. The lack of in-game assists, the lack of single-player driven solo progression, the difficulty, the risk of soloing, the risk of diving deep into dungeons, etc all forced players to work together and get to know each other.

It's part of why I make all my custom content brutally hard with big rewards. I love the challenge and I love forcing my players to work together. No game has ever delivered that same feeling that I got from classic EQ.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:07 AM
LadyGray
Fire Beetle

Oh I've been using EQ Emu for a long time, just never really posted anything. But thank you for the welcome Adrian.

I keep hoping one day someone will make a mmo like classic EQ, the same type of hardcore style game play. I wonder if anyone has ever tried to remake EQ classic. Same classes, races, spells, game mechanics and so on but instead with newer textures, animation and game models to like bring in the newer people.

I could convince anyone to play EQ classic, just by telling them stories of game play but when they see the graphics they run for the hills. x.x

If I knew how to program I would tackle a project like this but sadly my skill set is more in the artistic side of game creation, not the backbone(programming). Has anyone here heard of any projects like this? Everquest Reloaded! or something rather hehe.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:13 AM
chrsschb
Dragon

Quote:
Oh I've been using EQ Emu for a long time, just never really posted anything. But thank you for the welcome Adrian.

I keep hoping one day someone will make a mmo like classic EQ, the same type of hardcore style game play. I wonder if anyone has ever tried to remake EQ classic. Same classes, races, spells, game mechanics and so on but instead with newer textures, animation and game models to like bring in the newer people.

I could convince anyone to play EQ classic, just by telling them stories of game play but when they see the graphics they run for the hills. x.x

If I knew how to program I would tackle a project like this but sadly my skill set is more in the artistic side of game creation, not the backbone(programming). Has anyone here heard of any projects like this? Everquest Reloaded! or something rather hehe.
I actually prefer the older graphics. Older models, older pets, older skeletons, older zones, etc because that's how I remember the game at its peak. All the newer stuff detracts from that for me. Plus I feel the newer models were a step backwards in terms of animation quality and gameplay.

One look at the velious armors tells you the game had potential for armor texturing.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:39 PM
atrayas
Hill Giant

I too am a TZ veteran, Human necromancer named Girberk. My nemesis was a little halfling druid in the guild Liberation of the Underfoot...that guy always popped up at the most inopportune times. And this stupid bard in Pandemonium used to get on my nerves haha..guy would run by so fast i couldn't get a spell off and he would hit me with a dot song every time he ran by...so annoying.

The only game ive played in recent years that even cam close to the risk vs reward pvp wise was darkfall online but it didnt last very long...there new version is meh, not worth the time.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:09 PM
AdrianD
Discordant

Quote:
Oh, yeah, I suppose looking at "Join Date" would've been appropriate if not out of character. My impulsive nature prevents me from seeing the obvious - and the fact my dang screen resolution cuts off a portion of each and every page on this site.

Whatever your fancy, I think much of it is possible here, in regards to the hardcore EQ. It's amazing what has been done and what these guys can do. I ask myself where I have been the last 15 years (had I begun this journey at that time).
Old 09-25-2015, 02:44 AM
LadyGray
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrayas View Post
I too am a TZ veteran, Human necromancer named Girberk. My nemesis was a little halfling druid in the guild Liberation of the Underfoot...that guy always popped up at the most inopportune times. And this stupid bard in Pandemonium used to get on my nerves haha..guy would run by so fast i couldn't get a spell off and he would hit me with a dot song every time he ran by...so annoying.

The only game Ive played in recent years that even cam close to the risk vs reward pvp wise was darkfall online but it didnt last very long...there new version is meh, not worth the time.

I remember Liberation of the Underfoot, annoying lil punks. My guild progression was Pretorian Guard --> Indignation --> Pdm but I didnt join them untill much later, so I dbout I'd recall the bard that tormented you! :P

Bards didn't really spiral out of control until SoL it felt like. to me at least.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:21 AM
chrsschb
Dragon

Quote:
I remember Liberation of the Underfoot, annoying lil punks. My guild progression was Pretorian Guard --> Indignation --> Pdm but I didnt join them untill much later, so I dbout I'd recall the bard that tormented you! :P

Bards didn't really spiral out of control until SoL it felt like. to me at least.
Bards were insane, always insane. Just the amount of skill required was sky high.

I remember when I was high 20s (I think the charm spell was 27) using charm to charm cyclops, and then using those cyclops to hunt hill giants. When the cyclops got close to dead I'd kill it for exp then get another cyclops. Was glorious.

This of course before I had the gear to actually swarm kite.

I was also one of the people that discovered the roof exploit in Mistmoore. Would sit on the roof and chain dot mobs for exp. Just had to watch out for the necros cause they'd dot you from below.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:14 PM
EQEMU2010
Sarnak

Decent Story I enjoyed it...
I would say to keep an eye out for these or try the ones thats currently going on

(no idea) http://www.eqclassic.org/index.php

(spring 2016? they have a facebook,and up to date videos and can play BETA now)
https://sagaoflucimia.com/game/

(2017 is the goal this has failed before its never been certain really) http://www.pantheonmmo.com/

(Closest thing to Classic EQ)
https://www.project1999.com/

(Best GM ive encountered excellent server just low amount of players)
http://www.legacyoffroststone.com/fo...hp/page/portal

(Live EverQuest Time Locked Progression 3-6 month vote servers)
https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/...on-servers.21/
Old 09-30-2015, 11:26 PM
provocating
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by EQEMU2010 View Post
(Best GM ive encountered excellent server just low amount of players)
http://www.legacyoffroststone.com/fo...hp/page/portal
Wow, I am honored, thank you for that I needed it.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:32 AM
Drajor
Developer

The Saga of Lucimia looks amazing! Been watching a bunch of their dev vids on YT. Also Provocating is a baller
Old 10-01-2015, 09:41 AM
chrsschb
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EQEMU2010 View Post

This server will never happen. The guy who was developing it quit. The guy he handed the source over to is mostly interested in a custom server, not a classic server.

This idea literally died 1-2 years ago. Not that we ever had much hope for it.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:52 PM
Renfail
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drajor View Post
The Saga of Lucimia looks amazing! Been watching a bunch of their dev vids on YT. Also Provocating is a baller
Thanks! The teams' been hard at work for the past year and a half and it's great to hear folks like you enjoying it!