Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Misc > Misc::Off Topic

Misc::Off Topic Want to talk about something that has nothing to do with EverQuest or the emulator? Post here.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:48 PM
The_Beast
Discordant

Default Net Neutrality repeal approved

http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/14/tech...ote/index.html
Old 12-14-2017, 10:25 PM
missmaggie
Fire Beetle

Finally, thanks for sharing it with us.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:22 PM
jakalecax
Fire Beetle

Yeah, this is not the one to go all crazy about; it is not what laypersons think it is.

The greatest threat to the internet isn't the ISPs which have to remain competitive, it IS the monopolistic content providers working in collusion for their fascist-liberal corporate masters; Google, YouTube, FaceBook, Twitter, etc.

I've heard all kinds of whining from customers unwilling to pay ordinary rate hikes from Comcast and AT&T, and this repeal has absolutely no effect on that, and the previous rules did nothing to stop the rate hikes.

Uninformed whining; had my share of it. The FTC will now be in charge (as it should be) to regulate the internet; not the impotent FCC.

Interstate and State and Federal Trade Laws are already in place and are very consumer-friendly in our country.

The internet is working just as it did in 2015.

TL; DR "Don't Worry, Be Happy"
Old 12-16-2017, 09:13 PM
Scorpious2k
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakalecax View Post
Yeah, this is not the one to go all crazy about; it is not what laypersons think it is.

The greatest threat to the internet isn't the ISPs which have to remain competitive,
Competitive? Is that really happening where you live? Good service? Competitive prices?

I live in the capital city of Florida... 250,000 people... one broadband service provider. It's Comcast and as one of the most hated companies in the country, the answer here is no.

Glad to hear it's great where you are. I guess I am the only one with this problem.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:48 PM
ghanja
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpious2k View Post
Competitive? Is that really happening where you live? Good service? Competitive prices?

I live in the capital city of Florida... 250,000 people... one broadband service provider. It's Comcast and as one of the most hated companies in the country, the answer here is no.

Glad to hear it's great where you are. I guess I am the only one with this problem.
No, you're not. And I had the same type of problem since 2014 as well. Looking forward to some advancements in mesh, though, that may be easily enough quashed when the FCC claims it's illegal to use whatever spectrum part is used for it. (not extremely likely and perhaps ridiculous, though wouldn't put it past them).
Old 12-16-2017, 11:11 PM
jakalecax
Fire Beetle

Look, I confess, yes- I actually live in a progressive area of the midwest with several competing local broadband cable providers and at least one residential fiber alternative, but look around; in a few years fiber will be king, dialup and DSL and satellite are already fading, cable and even high speed wireless will remain for another ten to twenty years, maybe even longer commercially, but we won't even remember these dark ages a couple years from now.

I'm so sorry you have Xfinity/Comcast 25 bucks for 10Mbps is crappy; I'm locked into one year renewing contract rates of 60Mbps (50D/10U) and 5 static IPs for about 80 bucks per month, which is only a local savings of about 33% off "retail" rates in my area.

Really, the FCC is impotent- I've dealt with them for going on two years now over content complaints for broadcast violations; when I say they're "impotent" that is a real and accurate assessment. We are ALL better off if/when the FTC takes up the baton, because the Trade Laws here are so favorable for us "John Q. Public" Customers. If and when ISPs start monopolizing areas and over-reaching into content also, they'll be dealt with swiftly; some localities have already made the move to classify broadband providers as utility companies, since they are de facto replacing landlines and telephones.

Forgive my optimism, guys. Thanks