Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 02-06-2017, 07:08 PM
jenco420
Banned

Post The Nameless (CKV)

Hello! Back in 2008 I ran a small classic server, due to unfortunate events, I had to close down that server :/

I am now starting development of a Classic - PoP server (Classic - Velious right now). With support for Titanium + clients. I have a dedicated server this go around and this will not be a fly by night server (already have the server paid up for a year).

The server is based on the TAK (EQmac) database that was last released in Dec 2015. I have the database schema working, with just a few Doug models left to tackle .Looking for Player Testers and Database maintainers, quest writers, GM's down the line. Drop by look around and tell me what you think.

Thanks!

Jenco
Old 02-06-2017, 09:46 PM
mjbcb0717
Hill Giant

This going to be soloable type or require multiple people (large raids) or boxing a bunch of toons type.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:22 PM
PlumbGame
Fire Beetle

What is going to make your server stand out from the plethora of similar servers launching lately?
Old 02-07-2017, 06:37 AM
jenco420
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbcb0717 View Post
This going to be soloable type or require multiple people (large raids) or boxing a bunch of toons type.
It will be a legit type server, set to emulate live circa 2002. Two boxing is allowed. Experience rate will be the same as PEQ.

Thanks!
Jenco
Old 02-07-2017, 06:51 AM
jenco420
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumbGame View Post
What is going to make your server stand out from the plethora of similar servers launching lately?
I am very passionate about this project. One of the many reasons why I am opening up this server is open up the TAK project to more users. The database I am using is from the last public release of their database. If they go open source with the database again. I will sync it to our server.

I quit EQ circa TSS because of how isolated the game had become. I know that will not happen here at The Nameless once we get our population up. Anything added / modified after PoP's release will be driven by the community.

What makes us different? I can't say. I have not play the majority of the servers up today. I know if you enjoyed older EQ before gear started getting really inflated. Seeing the population spread across Norrath (not just in the Guild Hall :P ). Depending on one another. Then I know you will fit in great with our family.

Thanks!

Jenco
Old 02-07-2017, 03:12 PM
mjbcb0717
Hill Giant

Not to be a ass or anything but if you plan to keep it live like and only let 2 box doubt it will get far. or keep up with the other legit servers out already most servers that do this just go solo or 2 box content or bots so people can play to their liking it's really hard to build a legit server now days and gain a crowd that will be able to do content when the population will only be around 5-15 people avg. I'm just going off what i have noticed played on every server out pretty much thats how the mainly are some add some twists in custom content here and there to keep it fresh. But you never know could turn out in you're favor
Old 02-07-2017, 06:53 PM
jenco420
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbcb0717 View Post
Not to be a ass or anything but if you plan to keep it live like and only let 2 box doubt it will get far. or keep up with the other legit servers out already most servers that do this just go solo or 2 box content or bots so people can play to their liking it's really hard to build a legit server now days and gain a crowd that will be able to do content when the population will only be around 5-15 people avg. I'm just going off what i have noticed played on every server out pretty much thats how the mainly are some add some twists in custom content here and there to keep it fresh. But you never know could turn out in you're favor
Thanks for the feedback! I can see your point, and did not take you being an ass at all :P.

Taking your points in consideration. I removed the boxing limit. Upped the XP rate to around the same as the Live Test server (+50%) and yes we will be adding custom content once we get the majority of database bugs and quests implemented.

Thanks!
Jenco
Old 02-07-2017, 09:02 PM
mjbcb0717
Hill Giant

Right on there are just so many classic/legit servers now it's hard to build a server like that anymore. Me personally I only play on solo servers or a box limit of 2 I'm so burnt on boxing lol I did it for few years with 14 and I just don't have the time to run that many. So I ping pong around servers till I find one I like lol I like to play at my own pace and stuff I may swing by and check it outc
Old 02-08-2017, 01:12 AM
Thorpa
Fire Beetle

Since this is somewhat being discussed at the moment I'll bring it up...

Why doesn't a server set a boxing restriction? What I mean by this is to not allow anyone to box a "solo pair". For example NOT allowing people to box tank/heals or some of the more "isolationist" type boxing combos. IE: monk shm or Druid chanter.

What happens when you allow boxing is the reduction of dependence upon others. Obviously an large hit to the spirit of an MMO. If you were forced to play a DPS as your second to accompany your main you'd be increasing what you contribute without eclipsing the need for assistance.

Now I realize this isn't a miracle drug for the majority of servers but it would create a new exciting concept to lure people in perhaps. Maybe we've reached a point in EQ emu where your skill as a developer is greatly more appreciated than your vision. What you CAN accomplish perhaps stronger than what you want.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:22 AM
Thorpa
Fire Beetle

As a eqmac player (windows hack or Hobart hack) I can't express how much I yearn for that experience back.

TAKP is so nice a server but the "traditional" client interface and all simply DESTROYS it for me. No mouse scroll no way! Not to mention not being able to press forward to come off a corpse... I love that community and can't ever say enough good things, but I just dont understand why they would opt for those implementations.

Perhaps there are many more like myself that would appreciate EQmac under a more modern client /shrug. QoL changes never ruined the game for me, but they certainly made it more enjoyable.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:26 PM
jenco420
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpa View Post
As a eqmac player (windows hack or Hobart hack) I can't express how much I yearn for that experience back.

TAKP is so nice a server but the "traditional" client interface and all simply DESTROYS it for me. No mouse scroll no way! Not to mention not being able to press forward to come off a corpse... I love that community and can't ever say enough good things, but I just dont understand why they would opt for those implementations.

Perhaps there are many more like myself that would appreciate EQmac under a more modern client /shrug. QoL changes never ruined the game for me, but they certainly made it more enjoyable.
We use the Titanium client for it's QoL updates. There are a few oddities. Mostly Unknown String errors in the UI (not Many) I am working on those though.