Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:11 PM
annarchy
Fire Beetle

Default Taunt issues

Good evening,

We seem to have a problem with taunt on my server. Neither player nor pet taunt seems to actually change the agro of the target. The target will give the "do not interfere with me" message to successful taunts. The taunt skill goes up fine...we get failure messages.

The mobs never ever turn due to taunt though.

In addition, the warrior AA area taunt doesnt work either.

I'm at a loss... we're using a pretty vanilla version of Akka's repack.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:58 AM
AdrianD
Discordant

I don't intend to hog all the help so I'll bump this up.

As far as your issue, if it's a source code thing, I can't help. It's still code to me.

Some may ask when you did your last source update.

Have you done any testing of your own? Taunt has worked for me up to level 50 so far. I use the stable branch from git, I don't know how that varies from Akka'a repack.

There are two rule_values directly associated with taunt, if you haven't looked at it. Check in the table `rule_values.rule_name` <Combat,TauntOverLevel> and <Combat:TauntSkillFalloff>.

This is about all I can give, hope it helps.

Sidenote: my rule_name is actually <Combat,TauntOverLevel> and <Combat,TauntSkillFalloff> with commas for ruleset_id = 10, I'm not sure if this is a typo in the source or database (at this moment).

With this in mind, and if this is part of the problem, you could change ruleset_id and see if anything changes.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:53 AM
annarchy
Fire Beetle

Hi Adrian,

thanks for your reply.

Since I am using Akka's repack, I did not compile the source myself, so not sure what versions of files are being used, I believe his last update was ? February?

I have indeed noticed the strange comma in the server rules but we arent using ruleset_id = 10, so I didn't worry about that part of it.

The testing we have done

The agro part of taunt seems to work not at all for anything.
The skill check part of taunt seems to work - the mob will emote the success message "I'll teach you to interfere with me %t" or whatever.

The mob never turns, except when using hate based spells like the warrior line, never taunt.

No class taunt works
No pet taunt works
Warrior AA - AE taunt doesn't work

It makes life unpleasant for tanking classes and I would really like to know how to fix :(
Old 09-16-2015, 04:01 AM
AdrianD
Discordant

Hello,

Just throwing this out here...

There are OP codes for all kinds of actions. I think it means "operation code" but, I'm not certain. I can't imagine they would be missing/different but, you could check the OP codes in files named `patch_Titanium.conf` or similar. Use a text editor to open the file, like Notepad++, to search quickly for `OP_Taunt`.

Then, you could search the same by opening Microsoft Visual Studio by double clicking a .cpp file in your source folder. Edit > find and replace > find in files. It does basically the same thing as notepad and very fast.

Then compare the two hex numbers. (I think it's hex)

I'm certain someone else could chime in about this and correct me if this would be a fruitless waste of time.

At minimum, you may learn a little bit.

Thanks
Old 09-16-2015, 06:55 PM
Uleat
Developer

Not all clients support all opcodes..and not all opcodes are handled the same way across all clients.

If you happen to be comparing opcodes across clients, you want the label from the *.conf file to compare against the server opcode handler.

This is where most of your game play opcodes are handled: https://github.com/EQEmu/Server/blob...ent_packet.cpp

There are features available in newer clients that are not in older, and vice-verse..the list almost certainly changes with each client.

If you happen to have an older version of python installed (mine is 2.6), this script can provide a little info on opcode-use locations:
https://github.com/EQEmu/Server/blob...de_handlers.py

You don't need to download it..just find the existing one in your local repo and execute it from there. It will create a directory with a lot of
output.

It's severely out-of-date and does not reflect all locations..but, does still appear to produce a somewhat useable output.

EDIT: Ok..it's still out-of-date..but, has been updated to the new client version naming scheme.

Compilin' Dirty

Last edited by Uleat; 09-16-2015 at 08:08 PM..
Old 09-16-2015, 09:49 PM
annarchy
Fire Beetle

Thanks both of you, for your helpful replies.

So, I am using Akka's repack, so I don't have the source files, I don't compile my own version.

I do see the opcode conf files, but it sounds like maybe comparing those across client versions (we are all using UF) wouldnt be that helpful? is that correct uleat?

I see in the patch_UF.conf it is listed as OP_Taunt=0x30e2
In the patch_Rof2.conf is is listed as OP_Taunt=0x2703

I haven't tested with different clients, I'll give that a try I guess.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:33 PM
annarchy
Fire Beetle

So I just loaded up 2 characters, one in the ROF2 client and one in the UF client.

They are the same level (60) and I went to qeynos2 and found a grizzly bear.
I unequipped weapons and did not melee attack at all, i Just walked up and pushed the taunt button with the ROF2 char and the bear attacked.

Then my other UF character goes up behind and gets successful (not failed to taunt) but the bear never turns.

I try it in the opposite way with the UF char taunting first, then the ROF2 char trying to taunt off, that never works either.

The mob does sometimes turn, regardless of agro, taunt presses or distance... there are no riposte or hits from either char.

I'm really perplexed :(
Old 09-16-2015, 10:53 PM
AdrianD
Discordant

If you can, try the same routine but, #level them up to 40-50-60 something. Max their taunt skill with #setskill 73 200/300. Fists are cool and have one of them hit for a little damage, turn your back. Then try to taunt with the other. #repop and do this a few times so you know for "certain".

You'll probably get the same result and you'll know is fubar with a max skill war on a green mob with damage. It's not completely live like, aggro/taunt/proximity, that I can tell. It's not bad for me but, I notice a difference.

EDIT: I dunno, it seems you've done enough testing
Old 09-17-2015, 12:19 AM
Uleat
Developer

This is where OP_Taunt would be initially handled: https://github.com/EQEmu/Server/blob...ket.cpp#L13096

Which, then, would call this: https://github.com/EQEmu/Server/blob...acks.cpp#L2100

There doesn't appear to be any client version-specific code in these functions..so, the actual behavior 'should' be the same between the two clients - unless, one of
them has built-in checks to prevent the taunt packet from being sent.

So, you can see from the function in the second link that there are a lot of conditions that determine a successful taunt.

I would make sure that your actual skill is high enough to be an effective taunt attempt - like AdrianD mentioned.

Compilin' Dirty
Old 09-17-2015, 01:04 AM
Kayen
Developer

Taunt was broken for a period of time prior to like March 2015 ish (which i fixed).

If the repack source is earlier than that and it might be given the timing it came out, that would explain it.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:17 AM
demonstar55
Demi-God

Taunt also blows dick on live.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:09 PM
Uleat
Developer

Roger that Kayen - thanks!

Haven't played live EQ since June '02..or any since 'Marketplace' was first mentioned :P

Compilin' Dirty
Old 09-17-2015, 10:51 PM
annarchy
Fire Beetle

thanks Kayen! and everyone else for your suggestions and advice.