Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 10-01-2005, 09:08 AM
Dakaar
Sarnak

Default FoH Hardcore PVP(legit) (6.2DR1)

Hey folks. Id just like to make a post about my server I'm running now that everything is stable and hosted properly on a sweet fat pipe =P

First off, i/we are flowers of happiness (http://www.notacult.com) and are creating a server based off what most of us agree was the high point of pvp in mmorpgs. The days of rallos zek, where powercampers were veritable treasure troves of goodies, and you did not need to save DKP for weeks on end to get a fancy item, you merely killed the big dumb warrior who already had it =P

The server has a +/- 6 level range for pvp, and takes place on the continents of antonica faydwer and odus.

Plans to later add a few dungeons(one or two custom) to the existing landmass are already underway and we have brought the population closer to further encourage more pvp at all levels, not just engame.

Most races start in freeport, while dark elves ogres and trolls start in their original homelands.

Players leave corpses after level 4, and after a successful kill you get 1 item + coin + racial quest item from a slain victim.

Items are primarily old world (rubicite, yakeshas, etc) with some custom stuff planned. There is no nexus for players to hide in safely, although every character recieves an item with a self-port to a convenient area of the world to make sure that you dont have to waste an hour running after someone just to meet up or find fresh meat.

The level cap is 50, but may change to 60, and include the best of the kunark/vel dungeons inside the antonica landmass to keep the world sufficiently small that still allows pvp to be fast and furious.

Wipes are *NOT* planned , as if one guild becomes a dominating force, they are only a few deaths away from being brought down significantly in power.

This is simply because, with the FoH pvp server, there are NO nodrop items, with two exceptions.

The first is the port necklace that will allow any class to recall to a certain area, the second is a one-week-trophy that is the result of weekly held pvp tournaments. Your character has this item for the week he wins the tournament, then a new winner shall recieve the trophy.

primary/secondary/range/ammo slots cannot be looted however, as we feel that once a melee class loses his weapon, he is completely powerless, unlike the caster/priest classes.

Come try it sometime

The server went live earlier this week and is now in a stable and constant state that i can finally invite people to come try this out!

If you are having problems with the client, come to the foh boards in the "Games we play..." section, thanks

Last edited by Dakaar; 10-01-2005 at 05:18 PM..
Old 10-01-2005, 06:10 PM
Supahsensay
Fire Beetle

Default FoH

Bwahaha. i sue to play wiht FoH on EQ till WoW..

then i ended up on a diff server ebcause of RL friends.. then i quit wow.. now i play eq again >.>

Guess ill have to check this server out hehe
Old 10-02-2005, 03:03 PM
moydock
Discordant

This server is sick, get on weaklings. I want to eat your gear like a cow eats grass but less green more red.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:17 AM
Richardo
Banned

I dont mean to sway your thinking at all but I am currently in development with a full staff and all and have been working on this server for nearly a year, it is Team Based PVP (Alliance vs. Rebels) with complete custom content, zones, many quests, and more. If you are interested, come try us out on October 10 Beta. We mainly focus on PVE content over PVP but there is pvp rewards such as points, items, etc along with a arena where 2 players can duel and other players can bet on whom wins, etc.. Check us out at

www.eqdarkhorizons.com

If you're interested ofcourse, nice to see flowers of happiness on eqemulator..
Old 10-03-2005, 12:17 PM
Dakaar
Sarnak

The problem on most of the guildwars/pvp point style games/eqemu servers ive played is that once a guild gets everything that points can buy, it becomes boring for them, and also theyre damn near indestructable.

I think the item loot is a much better way to go, just because power can shift rapidly in either direction.

Ill have some of the web utils (for getting your char unstuck, bringing your corpse back to a common area after youve been looted, etc) up sometime tomorrow to help with some of that stuff.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:46 PM
Magoth78
Discordant

I see that there are a lot of 'good looking' pvp projects out there.

I, seriously, wish ya good luck. The hard part when you create/work on a PvP server is that you will constantly have to deal with classes balancing, items balancing, content balancing and, of course, cheats.

I've tried your server a bit Dakaar, I'm glad to see someone who's trying to bring back an old Zek type server (Rallos and Vallon for the win :P). But it's almost exactly what was Guildwars 1 (replace the race by the guildwars and u got it). I really liked GW1 at the start cept the classes balancing, but that's an another story.
Dakaar, I hope you have a good host. Try to make all the classes well balanced and I'm sure that you will get a lot of purists

As for Dark Horizons, with the team they got, the server can't suck. We will see, all I gotta say is good luck.

Mag
-- EQoffline/bots
Old 10-03-2005, 01:57 PM
Dakaar
Sarnak

I have quite a nice host with a ton of unmetered bandwidth and plenty of system resources. The server feels a little rough around the edges now because I figure the best way to figure out whats wrong was to let 20 people come in and start breaking things =P

I havent had the php editors available to me since the move so certain things like some spell vendors etc are incomplete. This will be fixed tomorrow morning then Its just working on the bottom line on item balancing IMO.

I have sort of a 'epic 0.5' planned for each class and ive only gotten about 2 of the quests written sofar, each of these try and shift class balance where ti should be without making anything too overpowering.

Im still toying with the idea of moving to kun/vel era and taking the best dungeons from each and linking them to old world points (probably by translocators or re-using under-used zonepoints or areas that look like theyd lend themselves to a zonepoint but arent used as such)

Luclin is what outright killed pvp, it wasnt too bad on kunark/vel you just need to balance the casters vs the melees primarily (mostly due to insane resists that were attainable at the time).

See, old world wasnt exactly balanced, AT ALL either, it was casters all the way back then =P

Sooo.. im not sure if i should throw away all the neat crap that came out of kun/vel just in the name of balance.. Dunno!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoth78
I see that there are a lot of 'good looking' pvp projects out there.

I, seriously, wish ya good luck. The hard part when you create/work on a PvP server is that you will constantly have to deal with classes balancing, items balancing, content balancing and, of course, cheats.

I've tried your server a bit Dakaar, I'm glad to see someone who's trying to bring back an old Zek type server (Rallos and Vallon for the win :P). But it's almost exactly what was Guildwars 1 (replace the race by the guildwars and u got it). I really liked GW1 at the start cept the classes balancing, but that's an another story.
Dakaar, I hope you have a good host. Try to make all the classes well balanced and I'm sure that you will get a lot of purists

As for Dark Horizons, with the team they got, the server can't suck. We will see, all I gotta say is good luck.

Mag
Old 10-03-2005, 11:28 PM
Magoth78
Discordant

I'd recommend to only have Classic at start and see how things go. Because having Classic + Kunark might permit peeps to level without being attaqued at all. Kunark is really big..
// edit: nm, i've just seen that u talked about just adding kunark/vel dungeons.

Finally, remove the ability to /rol or /anon and it'll be all good :P

Mag
-- EQoffline/bots

Last edited by Magoth78; 10-04-2005 at 07:34 AM..
Old 10-04-2005, 05:21 AM
Dakaar
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoth78
I'd recommend to only have Classic at start and see how things go. Because having Classic + Kunark might permit peeps to level without being attaqued at all. Kunark is really big..
// edit: nm, i've just seen that u talked about just adding kunark/vel dungeons.

Finally, remove the ability to /rol or /anon and it'll be all good :P

Mag
Nod. No If i ever added kunark id simply be adding the more popular dungeons full of gear, those outdoor zones are waaaaaaaay tooo biggg
Old 10-12-2005, 10:38 AM
Dymerius
Sarnak

will fansy be there? ;p
Old 11-15-2005, 06:35 PM
Chadlek
Fire Beetle

no but your mom will
Old 11-16-2005, 03:11 AM
Demi-God

Don't get upset when you lose half of your userbase because they can't keep armor on their skin lol
Member of the "I hate devn00b" club.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:35 AM
devn00b
Demi-God

I agree with image here...Letting peeps loot items will drive people away when their new uber_leet_sword_of_death gets taken.
Member of the "I hate devn00b" Club
Most Senior EQEMu Member.

Current Work: EverQuest 2 Emulator. Zeklabs Server
Old 11-16-2005, 10:00 AM
Woodlife Treestrider
Banned

Believe it or not, I honestly doubt this. Why? Well if you look at Empire (When Magoth hosted it) he had it up that way for quite awhile. Honestly, most people liked it. Why? Because there was so much more to it than just hack n' slash till the level cap. Looting people's items was fun for so many reasons and I could make, literally, and essay out of why it was and wasn't. Of course being stripped was a pain, but the good part was you did not necesarilly need the high end equip. to kill in PvP. Most people don't understand this unless you played on Mag's server, but the way he set it up made stripping people more fun than annoying enough to the point to push people away from it.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:29 PM
bleh
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by devn00b
I agree with image here...Letting peeps loot items will drive people away when their new uber_leet_sword_of_death gets taken.
Then they should learn not to use what they can't afford to lose.

Looting items is part of what made Rallos Zek fun. Once the server started losing this trait, PvP became more and more boring, and a PvP death meant less and less.