Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:33 PM
lctucker2999
Sarnak

Default coping server to a new PC

Hello folks, I am trying to copy my server files to a new PC. I did a fresh install to make sure that Perl, SQL, etc. was properly installed on the new PC, then I copied all the server files from the old computer into the newly created folder on the new pc, overwriting everything.

When I opened up the database in HeidiSQL, none of the data that I created appears to be there - accounts, bots, items, NPC's etc.

Clearly I did not do this right. What is the correct way to copy a server onto a new PC? Thanks!
Old 06-05-2018, 10:35 PM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

Lol, you need to dump the database and source it into the new server.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:48 PM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

Check this out.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:26 AM
lctucker2999
Sarnak

Maze, yeah i know the question was very n00bish and I deserve to be lol'd at but I'm still figuring a lot of stuff out.

Kingly, thanks for the link, I guess I wasn't able to find that particular guide when searching, but it looks like I was on the right track in trying to figure it out myself. I found the export database option, except I selected DROP, then i ran into an "out of memory" error when trying to import.

I'll try this when I get home today. Thanks again!
Old 06-06-2018, 11:59 AM
GRUMPY
Discordant

If you want to do it the easy manual way, it's simple. In a cmd window, cd.. to the
folder where you want to dump the database to. Then type this :
mysqldump --routines -u root -ppassword peqdbname > peqbackup.sql

Assuming you have created an empty sql database name on your new box, put the
backup in a folder on there somewhere, then do the following:
In a cmd window, cd.. to where the backup is and login to your sql.
(mysql -u root -ppassword) Then tell your sql to use the new empty database by
typing this : use newpeqname You will see a message "database changed".
Then simply type: source peqbackup.sql Then let it do it's thing, and you're done.

I've always had 0 problems doing it that way, compared to using 3rd party programs.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:17 PM
lctucker2999
Sarnak

I give up. I should just hop on the next short bus out of town.

I tried both ways. In HeidiSQL it somehow doesn't have enough memory to load a 322 mb database even though there's 8 gigs of ram.

Grumpy I tried doing it manually and I have no clue what it actually did... I used my empty database, typed in source etc. then it spend a few minutes doing some stuff (mostly giving me errors about duplicates) and when it was done, it was using peq instead of my new database. I double checked peq on the new system to see if maybe it copied over the data that was different but no such luck.

*edit 2* So it looks like some data WAS in fact copied over, but other data wasn't. For example characters were, but only some inventory items (244 rows vs 340 in the orig db). Looks like none of my custom NPC's or items made it over either.

Sorry I'm retarded but it's frustrating not really knowing what I'm doing.

*edit for typos*
Old 06-06-2018, 10:54 PM
GRUMPY
Discordant

Sorry tucker, I am not really sure, BUT, just to clarify, when I mentioned "creating a new database",
I wasn't referring to downloading or installing a fresh PEQ database. (just making sure you didn't)
What I meant was going into your database editor and creating a whole new BLANK database name
in sql. (Totally seperate from any other database you have installed.) No peq tables in it at all.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:23 AM
kris1
Sarnak

Why couldn't you just backup the server. and use that backup file to restore on another server?