Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:22 PM
pharone1
Sarnak

Default And... Here... We Go!

I've been playing EverQuest for almost two decades now just as I imagine most of you have too. I've played on almost every TLP server SoE/DBG put out, with the last one being Coirnav that I officially quit yesterday.

Plain and simple, I like EverQuest game play, classes, etc, but... I've come to realize over the past decade that I really hate people. Go figure. From the over bearing guild leaders to the "I don't care" players that abuse everybody else on a server, I've pretty much had it with dealing with other people's crap.

So... I've decided to try making my own server where I only let people I want on it join.

That being said, I want to create a custom server with zones I want connected how I want them, and populated with mobs I want. I'd like to customize the classes some to create my own hybrids, and I want to create my own story for the world. It won't be Norrath anymore. It will be what I want.

That all being said, I want to set my expectations accordingly to what is actually possible with EQEmu as of today. So, I have questions.

First off, I plan to use the newest available version of the game that EQEmu supports. I believe this is RoF.
  1. Can you modifiy the scripts used by raid mobs/encounters
  2. Can you set the abilities/spells that mobs use?
  3. Can you add zone lines to existing zones where zone lines don't already exist?
  4. Can you create raid scripts?
  5. Can you edit spells/abilities?
  6. Can you give one classes abilities/spells to another class?
  7. Can you create custom achievements? (would rather use the achievement system than quest system)
  8. Can you create and edit weapons/armor?
  9. Can you create and edit potions?
  10. Can you create new spells/abilities?
  11. Can you create/edit/delete alternate abilities?
  12. Can you create/edit/delete mob pathing?
  13. Can you change which classes each race can be?
  14. Is it possible to create a gnome beastlord with a mechanical spider as a warder pet?

Also, I have no grand belief that my server will be done quickly. I realize it is a major thing to create your own server. I just want to know what I can expect to be able to do as a world creator.

Thank you everyone for your help and advice.

Pharone the Gnome
Old 12-05-2018, 12:54 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

1 yes
2 yes
3 not an actual zone line as exists in game, but you can add "doors" or "teleports" or detect player approaching via script and zone them.
4 yes
5 yes
6 yes
7 there are achievements in EQ? Like WoW type achievements???
8 yes
9 yes
10 mostly yes, not sure if you can create some base class abilities like KICK to actually show on the client as pre-made button but you can create abilities like disciplines. Yes for spells.
11 yes
12 yes
13 not sure if you can change selection in a client but you can set any race to any class via script
14 yes (see above)

Best of luck
Old 12-05-2018, 01:07 PM
pharone1
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosSlayerZ View Post
1 yes
2 yes
3 not an actual zone line as exists in game, but you can add "doors" or "teleports" or detect player approaching via script and zone them.
4 yes
5 yes
6 yes
7 there are achievements in EQ? Like WoW type achievements???
8 yes
9 yes
10 mostly yes, not sure if you can create some base class abilities like KICK to actually show on the client as pre-made button but you can create abilities like disciplines. Yes for spells.
11 yes
12 yes
13 not sure if you can change selection in a client but you can set any race to any class via script
14 yes (see above)

Best of luck
Thank you for your answers!

By the way, they added the Achievement system in the Underfoot expansion. I prefer it over the traditional questing system because it has it's own window with completion progression (I think... can't remember actually) and the ability to give rewards on completion. So, if you use it as a quest system, the user can see their progress and know what they reward is upon completion as well as being able to see all of the achievements they have completed. Also, it is organized in to expansions and categories. I don't know how customisable it would be in EQEmu, but potentially you could create categories for the various zones you put in your game or something.

I forgot to ask above, but is the Collection system implemented in EQEmu? The collection system was implemented in the Rain of Fear expansion.

The collection system could be used as a tool for epic quests as well. Make it so that collectables drop off of particular mobs, and completing that collection gives you the epic reward or something like that.

Both the collection system and achievement system open up a world of possibilities for anyone designing their own world that I feel is vastly better than the traditional quest system built in to EQ. But, that's just my opinion.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:12 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

Not sure if Achievement system is currently implemented - one of the actual devs may know, but I understand it could be simulated by creating it by hand with new added controls for special windows.

No idea on Collection neither. - I remember Collections in EQ2 were cool if its anything like that.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:21 PM
pharone1
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosSlayerZ View Post
Not sure if Achievement system is currently implemented - one of the actual devs may know, but I understand it could be simulated by creating it by hand with new added controls for special windows.

No idea on Collection neither. - I remember Collections in EQ2 were cool if its anything like that.
Collections in EQ are pretty much the same thing as that in EQ2. There are little shiny balls on the ground you click to pick up the collectable items. The collectables also can drop off of mobs. Just like any item, they can be traded if not marked as no-drop, and once used, they go away.

One way to create a psuedo achievement system if the achievement system is not in place is to have a quest setup to give collectable items as the rewards, and then have the collection of all the collectable items give the main reward. That could be used to create a large over-arching achievement/quest line.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:07 PM
phantomghost
Hill Giant

You can add other abilities. For example I have a server where I made sk get all skills a monk gets at the monks level. I typically add or remove skills by saving the skills table as a SQL file, then use Excel to mass create the format.. (can see format by viewing the SQL file, then I paste the new numbers over the old... Delete my skills table and source the SQL file back in.... Probably is easier way but that's my way.

You can add classes to client at selection.. many servers do... But I don't know how.

My lazy way to do this was make a npc named Race_Changer, Class_Changer and Deity_Changer and used other quests to figure out how to make it so they could change the character... For example say ogre to race_changer and you DC and are now an ogre when you come back in.

If it's possible, I have never figured out how to give Mana to a class without it, so warrior could never cast or mem a spell.

You can modify a lot.. best advice I could give would be Google EQ emu followed by what your trying to do and see if you find a solution or something leading you to what your trying to accomplish. I have spent hours changing things only to later find a way to mass update in like 8 words in heidisql..( Changed all spells to be useable by all classes... And made the level for all classes to be the lowest value listed for any class.. so lvl 1 necro pet would be usable at lvl 1 not 9 even as a SK)
Old 12-06-2018, 03:59 PM
pharone1
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomghost View Post
If it's possible, I have never figured out how to give Mana to a class without it, so warrior could never cast or mem a spell.
Interesting, so I guess the best way to create a hybrid is to start with a class that at minimum has a mana pool.

Hmmm... I wonder if the AC and mitigation is hardwired to the class as well. In other words, could a SK be given the same AC/mitigation that a Warrior has by default? I suppose if not, you could create an AA for the SK that gives them additional AC/mitigation.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:39 PM
phantomghost
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharone1 View Post
Interesting, so I guess the best way to create a hybrid is to start with a class that at minimum has a mana pool.

Hmmm... I wonder if the AC and mitigation is hardwired to the class as well. In other words, could a SK be given the same AC/mitigation that a Warrior has by default? I suppose if not, you could create an AA for the SK that gives them additional AC/mitigation.
There are rules for defensive classes and for monk fist damage.

https://github.com/EQEmu/Server/wiki/Server-Rules

Scroll down to combat you'll see crit chance etc. And

KnightACSoftcapReturn
Old 12-10-2018, 03:41 PM
pharone1
Sarnak

Quote:

KnightACSoftcapReturn
Thanks. That's awesome.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:25 PM
demonstar55
Demi-God

Quote:

KnightACSoftcapReturn
That's only used by legacy combat lua system. Default it's not used at all.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:13 PM
GreenManalishi
Fire Beetle

Most of that is doable and most of it is really easy too. But some is difficult and will require coding. Also even the easy stuff can be time consuming, making something very different to EQ can take a huge amount of time. But it is doable. Maybe check out some of the emulator servers if you haven't, Hidden Forest and Shards of Dalaya etc, they are drastically different to real EQ. Some others like that too.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:08 PM
pharone1
Sarnak

I officially started my server development a couple days ago.

I'm currently in the "try this and see what happens" phase.

Dual Wielding And SKs
What I've found so far is that while I can change Innoruuk's Curse (SK Epic 1.0) a 1HS non-lore weapon, I am not able to get the game client to allow a shadowknight to dual wield. So, I will be instead using a warrior as my base class to modify, and giving it SK spells/abilities.

Evolving Items
I have not been able to figure out if it is possible to implement evolving items yet. My searches on the forums have come up short. Anybody know if it is implemented in EQemu?

What I making it so that once you get a weapon, you keep that weapon for the duration of the game. Instead of upgrading to new weapons, your weapon levels up along with you. My first thought is that I can use evolving items to accomplish this design goal. If not, I will probably create AAs that you can gain at particular levels that when activated deletes your current weapon and gives you the new level of that weapon.

Kill Count Achievement
Does anybody know if there is a built in mechanic in EQemu to keep track of number of kills per race (or name of mob)? On EQ Live, they have hunter and slaughter achievements that automatically track things like number of skeletons killed, and give you a reward when you hit a certain number. If that system is implemented in EQemu, I want to use it to further evolve the player's weapon. The idea is that if you kill 100 skeletons/ghosts/zombies, you get an achievement that adds +5 Undead Bane Damage to your weapon. It doesn't change the sword, but rather gives you the new weapon that has +5 Undead Bane Damage on it.

Thanks everybody for the help.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:01 PM
phate8908
Fire Beetle

before you read... i refrence only lua for any quest script stuff... i'm sure there is a perl alternative but... i'm too lazy to look it up...

Quote:
Dual Wielding And SKs
What I've found so far is that while I can change Innoruuk's Curse (SK Epic 1.0) a 1HS non-lore weapon, I am not able to get the game client to allow a shadowknight to dual wield. So, I will be instead using a warrior as my base class to modify, and giving it SK spells/abilities.
This should answer the question to this.

Quote:
Evolving Items
I have not been able to figure out if it is possible to implement evolving items yet. My searches on the forums have come up short. Anybody know if it is implemented in EQemu?

What I making it so that once you get a weapon, you keep that weapon for the duration of the game. Instead of upgrading to new weapons, your weapon levels up along with you. My first thought is that I can use evolving items to accomplish this design goal. If not, I will probably create AAs that you can gain at particular levels that when activated deletes your current weapon and gives you the new level of that weapon.
Code:
client:SendItemScale(Lua_ItemInst inst); -- void
scales the item based off of what ever you have the inst set to... might want to go look at item scaling in general...

Quote:
Kill Count Achievement
Does anybody know if there is a built in mechanic in EQemu to keep track of number of kills per race (or name of mob)? On EQ Live, they have hunter and slaughter achievements that automatically track things like number of skeletons killed, and give you a reward when you hit a certain number. If that system is implemented in EQemu, I want to use it to further evolve the player's weapon. The idea is that if you kill 100 skeletons/ghosts/zombies, you get an achievement that adds +5 Undead Bane Damage to your weapon. It doesn't change the sword, but rather gives you the new weapon that has +5 Undead Bane Damage on it.
Code:
mob:GetRace(); -- int
this will get the race id

Code:
mob:SetGlobal(const char *varname, const char *newvalue, int options, const char *duration); -- void
mob:SetGlobal(const char *varname, const char *newvalue, int options, const char *duration, Lua_Mob other); -- void
mob:TarGlobal(const char *varname, const char *value, const char *duration, int npc_id, int char_id, int zone_id); -- void
or
Data-Buckets
to store the counter

for the +bane damage... augment and set its scale?
Old 01-03-2019, 07:37 PM
phantomghost
Hill Giant

Dual wield is just db modification, link provided in previous post should explain it... Basically you update skillcaps of class 5 (I think) skill 22 and set it for each level and beyond that you want it. (You set skillcaps for each level even if it's the same value at 10-15 (ex 100.. you'd put 100 6 times)

Can either modify the skillcaps in db then export it and take the file to client.. or update client file and import it to db. I personally use Excel and put all the data in a column,.. including ^ then write out starting level and drag down until max level etc.. and use concatenate to make Excel look like the client 5^10^22^75^1 or whatever it is. Then import that to my db.

Then you can set the level a trainer will train it to you.

As far as using warrior.. if it's even possible to give warrior Mana it's likely more difficult, so you'd have to make clicky items or something as your source of casting.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:12 PM
Uleat
Developer

Evolving items are more that just scaling items .. and they are not yet implemented.

Compilin' Dirty