Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 02-16-2019, 03:31 PM
greenspectre
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maze_EQ View Post
This is why Ranger was used on Classless.

Perfect class for what you are trying to do.
MAZE! We miss you and we miss Classless!

But yeah in case you weren't aware pharone, the Classless server did a lot of what you were doing, we had backstabbing, FD'ing, Dual Wielding, Flying Kicking toons and it was super fun, though spells were random drops off all NPCs in the world based on level, there. A questing system for your spells or having to pick one or the other also sounds interesting.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:37 AM
pharone1
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharone1 View Post
I am running some very basic testing on the server today. Feel free to drop by and test out the weapon and augs system.

1. Create a character
2. Hail Pharone the Gnome
3. Talk to him to get your weapon, shield, and augments for your weapon.

Mix and match the augs in your weapon to try things out.
The system tests went good yesterday. Had a lot of fun messing with different weapon augment combinations.

AoE Stun proc aug was interesting to say the least. I wouldn't say it made the character invincible as much as it simply gave him a fighting chance against multiple targets at once. He still was able to be killed if enough mobs attacked him at once or got some hard hits in.

I think I have decided to lower the base damage on the weapon by a lot, and instead have the weapon damage more based on the augments you slot in it.

Was a lot of fun, and I learned a lot about the emulator yesterday.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:57 AM
pharone1
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenspectre View Post
MAZE! We miss you and we miss Classless!

But yeah in case you weren't aware pharone, the Classless server did a lot of what you were doing, we had backstabbing, FD'ing, Dual Wielding, Flying Kicking toons and it was super fun, though spells were random drops off all NPCs in the world based on level, there. A questing system for your spells or having to pick one or the other also sounds interesting.
Awesome. do you know if the backstab, FD, and flying kick was implemented via giving the skills to the ranger class or through custom created AAs?

Messing with the skills wasn't hard to do when I was testing it before on the SK, but I found that giving dual wield to SK caused the RoF2 client to do really bad things and crash.

I've gone full ahead with using the RoF2 client (because it has a lot better features than the previous clients in my opinion), and I have not tested giving non-ranger skills to the ranger class with the RoF2 client yet. I'm hoping that it wont make it go crazy like giving dual wield to SK did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenspectre View Post
A questing system for your spells or having to pick one or the other also sounds interesting.
Yeah I'm trying to go with a system that makes spell use very special and situational. Spells will be very few and far between, cost a lot of mana, and potentially have long recast times. I want the gamer to have to make careful decisions about when they use spells. They will be very powerful when they are used, but they will not be able to be used oftenly.

As for the rest of the time, I want the weapons you are using to be a strategic decision as well by the player. I want the player to have multiple weapons they have collected (and tweaked with augments) that they switch between (bandolier usage) based on the situation at hand. For instance, when fighting in a goblin lair like Runnyeye, the user will likely be using weapons that have heavy snares, roots, and goblin bane damage.

Along the lines of having to be aware of the mobs you are fighting and using the right equipment, I want the player to have to put effort in to obtaining the pieces necessary to make said weaponry. Therefore, certain weapons and weapon augments will only be obtainable in certain locations from certain mobs. Others will only be available by completing certain quests.

Going back to the Runnyeye example from before, obtaining goblin bane augments might be best handled by completing quests for factions that hate goblins or killing other mobs that are natural enemies of goblins.

But, why would the player care so much about creating a set of weapons/gear to go to Runnyeye in the first place? Why does the player care enough about goblins? Does this mean that the end game is going to have a lot of heavy goblin influence that the player needs to be prepared for? No. Not necessarily. There may or may not be any goblins in the "end game".

The reason someone would want to be able to be an efficient goblin killer is because the most powerful goblins in the deepest reaches of goblin strongholds might possess weapons, gear, and/or augments that help them prepare for other types of mobs like magical-based, giants, etc.

So, you see, going to dungeons to fight is much, much more than just to get levels and gear. It's more about getting the various pieces necessary to create gear for killing specific types of mobs.

A level 70 might find that they need some specific items from Runnyeye, and they go there thinking they are sufficiently higher level to not have to worry about it only to find out that their weaponry is less than useful against goblins, and get their ass kicked by low to mid level goblins. Hence, they would need to go gear up on goblin killing gear and then come back to kill goblins to get what they need for that other end game content they was trying to prepare for.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:11 PM
greenspectre
Fire Beetle

The other classes’ combat skills were normal skills, not AA’s. Maze was the dev behind that server though so he would know more.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:23 PM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

Most definitely source code related changes and skill table changes.