Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:21 PM
Wolfshead Sky
Fire Beetle

Smile Introducing EQ Explorer, another kind of map system

This system is designed specifically for Project 1999, but I thought I'd share it here. Below is a copy/paste of my latest post on the p99 forums describing where we currently are with the project. It can be found here: http://www.legendreaders.com/eqexplorer

All world zones have been added. Almost all of these are "zone only" and have nothing beyond the actual zone file itself. This means some buildings, structures (such as druid rings), and even trees are usually missing. Time permitting, they will be added later, but it will be a slow process. This also means that the "fly to" functionality by clicking on a point of interest is also not available yet. Again, this adding this content will be a slow process. Despite these shortcomings, the zones are still available to fly around in!

You can think of this project as being very much in beta, and things will be goofy, perhaps the odd broken link, loading the wrong zone, mispelled word, etc. Also remember that the complexity of the zone will determine how choppy the program can be. It is in a browser, after all. This can affect the smoothness of the flying controls. Please report any problems you run into here.

Some zones have collision polygons mixed in with the terrain polygons. I've managed to clear some of the zones, but some zones have these collision polygons (to keep players from going where they aren't supposed to) linked to actual, necessary terrain polygons and deleting the former will also remove the latter. These zones will be flagged as needing to be "cleaned up" and will require some love in a 3D modeling program and re-imported back into Unity. These zones will be cleaned up as time permits.

For now the main EQ Explorer page is simply a web page. It will be upgraded soon to an actual Unity program. But for now, it'll get you to the zone you want to explore.

BONUS! I found the zones for the original character select screen and tutorial. These will be at the bottom of the page, and are pretty neat to explore .

Some of you have expressed a desire to help out with this project. If you would like to help, I have lots that needs doing, so please PM me .

Enjoy!