Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 11-19-2004, 04:03 PM
shanxi
Sarnak

Default How to log into and play EQEmu if you dont know how

First of all, I want to say thanks for finding this wonderful site. I am all about more people joining our community! Welcome!

First of all, you HAVE to PURCHASE the actual game EverQuest, (from here on known as EQ) and all the expansions you wish to play. There is no support for Warez/Hacks/Downloaded versions of EQ. sorry.

Let's assume that you just came back from your local store, with your EQ packaged version. Unwrap that sucker and install the game. If you need help on Installing, you need more help than I can provide =D

Now, even if you already have the game installed and are a previous player, please follow these next steps.

1) Run EverQuest.exe and let it load. You should get the game patcher. this is a joyous occasion ...not. First it will check for files that need to be updated. If you just bought the game, you are in for about a good 1-6 hour patch depending on your connection. What this is doing is making the game current with all the millions of patches and fixes SOE (Sony Online Entertainment, respectivly) has made since they distributed that CD you bought. once that is done, youre not finished yet. You need to click the ADVANCED tab that is on the lower right hand side of the patcher. Make sure all the zones including optional stuff has a checkmark, and click Complete File Check or Download whatever it may be. It will take even longer than the first download. This step is the most painful of them all because you are left powerless like a skinny white guy on death row in cell block A showers.

While that is doing it's thing, since you have plenty of time, visit http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/pro...?mode=register and click agree to terms. Start plugging in all your info. This is so that you may be able to log into EQEmu servers, which is the whole reason youre here. Basically, you only have to fill out the stuff with * next to it. I did, heh.

Now, after a little bit, you should get an automated email in your ...email, and within it there will be an activation link. Click that. Now, i am not sure exactly where that takes you because I forgot, but up near the top of the page you should see a link that says Profile and has a little icon of a dood next to it. Click that. In there you will find your glorious LOGIN SERVER ACTIVATION KEY. Leave that page open for a sec, youll need to copy/paste that code in a sec.

Here is an IMPORTANT step. Go to your desktop, right click, and select New --> Shortcut .

Copy this information and paste it in the destination block, or in the space from the popup that appears:

Code:
"C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest\eqgame.exe" patchme
Thats assuming where the game is installed to by default. I am assuming you can rub two braincells together long enough to find where your eqgame.exe is and linking your shortcut to it.

Right click this link --> http://www.eqemulator.net/eqlsClient.ini and choose save target as, and save it in your everquest folder, which would most likely be:

Code:
C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest
2) Now, this is a very very important step, and damnit, REMEMBER THIS because youll be coming back to it a lot later. I promise you!!

Code:
[LoginServer]
Host=newlogin1.eqemulator.net:5994
Ok, what the hell was that? Well, its the code that tells your EQ patcher to NOT go to the official EQ site to login to the servers. You gotta pay for those, and that sucks. So what you do is you open up your EverQuest folder, (get used to doing this, youll do it a lot) and locate the file eqhost.txt

Open it up, right click anywhere in the open area, click select all, and hit backspace. Now, copy and paste the above code to where you just cleared. Save that and close the file. NOTE! Make sure there is NO SPACE after [LoginServer] or the 5994. If there is, you will get an error later on.

MOST IMPORTANT OF THIS STEP!!!!!!!!! Make sure to right click on the eqhost.txt, click Properties, and make sure the Attributes: Read only box is checked.

EXPLANATION: What happens when you start up everquest, is it checks for updated files on the EQ server. It is coded so that it rewrites the eqhost.txt file to what it was BEFORE you cleared it, which sends it to the Official EQ server select, instead of the EQEmu server select. Checking the Read Only box makes it so that when you run the SHORTCUT I HAD YOU MAKE it will not rewrite the file, thus sending you to... EQEMU servers.

Quote:
ADVANCED USERS: If you are just starting out, ignore this step. I am simply posting this portion for those of you that need to update patch to EQLive. -- In the case that one of your files gets corrupted (dont worry, it just happens sometimes) Or you get some kind of error (see below) Just Click the EverQuest.exe from the original install (official) and let it patch as it would if you wanted to pay the "pay-for-play." Now simply repeat the steps from the red 2) above. =) Easy fix. (this is called REPATCHING)
Now, almost done. Visit http://www.eqemulator.net/eqaccount.php and fill out the information, and click create account.

Now, all you have to do is doubleclick the shortcut I had you make on your desktop! At the login screen, put in the username/password you entered into the link above, and login. Youll be sent to the EQEMu server select. Pick the server youre interested in and Happy Adventuring!!

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

TROUBLESHOOTING:

Quote:
PROBLEM: omg omg! I get "ERROR - a timeout occurred" when I enter my username/password /crycry
SOLUTION: See ADVANCED USERS above. Most likely your problem is that your eqmain.dll file got corrupted. Delete the eqmain.dll file, and repatch. Then try to log in again.
Quote:
PROBLEM: Whenever I log into a server and play for a little while, I get disconnected every 5-10 mins, its really annoying me.
SOLUTION: open up your everquest folder, and find the file Datarate.txt and change the number inside to 3.0 and save.
Quote:
PROBLEM: Eqgame has caused an error in <unknown>. Eqgame will now close.
SOLUTION: Reinstall Everquest and repeat this guide.
Quote:
PROBLEM: When making the shortcut for EQEmu, I get this error: "specified in the target box is not valid. Make sure you have the correct path and file name correct."
SOLUTION: COPY THE DAMN CODE EXACTLY, you didnt enter it right.
Of course these are only a few of the multiple problems you could have but I think I covered all the frequent problems. Enjoy!
Old 11-20-2004, 04:06 AM
Ultimaz
Fire Beetle

Default need some help

Ok i copied the code into the eqhost file, and also made the shortcut, i have checked to make sure ive set everything up right. When i try to open the shortcut to eqgame it gives me a message that says "Entry point not found. The procedure entry point_AIL_open_XMIDI_driver@4 could not be located in the dynamic link library mss32.dll? is there a way to fix/replace this? running a windows 2000 right now.Would i have to reinstall the game to fix this? Any help would be appreciated thank you.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:14 AM
Xorith
Sarnak

Try going into your EQ directory and deleting mss32.dll and repatching. If that doesn't work, your soundcard drivers may be at fault. You might be able to bypass this by running the options program and disabling sound.
Old 11-21-2004, 03:24 AM
seanzy101
Fire Beetle

i did everything you said but it says bad username and/or password whenever i log onto the account i made, im sure im in eqemu though because the same thing happeneds if it try to use my real eq account

what should i do?
Old 11-21-2004, 07:13 AM
Desuka
Fire Beetle

Same thing here. I registered an account with the forums and used the code to register a login account. I try logging into the server and it tells me wrong username/password. Caps lock isn't on, and I tried typing it with caps lock on too just in case it was when I registered.

edit: And my EQhost file, just in case -

Code:
[LoginServer]
Host=login1.eqemulator.net:5995
Trying to connect to Scorpius, btw. I used their patcher to get the correct version, etc. EQHost.txt -IS- read only. I have deleted EQmain.dll and repatched (and repatched it through the scorpius patcher) several times.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:38 AM
Sourdough35
Hill Giant

Are we looking at an outdated eqemu? Because I just registered as of 11/25/04 and followed the directions explicitly.... but still have a bad password when I attempt to login to the game. Do we just have to wait, or is there more I can do? I don't see a lot of suggestions regarding bad password errors and I've tried the one or two suggestions I have seen.
Old 11-25-2004, 08:57 AM
Zeligus
Fire Beetle

Well, I changed my Eqhost.txt code to the one below, and I got through the wrong log in and password, but got to a new problem. The code I used was:

[LoginServer]
Host=login1.eqemulator.net:5996

Heh... Try that.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:04 PM
Shortboy
Fire Beetle

Default AHH!! Needing help please

Well ive got past all the problems of the wrong username and password but now I have got a server select and I click the server I want and Then it starts to log in just like the ( SOE ) servers But It stays black and goes no were. I have let it sit for 15-20 mins hoping it was just lag... can anyone help me with this....
Old 07-28-2008, 08:14 AM
Ruude
Fire Beetle

Default same problem

Yes I'm having same problem.
First, having trouble logging into character selection. Once there, I click server to connect to, screen goes black and it goes nowhere. Is this because I've patched EQ? I want to be able to play EverQuest on regular server and on Emu, can anyone explain how I would do that?
Old 07-28-2008, 08:26 AM
So_1337
Dragon

Looking at the date on the first post (2004), it seems that this tutorial was written in the days when this project was keeping up with Live. We no longer do so, and instead must use EQ Titanium. Nothing else will work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruude
Once there, I click server to connect to, screen goes black and it goes nowhere. Is this because I've patched EQ?
Yes. You will need to uninstall EverQuest completely and reinstall a fresh copy of Titanium before you can begin the proper setup again. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruude
I want to be able to play EverQuest on regular server and on Emu, can anyone explain how I would do that?
Yes. You will need to install your EQ Titanium to one directory, then make a whole other copy of it. You can use on EQ directory to play Live and one to play here on EQEmu. Just be sure you have entirely separate folders.

The most important step for getting EQEmu setup properly is to install it and then not patch it. This here is the short and sweet guide to getting set up. Good luck!
Old 07-28-2008, 03:18 PM
vexed
Fire Beetle

While trying to login, i get an error saying unable to establish connection with servers. Please check your connection to the internet.

I have tried putting a hardwire into my cable wire to bypass the router as well as disabled my windows firewall with no luck.

What is my next step of action to fix these problems?
Old 07-28-2008, 04:36 PM
trevius
Developer

Are you running EQ Titanium? Other versions won't work. The only other things you need to do are to set your eqhost.ini the way it shows in the Wiki tutorial and also create a shortcut to eqgame.exe with the patchme option in the shortcut as shown in the wiki. If you have all of those set, you shouldn't have issues getting connected. The only other reason you wouldn't be able to connect would be if the login server is down, which does happen. It was down for a long time yesterday. Normally it is fairly stable though.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:36 PM
Ruude
Fire Beetle

Default thanks

So L33t you hit it right on the head man, thanks for your help! Getting started creating two different folders.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:23 AM
vexed
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevius View Post
Are you running EQ Titanium? Other versions won't work. The only other things you need to do are to set your eqhost.ini the way it shows in the Wiki tutorial and also create a shortcut to eqgame.exe with the patchme option in the shortcut as shown in the wiki. If you have all of those set, you shouldn't have issues getting connected. The only other reason you wouldn't be able to connect would be if the login server is down, which does happen. It was down for a long time yesterday. Normally it is fairly stable though.

Yes i have eq titanium. And i followed the steps. I dont know wtf is going on. Is there an eqhost.ini file i can dl off of someone else. I know this sounds funny, but i dont know why the hell its not working.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:07 AM
trevius
Developer

If you have windows set not to show known file extensions (which is the default windows setting), it will only show the file name as eqhost. And there is a chance that you might have named it eqhost.txt.txt, which obviously wouldn't work.