Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Spell Support

Spell Support Broken Spells? Want them Fixed? Request it here.

Old 09-20-2008, 04:39 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

Default Question on npc spell casting lists in DB?

I am looking over npc spell lists and trying to figure few thigns out:

what makes a diffirence bewten npc castign a spell by choice vs having it as random mana free proc?

whats recast deay -1?
whats mana cost -1?
mana cost -2?

i see another list which has "attack_proc" and "proc_chance"
but not sure how they apply to ENTIRE list of spells of a given npc?

attack_proc values do not make any sence at all

thanks =)
Old 09-20-2008, 05:24 PM
Congdar
Developer

mana cost -1 means get the correct mana cost from the spell file, probably means the same for recast delay
mana cost -2 means no mana cost for this spell and it also means that cast time is 0 instant

attack_proc is the spell id of the proc -1 means no proc
proc_chance is the % chance the proc will trigger on a hit

An npc spell entry in the database consists of an id in the table npc_spells which has the above two entries and the actual spell in the table npc_spells_entries. It has an id and then the npc_spells_entry that points back to the entry in the npc_spells table. The spell entry then has the spell id the type of spell it is (detailed below) and the level range the spell is usable. The mana cost and recast delay I covered above, and there's the priority field for the npc ai to use as to which spell is more important to cast with 0 being higher piority than 1.

Spell Types are:
Nuke=1;
Heal=2;
Root=4;
Buff=8;
Escape=16;
Pet=32;
Lifetap=64;
Snare=128;
DOT=256;
Dispel=512;
Old 09-20-2008, 05:32 PM
Congdar
Developer

Additionally, the npc has the npc_spells id in its npc_spells_id entry in the npc_types table which when the npc spawns it will load that entry and the appropriate spells for the npc's level from the spell id entries in npc_spells_entries.

The npc will have those spells, plus the possible proc spell plus any possible other parent list of spells available to it to load at spawn time up to 16 total spells max.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:07 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

thank you for answering.

few more questions:

from what I understand an npc only has ONE spell it can proc as random?

I am looking at for exmaple at list 44 (Snake and Spider). it has
attack_proc 1001 (i presume its number of spell) and proc_chance 3

so it can proc spell 1001 at 3% chance?

BUt it also has: a spell list which has spell 765 Inject Poison with manacost -2 and recast_delay -1

so.. still confused.. it can proc 1001 at 3% chance but it can also chain cast 765 at no mana cost?

also- coudl you giuve more details how/from where parent list is coming from?

thanks
Old 09-20-2008, 06:40 PM
Congdar
Developer

spell 1001 from spells_us.txt is weak poison and they can proc weak poison with 3% chance per hit and also cast 765 Injected Poison I as often as the ai allows.

This appears to be usded primarily for the strathbone spiders in kaesora as they are the only caster class that has this spell. It appears several other spiders and snakes have this as thier spell entry but are marked as warriors and would not see the spell casting code.

The parent list points to the same npc_spells entries. If you change the parent_list to point to 2 'Default Wizard List' then the spiders would also get the entire list from npc_spells_id 2 in npc_spells_entries.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:52 PM
So_1337
Dragon

I believe that even being warriors, so long as they have the spell list assigned to them, they should be able to proc.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:59 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

I ah I see now, thank you Congdar.

So I can give npc:

a) personal custom spell list
b) someone elses spell list
c) a single proc

I thinking how would i give npc more than 1 proc? Pointing it to a parent list which allready has a proc and so on I guess?

Yes So_1337 is right, even warrior npcs can proc AND cast. I know that for fact and thats a very usefull thing, when you want to create a custom case hybrid npc - for exmaple Treants are warriors by class but they get full compliment of druid spells, so esentily they are twice as dangerous
Old 09-20-2008, 07:51 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

btw another tricky question.

So i have an npc which can appear as any level, but simular spells/procs.
so I can make a single spell list inside which versions of spell would have their own level, and based on level of npc - it would use the right spells.

howeverw hat i want to have npc which would proc those spells based on his level? I gues makign a list of procs is not an option, and I would need to make LOTS of difirent spells lists containing just a single proc each?

BTW question to devs - wouldn't it been better to implement procing inside the spell list by for example making that "-3" in spell mana cast would indicate a this is a proc and adding extra collumn which would list proc chance (ignored unless cast time set to -3), rather than using some side attached proc values?

with this apparoch you coudl amke spell and proc list inside a single list and indicate them as needed as spells or procs
Old 09-20-2008, 08:31 PM
Congdar
Developer

You can create custom spell entries all day long, I even think you can cascade the id's using parent entries so you could have multiple procs but I haven't tested that.