@AGenheimer - It does work! Well, so far. I've been having horrible problems freezing up the computer, didn't matter what server I was on. No pattern to the freezing, just had to hard reboot. Though subjectively playtime was a bit longer than others due to the server hardware.
So here's what I did:
1) So I downloaded DirectX9 from this link:
2) Then installed it. Rebooted, still crashing.
3) Went inside these cab files and extracted these files: (cab/file)
Aug2009_XAudio_x86.cab/XAPOFX1_3.dll & XAudio2_5.dll
4) Put the extracted files in the main Everquest folder. Mine is C:\Games\EverQuest
Ran pretty well for about an hour. The reason why I got files out of the XAudio cab was because there was a pattern of a sound artifact or brief buzz just before I locked up completely. So it's unknown if it's the dx9 file, or the audio file that fixed it. Should have gone with one, then added the other. Bad former tech support!
Anyway, here's my system specs:
- Win7 64-bit Ultimate
- UAC turned off
- AMD 3700 2.2GHz
- 3GB memory
- EQ shortcut in Administrator mode
- Had previously run it with compatibility = no go
- Had previously run it with Disabled visual themes & desktop composition = no go
- nVidia drivers ver 285.62 for the 9600GT
Hope this really helps you and everyone else! I'm off to test other servers, like the Irreverent one.