Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:45 PM
CruelCahal
Fire Beetle

Default The "Mercenary failed to spawn!" error

Is this just me, having this problem? Since before the Lua switch, they were working and I don't know if you dev guys know about it, are addressing it, have no problems with it, or whether it's just me.
I know the liasons are set at class_id "1" now and that the merc hire window doesn't even pop up unless reset back to the old "71" value, then that's when the error message comes up.
Recent compiles + daily peq build = error
Recent compiles + my old SVN-based PEQ = error
Pre-Lua compile + my old SVN-based PEQ = no error

I found this in an old post:

Quote:
In the meantime, here's a list of valid merc status update IDs. The packet is used on the client and server, whereas the client sends different data than the server packet. It's not just used for hiring as you can see below:

// [OPCode: 0x5e78 (OP_MercenaryHire?)] On Live as of April 2 2012
/*
Valid response IDs:

0 - Hire me! (Assign Merc after sending this.)
1 - Insufficient money message.
2 - Mercenary-To-Hire does not exist in the server's DB.
3 - Mercenary failed to spawn. (this actually tells us the mercenary should spawn BEFORE recieving this packet.)
4 - Mercenaries not allowed in raids.
5 - You already have a mercenary request pending
6 - You must dismiss the mercenary before hiring a new one.
7 - You must dismiss your suspended one before hiring a new one.
8 - Group is full.
9 - Error creating mercenary
10 - Replacing mercenary(?!)
11 - Your mercenary has quit! You ran out of money to pay for your mercenary!
12 - Your mercenary waived an upkeep cost of %d plat, and %d gold and your mercenary upkeep cost timer has been reset to %s. <-- these values are for GM resets of mercenaries and are generated from the client's
mercenary info. NOT from the packet.
13 - Your mercenary is about to be quit due to insufficient funds! <--- Sent before the mercenary quits, unsure of time sent before.
14 - There is no mercenary liason nearby! <-- hacking attempt check if no mercenary merchant is in the zone!
15 - You are too far away from the liason! <-- Liason exists as type in the zone, but client is too far away. (position update happened)
16 - You do not meet the requirements for that mercenary! <-- For example, if a mercenary is 'unlocked' in some way, send this if they do not have the mercenary unlock.
*/
If it's an opcode issue, I have no clue whether it's my fault or not, I'm not a coder like you guys.
I'm sorry to be a pest, but I really prefer mercs to bots and I miss having them.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:50 PM
bad_captain
Developer

I've been quite busy for a while, but have just updated to the latest code, so I will see if I can recreate this, and/or see why it doesn't work.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:29 PM
CruelCahal
Fire Beetle

I'd appreciate it bad_captain. If it's just a snag on your guys' end, then I'll just be patient and hold out.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:01 PM
Randymarsh9
Dragon

I rebuilt using the latest source code today, and I am getting this error. When you choose a merc and click hire, nothing happens except the message "Mercenary failed to spawn"
Old 07-29-2013, 07:11 PM
Randymarsh9
Dragon

Just to add in a little more information, I also updated my server to have the newest quests and ensured all .sqls were sourced in from the latest code.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:23 PM
sorvani
Dragon

If you have updated and use the current daily dump there is no SQL to run. Well unless someone committed something today as I have not checked.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:12 PM
Randymarsh9
Dragon

I have a custom server, so I don't use the daily database dumps. Mercenaries were working for me a while ago, but I didn't update my source code for a long time, and then when I did, they no longer worked.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:57 PM
sorvani
Dragon

Then you need torun a diff on your database vs the current /release version
Old 07-30-2013, 10:43 PM
Randymarsh9
Dragon

I must have been mistaken, I thought it used to be to update your database, you just applied the .sqls from the newest source and occasionally there'd be a new database available from the SVN repo that would have updates. I downloaded the database from the PEQ website and it has multiple new tables that I don't have. How does one go about updating their database now if it's not through the source or DB repo?
Old 07-31-2013, 02:12 AM
sorvani
Dragon

Most of those tables a should be related to the login server and if you do not run your own, then it is not relevant.

The dump is different because it truly is a dump of the PEQ database minus the character tables. The original DB source was a much more manual process to retrieve cleaned tables and create a new DB file that was exported.

In general the process has not changed. Source in the initial DB and then source in changes from the github folder as need. If you to source in from old stuff, then you will have to look into manually checking things..
Old 07-31-2013, 04:04 AM
tarwyn
Fire Beetle

I would like to add that I am experiencing the same problem with Mercenaries and my database is up to date with the latest PEQ DB revision 2506. Mercenaries were working for me in the beginning of May, and since have stopped working.

EDIT:
I'll go and see if the PEQ daily dump fixes the mercenary problem; I was under the impression that SVN would be kept up-to-date - apparently I was wrong on that.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:46 AM
tarwyn
Fire Beetle

So after replacing my DB with the 07-30 daily dump, I am now no longer able to obtain a Merc at all since none of the merc vendors seem to react anymore.

What am I missing?
Old 07-31-2013, 11:16 AM
Robregen
Developer

Quote:
none of the merc vendors seem to react anymore.
this is mentioned in the beginning of the thread

Quote:
the liasons are set at class_id "1" now and that the merc hire window doesn't even pop up unless reset back to the old "71" value
Old 07-31-2013, 01:51 PM
tarwyn
Fire Beetle

Thanks, that was exactly what I was missing. I've fixed it now and can select mercs to buy, but I am still getting "Mercenary failed to spawn!" after clicking on <Hire>.

This is with PEQ Daily DB dump 07-30 + latest EQEmu Server - 07-18 - via GIT.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:52 AM
NatedogEZ
Developer

Same here Tarwyn --- and any player that logged off with a Merc will crash the zone they try to log into.

I had to just disable Mercs.