Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 10:54 AM
Vack
Fire Beetle

Default Gates of Time - New Server Currently in Luclin will go to Planes of Power and Beyond

The Gates of Time Server

What is the Vision of the Gates of Time server?

Our vision is to have a community focused server that will go from Classic content, through Planes of Power, and then beyond into custom content based on the wishes of our players. We will be getting YOUR feedback to shape the server and the story of Norrath after the Planes of Power expansion. This server truly belongs to the community; we are thankful that you allow us to run the server and help shape the world of Norrath for you. We believe that openness and fairness contribute to the growth of the community.

More importantly what is the Gates of Time Server?

The Gates of Time server is all about having fun, playing in fairness and enjoying the hunt for pixels with a fantastic group of players. We are currently in pushing through the Luclin Era, with all of the Luclin zones and raid encounters open for your enjoyment. This includes Acrylia Caverns as well as Vex Thal content. We are not another era-purist server, but have instead decided to take a quality of life approach to the game: we have Potion Belt, Bandolier, Autofire, Melody, Enhanced Trade skills, Buffs are not Level Restricted, and Advanced Research all available. We have community managers who will run GM events on a regularly scheduled basis, as well as community events planned for the enjoyment, and betterment, of our community. We will promote a healthy competitive raid environment so that all the community can enjoy the end-game content each expansion has to offer. We will be enforcing the EQLive’s “Play Nice Policy”, and we operate on the rule of “don’t be disruptive to other players”. We want you to have a positive experience on the server, and our Guides are available to help with any issues. Our vibrant community is also helpful to new players as they become acclimated to the server.

We operate under a three-box limit per player. If you have more than one player in a household you will have to ask for an IP Exemption. We have a 25% bonus to all experience on this server, and groups greater than 3 will see increases in experience as well as a significant boost for 6 people in a group.

We want this to be an equal opportunity server for all players, whether you are a single boxer or you like to run a group of 3 boxes we want it to be a good experience for the whole community. We encourage the use of Wineq2 for the improved ease of boxing your toons, and for quick window switching, but we do not allow any third party programs or mechanical devices that allow for non in game macros--we believe that one click should result in one action. We do not allow Macroquest or any other third party programs that alter the game experience in a way that automates any of the EQ functions.

What makes Gates of Time different and why should I play here?

First and foremost, we are a transparent server: we actively encourage your feedback and allow everyone to understand the mechanics of their favorite battles. We have a completely open AllaClone (http://allaclone.gatesoftime.com) that allows you to see every detail possible about the mobs your fight and your chances of getting the items that you have long hunted. Our players will always know where we are going and will have a voice in how this server and community is shaped.

Secondly, we have a fantastic community of players that is welcoming to both new players, and returning players as well. If you haven’t played EverQuest in years and have found your way to the EQEmulator site, you have found the right server: we were founded on the pillars of cooperation and inclusion of both the casual, and the more hardcore raiding characters. It will not take you long to catch up and experience the end-game content with the great people you have met along the way.

Finally, we have an amazing server staff. We have active and responsive Customer Service Staff (Guides and GMS), community managers, and developers that actively destroy bugs and enhance gameplay.

How do I get involved?

Please go to www.gatesoftime.com and sign up on our forums to get started. We have instructions on how to get started, and experienced players that can help you if you run into any issues. In addition to our forums, we have a Discord server where you can real-time interface and communicate with both staff and players. Please don’t be afraid to reach out if you need help, and we hope to welcome you to our community, and look forward to seeing you in game!
Old 05-23-2017, 04:49 PM
mjbcb0717
Hill Giant

Now the real question on everyone's mind is it solo friendly lol.

I'll get that one out of the way.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:04 AM
Vack
Fire Beetle

@mjbcb0717

It is as solo friendly as you want it to be. We have a diverse population already and you can three box on the server. I would just suggest you try it and see if it is for you. If it is welcome to the community and if it is not then best of luck wherever you end up. It is a very social server so feel to reach out and make new friends.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:54 AM
mmgaggle
Fire Beetle

Been playing on the server for a few weeks and the community and GMs have been amazing thus far. Looking forward to more AAs and raid encounters in the near future.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:28 PM
Alzafan
Fire Beetle

This server is definitely not just another private server for people that want to box by themselves. The community is thriving for being so new, and there are already multiple guilds for new comers to pair up with. This server has all of the quality of life features that make Everquest enjoyable to play, and is thrusted into the era that we all loved so much. Come give it a shot!
Old 05-24-2017, 06:56 PM
Nob
Fire Beetle

Been great so far with many nice features even for the luclin era. Any bugs from being a new server have been getting stomped on quick.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:00 PM
eldarian
Fire Beetle

I'd like to welcome Anyone who would like to play or just stop in to chat. I am one of the Admin's Please seek me out if you have questions or any of the GM's. Hope to see you guys here.

-Anubis-
Old 05-24-2017, 11:20 PM
Ahjah
Fire Beetle

This server is great and is amazing to see what they have done in such a short time. I have a feeling this will end up being my home for a long time. The GMs are extremely helpfull and the focus is on the community as it should be.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:52 PM
howardgene
Fire Beetle

I've been on this server for 3 weeks and it is a fantastic experience!

If we run into any single boxers while exp'ing we have no problem kicking one of our toons out to make room so come join up!

The QoL features make enjoying everquest fun without needing to dedicate hours and hours of time in one session to see progress. With that said, it is also not watered down to EZ mode at all!!

The challenge is there, the community is growing rapidly and the GM staff has been excellent!!
Old 05-25-2017, 12:55 PM
PatricktheDookie
Fire Beetle

All right, I figured it's time I post in this thread.

Some things to know about me.
------------------------------------

- I loved EQ, especially the EQ in the early-to-mid 2000s.
- I love EQ because it is a game that promotes (and forces) social interaction.
- I love EQ because it is challenging, but rewarding.
- I love the challenge of EQ multiboxing, but dislike it when everyone runs their own group rather than interact with others.
- I have a job.
- I cannot play 40 hours a week. Maybe 10-15 at most.

For someone like me, this is the perfect server. The community is phenomenal. Helpful, knowledgeable, irreverent and lacking the tryhards who want to run over everyone else just to be #1.

Like I said above, I love to multibox. It's challenging to play multiple characters, each with a different role or responsibility, alongside other players in a group or a raid all trying to do the same thing.

What I hate about multiboxing is seeing people run around with 6-30 characters, MQ-assisted, never interacting with others and not contributing to the community. It's that social aspect that keeps me coming back to EQ. The 3-box limit is the perfect balance, allowing everyone to do things on their own but encouraging players to team up and collectively have a better experience.

It's not too easy and not too hard. It still takes me awhile to gain AA xp, but not an impossible amount of time. Quality of life features (guild lobby corpse summoning, tradeskill window, /melody) take care of the biggest issues and allow me to revel in the nostalgia.

If you can't tell, I'm stoked to be here.

This server isn't for everyone, but if you're anything like me and share a similar outlook on EQ and why it fucking rocks, you should give this server a try. It's the real deal.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:28 PM
clobby2
Fire Beetle

I really like this server. The QoL is great with a nicer default UI (than the usual Titanium client) including the tradeskill window and that is just the start.

It's brand-stinkin'-new so there are some bugs and whatnot but I feel there are far fewer than some servers that have been out for over a year. I have only seen minor bugs and I think that is pretty impressive for such a new server. Some of the zone connections may put you in the wrong spot - that has happened to me twice and each time I ooc for GM assistance and seriously not 10 seconds later I get a GM teleport to where the zone was supposed to connect to. They actually have a specific thread for it on their forums so it's nice to know that this is something that is high priority to them and that they are working to fix them.

This server is not an EZ-mode server, but it is also not a nitpicky "omg this is out of era!!" server (not knocking P99 or others - they are great for what they are). In game maps were the LoY expansion but this server has them for all zones and I think that's just fine. There are other examples of out of era features (did I mention the tradeskill window? ) but none of them are going to trivialize content. I want the challenging content that we all think of when we think of EQ and this server delivers on that while not delivering on the soul-sucking, real-life-draining, neck-beard-growing experience that we know all too well.

The people are nice and helpful - I've seen randoms helping other randoms complete quests, exp, etc. so that they can have a positive gaming experience. I'll be sticking around here for sure.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:05 PM
eternalriver
Fire Beetle

This server is very much an alpha build, mounts everywhere, even indoor zones, Greengrocer npc to keep yourself fed as a cheap fix for a metabolism bug, one hit develing, you are asked not to start a dark elf for Neriak is bugged, and not to mention the lag and dcs.

The GMs say some of these things are intended features, but I wonder that.

Also questionable are manastones are allowed, allowed everywhere, I do believe that, pervasive mounts, and no-pet kill invis are ez mode.

They say allow server transfers and are an open-community server, but fail to mention what servers they're allowing transfers from. They refuse to have p99 expats just because of the rep of a few bads.

They use the excuse of 'screenshots' and other evidence the majority server transfers before outright denying a p99 xfer, from whereever they may be, are not asked for. Anyone can doctor up an inventory file. How is this a fair server?
Old 05-26-2017, 08:40 PM
Vack
Fire Beetle

Default Did not take long for a troll

Well the server is not for everyone and we have already had to ban some people trying to use hacks.

And if someone has non era specific things in their inventory such as Illusion Guktan - No we wont allow a transfer because it was not possible to get it in p1999.

We are in Alpha transitioning to Beta here after this weekend. But that is spelled out in our forums.

As of right now Sow works everywhere. There is a community poll to see if that would like that to continue. Since it will be the community server we are letting the community decide.

But hey it is not for everyone. We strive to be an open and embracing community. But it is not for everyone. I hope you the best of luck in another server my friend.

Vack
Old 05-26-2017, 10:11 PM
eternalriver
Fire Beetle

How many of those people you banned where character transfers from p99?

Why is it ok to judge someone solely on their server past? That alienates a LOT of players.

When you mention open character transfers why don't you just post no p99 expats, and we get to decide what characters with what gear we allow in. This whole thing seems sort of sketch.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:17 PM
vtsyc1
Fire Beetle

returning eqemu player here. Are there certain eqemu servers that this server is allowing character transfers from? Is P99 the only one excluded? What about like TAKP or PEQTGC?
Closed Thread

Tags
custom content, great community, luclin, planes of power, quality of life