EQEmulator Forums

EQEmulator Forums (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/index.php)
-   Support::Windows Servers (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=587)
-   -   WORLD:Expansion Settings (overruled by default)) (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=41219)

GRUMPY 03-18-2017 06:59 PM

WORLD:Expansion Settings (overruled by default))

This is just something I noticed that "might" help people who are having trouble getting custom expansion settings to work.

I am not sure about the peq database that Akka's installer downloads, but the one I got from daily dump (feb 22) has one
of the rules from ruletypes.h not in the rulevalues table by default World:UseClientBasedExpansionSettings
This, when set to true, overrides the World:Expansion Settings. In ruletypes.h it is set to true by default.
(I confirmed this today)
Code:

RULE_BOOL(World, UseClientBasedExpansionSettings, true) // if true it will overrule World, ExpansionSettings and set someone's expansion based on the client they're using
For those who might not be aware, you may want to simply add this rule in your rulevalues table and set the value to false.
World:UseClientBasedExpansionSettings false

Didymus 03-25-2017 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRUMPY (Post 253539)
This is just something I noticed that "might" help people who are having trouble getting custom expansion settings to work.

I am not sure about the peq database that Akka's installer downloads, but the one I got from daily dump (feb 22) has one
of the rules from ruletypes.h not in the rulevalues table by default World:UseClientBasedExpansionSettings
This, when set to true, overrides the World:Expansion Settings. In ruletypes.h it is set to true by default.
(I confirmed this today)
Code:

RULE_BOOL(World, UseClientBasedExpansionSettings, true) // if true it will overrule World, ExpansionSettings and set someone's expansion based on the client they're using
For those who might not be aware, you may want to simply add this rule in your rulevalues table and set the value to false.
World:UseClientBasedExpansionSettings false

I love you! This problem was killing me for the longest time. No one could really help me solve this problem. Thank You sir!

NostalgiaEQ 03-25-2017 10:11 AM

Wow nice find. I will check my database from akka installer today and see if this is in it. Hopefully it will work for me but I highly doubt expansion settings work with titanium at all anyway.

Didymus 03-25-2017 10:13 AM

It worked right away for me =D

NostalgiaEQ 03-25-2017 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Didymus (Post 253808)
It worked right away for me =D

On titanium?

Didymus 03-25-2017 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NostalgiaEQ (Post 253809)
On titanium?

Yes it works as far as i can tell

NostalgiaEQ 03-25-2017 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Didymus (Post 253810)
Yes it works as far as i can tell

:shock: Wow! If so Grumpy hit the jackpot!

NostalgiaEQ 03-25-2017 10:51 AM

I can confirm that in the latest Akka/PEQ database World:UseClientBasedExpansionSettings is not there. So it should be added.

Excellent find, this has been a problem plaguing the community forever!

Question: What is the difference between rule sets 1 and 10? (default and eqemu default)

NostalgiaEQ 03-25-2017 11:02 AM

for reference:

Cheers, yeah I've taken a look at that list and tried so many combinations.

Quote:
Expansions
Default: 511

Accessible expansions for all players.

0 - Classic
1 - Ruins of Kunark
2 - Scars of Velious
4 - Shadows of Luclin
8 - Planes of Power
16 - Legacy of Ykesha
32 - Lost Dungeons of Norrath
64 - Gates of Discord
128 - Omens of War
256 - Dragons of Norrath
512 - Depths of Darkhallow
1024 - Prophecy of Ro
2048 - Serpent's Spine
4096 - The Burried Sea
8192 - Secrets of Faydwer
Quote:
Locate variables table within Database. Then locate varname Expansions:

It is this variable that you need to change to restrict certain expansions (Classes/Races). Here is a few variables that will help you get started:

1 Default
2 EQ Only
3 EQ / Kunark - Enables Iksar Race Only
4 EQ / Luclin - Enables Vah Shir Race + Beastlord Class Only
5 EQ / Kunark / Luclin - Enables Iksar & Vah Shir Race + Beastlord Class
19 EQ / Kunark / Luclin / Ykesha - Enables Iksar & Froglok Race Only
20 EQ / Luclin / Ykesha - Enables Vah Shir & Froglok Race Only (No Iksar) + Beastlord Class
21 EQ / Kunark / Luclin / Ykesha - Enables Iksar, Var Shir, & Froglok Races + Beastlord Class Only
255 Enables All Expansions + Berserker Class
I think the one directly above is from the old wiki. There's a million links to it.
Old broken wiki link

Lastly, there is this thread:
Is there any way to actually turn off expansions?

Like the OP in that thread, I don't understand where the 16383 comes from. I know the formula in post #3 (2^X-1 where X = Expansion Number. In this case X = 14) is where it comes from, but why is the expansion 14?

I've tried switching the expansion number, with limited success (from 1 - 8192, everything seems random. Some disable at high numbers, and really low numbers). Like I said in my first post, I can get it to disable berserkers and drakkin, but frogloks are always disabled too. I can also get it to disable vah shir and iksars, just can't get the right combination..

Edit: Just to clarify. 31 gives me everything but drakkin, frogloks and berserkers. 32 gives me base EQ from what I can tell (no iksar, vah shir, froglok or drakkin), 33 gives me Kunark.

Didymus 03-25-2017 11:19 AM

Hmmmm!

Maybe i am being a retard here but for some reason the expansion rule in variables dont seem to matter anymore.

Its all classic no matter what number i add

NostalgiaEQ 03-25-2017 11:26 AM

I made sure in my variables table expansions was set to 0 and in rule_values table World:ExpansionSettings set to zero.

And.....

IT WORKS! With titanium!

edit: well at least 0 expansions works! I'll try to get others to work.

Didymus 03-25-2017 11:30 AM

Yeah i want kunark but i cant get it to work. Urrrg!

NostalgiaEQ 03-25-2017 11:33 AM

YES! Hallelujah! It works it all works even with Titanium! The variables table expansions doesn't matter just World:ExpansionSettings now. We are saved! THANKS GRUMPY!

NostalgiaEQ 03-25-2017 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Didymus (Post 253819)

Yikes ill test it.

NostalgiaEQ 03-25-2017 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Didymus (Post 253819)

IT WORKS! Put in 1 in World:ExpansionSettings!

Didymus 03-25-2017 11:44 AM

It works!!!!!!

Didymus 03-25-2017 11:46 AM

Amazing !!!

Would be there a way to turn on or off stuff in the client?

Like guildmanager is not accessable with only kunark.
Any kinda work around on this or do you need to be a major haxxhaxxhaxxx.....

NostalgiaEQ 03-25-2017 12:28 PM

well just have to find the place in the server code were it defines what is in each expansion setting and it should be a minor edit once you find that

NostalgiaEQ 03-25-2017 12:34 PM

From one of grumpy's old posts, this list may work:
Code:
0 - classic
1 - ruins of kunark
2 - scars of velious
4 - shadows of luclin
8 - planes of power
16 - legacy of ykesha
32 - lost dungeons of norrath
64 - gates of discord
128 - omens of war
256 - dragons of norrath
512 - depths of darkhallow
1024 - prophecy of ro
2048 - serpent's spine
4096 - the burried sea
8192 - secrets of faydwer

Add the numbers up to give you the expansion you want.

0 + 1 + 2 + 8 + 16 + 32 + 64 = 123 (For GoD)

provocating 03-25-2017 02:00 PM

This has always worked. What is the revelation here? You may have to dig up prior post, but it has always worked. It is just for client specific things though, not much in the database itself.

ghanja 03-25-2017 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by provocating (Post 253829)
This has always worked. What is the revelation here? You may have to dig up prior post, but it has always worked. It is just for client specific things though, not much in the database itself.

Rejoyce in the newly re-found knowledge. But, bringing it to light again helped people, so all is well?

provocating 03-25-2017 02:22 PM

Yes, it is a good thing. I was just confused thinking it was broken at some point, but looking back at the source I see it has not changed. So the entire thread confused me.

NostalgiaEQ 03-25-2017 02:41 PM

Hmm? None of the off the shelf databases had the option to change World:UseClientBasedExpansionSettings. If you knew to add in that row in the database then you must have kept that a secret lol.

Uleat 03-25-2017 03:30 PM

There was a time when running a server required intimate knowledge of many things..that time has passed...

https://github.com/EQEmu/Server/blob...elog.txt#L4203

NostalgiaEQ 03-25-2017 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uleat (Post 253835)
There was a time when running a server required intimate knowledge of many things..that time has passed...

Line 203 that you referenced:
"Secrets: Added expansion settings to the rule_values table instead of the variables. The PVP settings will also be here now, too. (See Optional SQL with this update.)"

We aren't saying the code was bad. We are saying that the databases never accurately reflected the code. By indirectly saying we don't have intimate knowledge are you saying that you expect everyone to verify all the code that refers to rule_values? If you verified it yourself and knew this was a problem then why didn't you help the numerous threads of people who couldn't get it to work?

The fact is that Grumpy is the first person to discover this problem in the PEQ based databases and/or was the first one to share it so he deserves all the credit.

provocating 03-25-2017 04:14 PM

Quote:

This is kind of where my thoughts were going. Having to learn my kernel, trim down the kernel. Search for those Linux dependencies, gather them up. Edit the Eq2Emu source when things do not fit to my liking, those kinds of chestnuts.

provocating 03-25-2017 04:17 PM

And with these things, I am leaving the thread. There is no problem, was never a problem.

GRUMPY 03-25-2017 04:20 PM

The only thing I discovered was the fact the actual "rule" was not added into the rules_values in database.
I have already know for a long time, that all the rules added in the source code (ruletypes.h) are not all
added in the peq database.
One just has to simply add that rule_value in their database. The only reason I brought it up here, was
because people who download pre-compiled binaries (installer), will not know about this.
But people who actually build their own server and compile their own source code have this knowledge.
What Uleat was referring to here :
Quote:

You didn't get the server compiled for you. You had to do it yourself. I don't think the "Installer" is meant to give
anyone a "cutomized" server. You have to do that yourself. That would mean learning. Much of it is covered on
these forums in the past.

NostalgiaEQ 03-25-2017 08:08 PM

Firstly this is a PROBLEM with the peq database you can't argue with that. There is an expansionsetting rule that does nothing since it is disabled on the server. Does that make sense? It is misleading you to believe the setting works when it doesn't because it's companion setting is missing from the database. So if I was cavedude I would fix this problem.

Again even if you know that not all code rule values are in the database this wouldn't be obvious unless you basically have the rule values pretty much memorized and like grumpy, were actively searching through them in the server code for weeks like he was. If he didn't stumble across this it would be broken for virtually all of us for a very long time.

That said no I did not know that all the server rule values weren't in the database. It is pretty normal to assume they are. I'm sure most if not all of you were actually told by someone about this. I have compiled my own server code many times and built my own server from scratch many times and even made edits to my server code and I still never knew this because no I didn't randomly spend lots of time inside 1 out of hundreds of server code files...

So don't hate.

NostalgiaEQ 03-25-2017 08:12 PM

Anyway... I'm getting an error now your xml files don't match up with current everquest files type thing and it references a bank button in my uierrors.txt file in my client.

So my question is, how do I hack this error so it doesn't show? Is this error message coming from the server or client and how do I disable it?

I appreciate any help.

GRUMPY 03-25-2017 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by provocating (Post 253838)
and with these things, i am leaving the thread. There is no problem, was never a problem.

ditto ! ......

provocating 03-25-2017 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NostalgiaEQ (Post 253849)
Firstly this is a PROBLEM with the peq database you can't argue with that.

There are plenty of problems with the database, plenty of problems with the source. But unless you are part of the solution, you are not doing anything but complain. If you want to help, go to PEQTGC and make recommendations for alterations. I have done it, others have too. The database is a starting place where hundreds of thousands of hours have been put into. In fact all of this is a starting place, we have all had to fix quest, npc's, source, etc to get our stuff going.

Now am I leaving the thread, maybe the forum for a few more months.

Burningsoul 03-25-2017 09:40 PM

Nersterglier's mind might just explode if you told him about #rules store. Just LOOK at all that awesome stuff that gets added, how dare it be hidden and require poking around to find. /s

Maybe spend some time digging Nost - there's a lot more hidden under the hood than your all-in-one repack that's designed for simple install&play tells you. Who woulda thought?

The_Beast 03-25-2017 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NostalgiaEQ (Post 253848)
I have compiled my own server code many times and built my own server from scratch many times and even made edits to my server code and I still never knew this because no I didn't randomly spend lots of time inside 1 out of hundreds of server code files...

You remind me a lot of MarcusD. You two would of been a great dev team together. Unfortunately, he left abruptly, just shortly before you joined the forums.

demonstar55 03-25-2017 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Beast (Post 253853)
You remind me a lot of MarcusD. You two would of been a great dev team together. Unfortunately, he left abruptly, just shortly before you joined the forums.

They're already working with MarcusD.

Uleat 03-25-2017 10:22 PM

You say from 'Under a rock' .. you must see a lot from there :)

The_Beast 03-25-2017 10:44 PM

It's too dark to see much, but once in awhile the hairs in my nose start quivering :P

ChaosSlayerZ 03-25-2017 10:52 PM

Ok guys lets not beat on the new guy. It is not obviously clear to everyone that PEQ DB and EMU server code are different things developed by 2 different teams.
And yes there were instances in the past when some devs were adding things to server code and NOT mentioned it to anyone, other than entry in change log like "Added X" with 0 explanation what X is or how to work with it. I have brought up this issue like 7 years ago begging some of the devs to spend like extra 30 sec and add a description on HOW to work with the new awesome thing they just put into server code.

Back when I joined in 2007 wiki was a total MESS - it was basically random dump of articles half of which were horribly outdated. It wasn't until the new leadership under Akkadius that you could actually find something in wiki without reading dozens and dozens of useless pages. EVERYTHING should be well documented so the next guy who joins in (or returns from long absence) doesn't need to spend 6 months digging in just to find how to set a simple rule.

NostalgiaEQ 03-25-2017 11:42 PM

Thanks Chaos. I'm just trying to be captain obvious here and point things out. Most of us here are spending most of our time working with the database so if there is an issue there we want to share or get help with it here. And I am helping, I post everything I figure out either here or on my blog or both and like I have said I will release my database and source the minute my server goes live, and it will be 100% compatible with the current akka repacks so it is guaranteed to help someone.