EQEmulator Forums

EQEmulator Forums (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/index.php)
-   Development::Database/World Building (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=596)
-   -   Expanding Original PEQ Database? (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43210)

Riklin 02-25-2021 04:11 AM

Expanding Original PEQ Database?

I commented on something like this several years ago and got slammed pretty hard. I'm expecting much the same this time, but we'll see...

I have looked at several EQ databases, and even created a few test servers. The original PEQ database has been at the same place (mostly done with Omens of War) expansion, but has never gone beyond that. Has there been any kind of effort to try and populate the database up to say, Underfoot, SoD or even The Serpents Spine? Is there a database that has these expansions, including quests, out there?

As a side question, why is PEQ pretty much locked in it's current state, as it has been for at least the last decade (not talking about database changes that are caused by ongoing server mechanics development)? Is there a specific reason, or is this one of those things were it's good enough to use as a baseline, and everyone can expand them from there?

Huppy 02-25-2021 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riklin (Post 266214)
I commented on something like this several years ago and got slammed pretty hard. I'm expecting much the same this time, but we'll see...

I can see why, lol
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riklin (Post 266214)

As a side question, why is PEQ pretty much locked in it's current state, as it has been for at least the last decade

Either you haven't been following the project over the years, or you have a lot of misconceptions about the development of the expansions. It wasn't long ago that OoW was completed and now they are working on DoN.

Not that I would think of you as the type that reads much, but if you get the urge, try looking at this little write up. Might bring you "In the Know", lol
http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42729

Riklin 02-25-2021 07:45 PM

I have been following the project for over a decade now. Servers are more stable than they have ever been before! Most of the memory leaks are fixed! The developers who all do their work voluntarily, do an AMAZING job! With Akka's server script, a person can have a server built and running on a VPN in a matter of minutes, literally! The one thing all these server instances have in common is PEQ, which has not had any major expansion of content in a long time. The PEQ database has been stuck at 3/4 done with OOW since before then.
I have set up and run a small (Linux) server called Halls Havoc in several different configurations, in the last decade. Currently configured as supporting boxing up thru Velious. I even went as far as to rebuild Injured Paw (South Karana) and Cazic Thule, to the way it was back then, with quests and factions and loot! I even went as far as tried to set up The Serpent's Spine zones. I got 10% of the quests done, 80% of the faction done, around 60% of the pathing resolved and 70% of the loot drops resolved, before realizing I was still months away from it being ready. Most quests aren't that difficult, but some of them are still beyond my experience.
Anyway, everyone is spending ridiculous amounts of time tweaking their instance of PEQ, then literally throwing that work away when they quit and move on to another game or thing. There is an old programmer axiom that explains this clearly - "There is never time to do it right, but always time to do it over"... Why hasn't someone on the development team tried to coordinate an effort to "finish" more zones/expansions? I've never liked LUA (it feels like its programming backwards), but have been successful with Perl, and use it for the quests on my server.

Am I truly alone in wishing the database nearly everyone uses had more expansions?!

Huppy 02-25-2021 08:44 PM

I'm sorry you have such a vague misconception about this project, but maybe someday you will take the time to read and learn all about it. Good luck anyways.

TaichoTarpit 05-23-2022 04:09 PM

Courtesy

Huppy, I think you had a very good post/question. The reply you got was a bit condesending IMHO.
TaichoTarpit/Ruby