EQEmulator Forums

EQEmulator Forums (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/index.php)
-   Support::Windows Servers (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=587)
-   -   Windows 9x Kernel Issues (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42632)

Spike 10-02-2019 11:07 AM

Windows 9x Kernel Issues

Why is it that when using a Windows 95/98/ME (Win9x Kernel OS) and trying to join the world on an EQEmu server (EQClassic or TAK Project) the game client immediately disconnects?

Logging in works.
Selecting a character works.
Joining world, immediate disconnect.

Tried on both real hardware and virtual machines.

On Windows 7, 8 and 10 I can join EQClassic and TAKP servers and it works just fine.

djeryv 10-02-2019 11:48 AM

I think anyone that can answer that question is probably long into retirement from their IT jobs...or dead.

Maze_EQ 10-02-2019 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike (Post 263630)
Why is it that when using a Windows 95/98/ME (Win9x Kernel OS) and trying to join the world on an EQEmu server (EQClassic or TAK Project) the game client immediately disconnects?

Logging in works.
Selecting a character works.
Joining world, immediate disconnect.

Tried on both real hardware and virtual machines.

On Windows 7, 8 and 10 I can join EQClassic and TAKP servers and it works just fine.

Probably because these operating systems don't support current networking protocols and features.

Why on earth would you run on 95/98/ME in the first place? The security vulnerabilities outweigh any reasoning for installing these operating systems.

I doubt anyone is going to consider even figuring out a solution for these 20+ year old operating systems.

I bet 95/98/ME wouldn't even connect to the live servers either.

Windows XP works just fine.

djeryv 10-02-2019 04:48 PM

It would probably be a stretch to connect to MUDs.

haynar 10-03-2019 12:35 AM

Takp uses hooks and detours in dll to fix some compatibility issues. That dll is not built to run on old 9x platforms.

I think you can delete the eqgame.dll on takp to get in game on 9x. But you wont be able to loot corpses if i remember. There are likely other issues too.

H

Spike 10-03-2019 09:14 AM

Thank you @haynar !

djeryv 10-03-2019 10:15 AM

I guess we'll never know the mystery of today's use of Windows 9x...

Huppy 10-03-2019 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djeryv (Post 263640)
I guess we'll never know the mystery of today's use of Windows 9x...

Some people play around with old classic cars. Some will play with old classic windows ;) I have an old 80286 kicking around with win 3.1 on it, just for the fun of it. It has IE4 instyalled on it, so can't go too far on the internet, lol

Spike 10-03-2019 03:58 PM

You can use a WayBackMachine proxy program and browse websites from a specific year/month if you want. It’s pretty fun.

djeryv 10-03-2019 05:26 PM

Well...I had fun a decade ago rebuilding an Apple IIgs, but I wasn't going to try and play EQ on it.

Huppy 10-04-2019 02:27 PM

Playing around with old junk and this Emu stuff, it can be fun when you have patience for taking on the challenge. Some people will go out and spend a few hundred on hardware upgrades, just so they can zone 2 seconds faster. Gamers on steroids. Try something different everyone - start up an ogre warrior (on P99) and run across Norrath, visiting every newbie zone, with no SoW, no buffs, no MQ. Did I just hear 1000+ players say "Fack That!" ? lol