View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 04:58 AM
Derision
Developer

Default Experimental Code: Stop mobs hopping when pathing - FindBestZ tweaks

This is for those people who don't like to see mobs hopping vertically when pathing.

I've spent the past few days tweaking the 'FindBestZ' code so that mobs stay on the ground when moving. It seems to work quite well, so I thought I would put it out there for anyone interested to try it out.

(For those that don't know, the FindBestZ code attempts to use the geometry data in the zone .map file to ensure mobs stay on the ground while moving).

Diffs against the 1062 source, along with the three changed source files
(Map.cpp, waypoints.cpp and features.h) can be found here:

www.rama.demon.co.uk/BestZPatch.zip

No Windows binaries as I use Linux for playing with EQEmu.

The changes in features.h are just to enable the defines related to fixing pathing when moving, along with a new define I added, ASSIGN_BESTZ_WAYPOINTS_ON_LOAD, which, if defined, causes BestZ to be applied to waypoints as they are loaded from the database.

Notes:

What I did find while testing was that the Facelist array in the eastwastes map appears to be corrupt. This was causing a crash, so I added a check for this in FindBestZ, in the same way that is currently done in the LOS code.

Of course, this means that FindBestZ won't work for Eastern Wastes. There may be other map files that are 'corrupt' in a similar manner, although I didn't come across any others in my limited testing.

I guess this code will break pathing in underwater zones, e.g. Kedge, where mobs are actually not meant to move along the floor. I guess you could add a column to the zone table to enable/disable this code on a per zone basis. This could also be helpful to reduce CPU load for zones where the pathing correction isn't required, e.g. zones that are mostly flat or zones where the waypoints have been made by hand to avoid hopping.