View Single Post
Old 02-22-2009, 04:40 AM
trevius
Developer

I agree, KLS. I didn't mean hostility in any way in my post. I wasn't aware that it was just a player from SoD that was advertising it. I just saw their join date from like 2003 or so and figured they were probably SoD management of some sorts. Since these are EQEmu forums and since SoD isn't quite EQEmu anymore, that is why I moved the post. If someone from EQ2Emu posted an advertisement there, I would have moved it as well and consider it to be a similar situation, although a bit more of a grey area.

Honestly, I am sure SoD and EQEmu have alot to learn from each other. It would be nice if we both shared freely and maybe even worked together. Our source is free to anyone who wants it, so it makes it easy enough for them to take anything they like and use it. I know there have been a couple tidbits of code from SoD that helped EQEmu considerably. I believe that is where the fear code came from recently that has helped alot. Really, I see little reason for the 2 projects to be separate. Just like EQEmu servers, the thing that makes SoD stand out is their database and quests (and their custom files too). The source code is just a means to use it.

I imagine that once SoF is complete and functional, SoD may take consideration in making an update to their code to make them compatible as well. If that does happen, I hope they will also consider to keep sharing with EQEmu from time to time if/when possible

I don't really know much of the history of SoD and EQEmu and how the branch off happened. I just see potential for both projects to benefit from each other. We are all EQ Emulators after-all I know plenty of players have hopped between EQEmu servers and also between EQEmu and SoD. The more players that either project has, the more potential there is for both projects to grow player numbers.