View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 06:59 PM
trevius
Developer

Yeah, on IRC, a few of the haters started using the term "PEQEmu" as if that was a negative thing to say about the project. They really have nothing else bad that they can say about it and they want to discredit it. If anything, PEQ is one of the most established and respected servers of the entire project and they give more to the project than any other server. So, calling it PEQEmu shouldn't even have the negative effect that they seem to think it has lol. But even if it did, it is still a ridiculous comment from people stretching to find anything to complain about against the current team here. If that is the worst they got, then they might as well just stop talking lol.

There are multiple members of the development team that are not associated with PEQ (myself for one). Even if KLS or Cavedude are considered the heads of the project and both happen to originate from PEQ, so what? They are still more than willing to allow any reasonable changes to go into the source. There is nothing holding the team back from putting in anything we want as long as it is within the scope of the project and not counter-productive to other servers. And for that matter, the entire community is able to openly post code submissions and if they are good and reasonable, they will get put in.

They think that because KLS is taking over the ownership, and is affiliated with PEQ, that it means that PEQ will be taking everything over and forcing everyone to do things their way. Or, at least that is what they are trying to imply. That is obviously not the case. I can't think of anyone better to take resposibility of the project over than someone who is and has been involved in the project for so long and has other ties to it than just owning the box. These certain people claim that the ownership should be handled by someone who has no other ties to the project and does not run or affiliate with any server. I completely disagree, as having ties to a server are an extra incentive to stay involved and active. If someone is running it just to run it, chances are that they would get tired of doing it pretty quickly (as we have seen in the past). It is hard to keep going when you don't actually see anything from the work you are doing.

Of course the people who were saying this are people who want to take ownership of the project for themselves. They do not have their own servers and really have very limited involvement in the project at all. They also haven't even been around for about the last 5 years or so... That is now the type of person(s) I would want heading this project :P