View Single Post
Old 08-10-2009, 10:39 PM
trevius
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets View Post
Random generated from maxlevel. I'll try to keep it 1-10 and see how that goes. Due to the gear on my server, those mobs would not be hard that were generated. But the issue might still stand. We'll see. Tweaking it now, will post results.
Ahh, so your level was set at 1 for that level 16 NPC? That will definitely have an effect on how the stats scale, since every level will multiply all stats on the NPC by the base of each stat. So, a level 10 NPC would have 10X as many HPs, STR, STA, etc. Since I put the extra code in to help with lower level stat scaling, the HPs result shouldn't be too bad, but the STR, STA, etc will still be considerably higher than a normal NPC in that level range. If base stats are 75, a level 10 NPC would have an additional 750 / 10 (75) to each stat to total 150 to each STR, STA, etc. Going higher than that will just increase it even further, so your level 16 NPC probably has 200 or more to each stat, which is very extreme!

I am sure that a system could be created to allow NPCs to scale at a good enough rate that they could scale from level 1 to 60 for the same NPC, but that is not what this scaling is designed for. The idea of this scaling is to replace the need to have 5 NPCs with the same name, and in the same spawn group just to have an NPC that can vary from level 10 - 15 (or whatever range you want). It allows for some more dynamics in a zone with very minimal work to do it. I went through and added the level scaling to 2 of my new SoF zones last night and it took only about 10 minutes That would have taken forever to do the old way of creating new NPCs and spawngroups. Not to mention, it just makes for a cleaner/smaller database and easier to manage a zone full of NPCs.