Thread: New loot system
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 02:00 PM
werebat
Hill Giant

I think I figured it out. It has to do with the number of items in the lootdrop. I had 30 items at a chance of 2. So when a kill happens, it was rolling for all 30 items at a 2% chance. Computers do not have a true random like a dice roll, instead it uses an algorithm to simulate the random numbers. So a 2% chance on 30 rolls would mean that 60% of the time you were likely to get a drop. Off 10 kills that is 6 drops which is about what was happening. So I changed the chance to 0.5 and now it is about 1 out of every 6 drops. So it appears your chance should be (desired % drop / # items in drop) to drop properly. I am not sure how low the chance can be set, but if you have a very large number of items in your drop, then it may not be feasible depending on limits. At least thats how its working for me. The old way with probabilty worked fine since there was only one roll made against it. The new system has its merits too so its just a matter of figuring out how to make it work for your purposes. One suggestion would be to randomize the seed before each roll. I may try this when I get a chance but for now the above step seems to working.