View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 10:31 AM
Aengor
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryatis View Post
The only way a non official client will exist is if somebody finds a way to import eq's assets and then ignores the lawsuits that are sure to come.
Thanks for your comments! I'm interested (and pretty much clueless wrt to the legalities involved) Would you care to elaborate on the above a bit? Or anyone else? Considering that zonewalk (or any of the other converter, viewer, whatever, tools being talked aout/linked to on this site) already exactly do that (reading "importing eq's assets" as "using as is" in this case)

a.) a software, like zonewalk, that allows the user to view file contents (EQ zones in this case) that he has (legally obtained hopefully) on his hard disk. What about the legality of that? Not talking about the EULA (which it probably violates, but in my understanding that, at maximum, warrants an account termination since its a license violation but does not infringe on any copyrights)

b.) does the picture change (and why) when said software can connect to eqemu and allow you to play the game? I mean, its still not distributing copyrighted materials (the user has to have them already) Loss of business, because people could decide to play on eqemu (using the open client and soe's client side content) instead of the official servers? But if so, how is this different from playing on emulated servers as people are doing already?

Interesting.

Regards
A