View Single Post
Old 05-18-2015, 11:55 AM
Akkadius
Administrator

Your work on this so far looks great. All of the user capabilities are definitely on point with where I was heading with the EoC editor.

You mentioned EoC and the Spell Editor there, it is also not complete, especially the individual spell editing page, but it works.

There are tons of spell editors that I've seen over the course of the years and they all have their own ups and downs.

The biggest struggle I see is the availability of these tools, can they withstand schematic changes on their own and are they highly available (Open source/Hosted). Ultimately that is where they sink or swim, they could be a great tool but if they miss the boat on availability, they die. Examples (Ailia's Spell Editor, Null's Spell Editor, and all the other classic spell editors) and if I exit spell editors, the same for many other editors out there.

If you have the brain power to put together what you have in the video, you can easily work around the framework of EoC. It really isn't that complicated.

Another thing I see over and over again is duplication of platforms and tools when really there should be an effort to unify efforts. This has been done fairly successfully in the PEQ Editor. But at least with EOC it wraps the PEQ editor inside of it for availability, so if one native EoC tool isn't suitable then you can use one in the PEQ Editor, easily.

You can go ahead and make this tool and all and make it available for others, it just doesn't not make it very cross platform and open and makes it a stand alone setup that goes against what the end goal of EoC was supposed to be.

EoC was also meant to have far more tools than it does, but I am also just one person and have been going through some serious life events as of recent so project time is just not there.

Either way all of how to develop around the framework/platform is on the Github already:

https://github.com/Akkadius/EQEmuEOC

This is not meant to be a downer, because work like this keeps this community going forward. Getting excited about creation and contribution to the community is great, I'm just adding a little bit of perspective.

Last edited by Akkadius; 05-18-2015 at 12:02 PM..