View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 08:56 PM
SavageDeath
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerxst2112 View Post
Hit Points are used all over the place, so thinking it wouldn't be a major overhaul is just silly. One might think it wouldn't be all that hard, and really it isn't, but as you've said you don't know a bunch about C++ and although it isn't a difficult change it does require that all places in the code that manipulate the value in any way be changed to allow a larger data type.

Since you didn't explain why you need to change this I'd assume it's because you want to see really big numbers for damage. Well, that introduces another set of problems as all of the damage calculations are subject to overflow at some point too, so you'd be back saying "hey guys, why is my damage negative" before long.

If it is super important to you, good luck, you'll need it. If not, just scale your damage so it works within the existing confines and be happy.
Thanks man, and you are correct about the damage, I have actually already modified that to support the bigger damage =D works great doesn't ever go into negative numbers and my gm hits for over 20mil (a regular players max hit is around 900k) which is why I wanted to change the cap on HP but yeah I'll just need to go through the source again with a fine tooth comb and give it a long hard look. Thanks for the support.

@orionsun you could of been directing that statement at more than one person. And seeing as I started the thread I would assume the replies that follow would be directed at me.