View Single Post
Old 03-02-2016, 08:05 PM
starblight
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Noir View Post
First, if you open the server up do not expect a huge influx of players out of no where. They may trickle in, they may have an insurgence, but really I glanced at your site, seems like a clan forum, and I don't know anything about your server without diving deep into a forum that seems unrelated info.. So that's a turn off for decision making. Most will just stumble on your server when server hopping at select.

Second: I don't know which login systems you use, but if it's built in eqemu styles (private login and eqemu login), not hard. Should be lots of topics to search for about it.

Third. You're going to get abusers if you open it to everyone. Just try your best to keep it moderated, and build up a good community, and players will help you out. But nothing about a server is easy, and making one public is asking for even more headaches. People understand you have a life though, but they will hope you try to keep a presence.

I'd say make a backup of all your data, make sure your current players are cool with it, with a potential rollback if shit hits the fan, and just open up. See what happens. *shrugs*.
I updated the first post with server details. I guess my link did not go directly to the post not sure why. Backup is done every night right now keeping 30 day history. I need to re-look at what guide I used but I'm mostly positive I used the privet login setup on the wiki. I guess when it comes to the login I just wanted to make sure one could run both privet and public login at the same time before I started looking for a guide on implementing it.

I would like to hear more about the abusers. I guess I figured if a player was causing problems then the community as a whole would get them band from EQEmu account? I guess I did not think that all the way though.. so how bad can it get? anyone care to give some examples? Seems like EQ being as old as it is would limit the amount of children playing. I know that is not going to eliminate all the problems but seems it would diminish it anyways.