View Single Post
Old 06-21-2008, 12:51 PM
trevius
Developer

Actually, most people that uncomment those settings wind up having issues until they comment them back out again. Probably 99% of the time, they need to stay commented out. Only in rare cases and setups would you need to uncomment them. And, if you were going to uncomment them, you must understand exactly what it is they are for.

Personally, I think they would be better off removed from the short default config and maybe only put in the full config file as an option for people that require a more advanced setup for certain reasons. They could also use a note about them that is clearer than the one currently there. The note, "Only specify these two if you really think you need to" isn't exactly clear lol. Many people specify them from the start and can't figure out why others can't connect to their server.

I don't even know for sure in what case you would be required to set these. Otherwise, I would write a better note for them myself.

I do know that the "address" is supposed to be the IP (or URL) of your internet IP, which in almost all cases is the IP of your router. And, the "localaddress" is the actual IP on the server itself, which is normally 192.168.1.100 or .101 or .102, etc.

You don't need to set any of this, because the Login Server keeps track of your address from when you connect to it when the server starts. All of this info is automatically taken care of by default. By setting this, it messes up what is automatically done, and in almost all cases it causes players not to be able to connect to the server.