View Single Post
Old 09-19-2011, 09:46 PM
trevius
Developer

Please keep the thread civil, or it will be locked.

John, I don't think everyone here knows your history around the emu's so you may not see the respect you are normally used to on the EQ2 forums. I know you have done a ton of work and been involved in EQ1 and EQ2 emus for many years now.

I think the thing that is getting to people is that you are reporting an issue that you claim is not your bug because you didn't write the code. Keep in mind that this project has been going on for about 10 years now and almost all of the people who have written for it prior to about 5 years ago are long gone. That means there are potential bugs that no one currently involved in the project wrote. So, since they weren't written by us, does that mean we should just wait for the original writers to come back and fix them? Yes, we have some devs now and we have resolved a huge number of bugs in the code over the past few years. We do still have limited resources though and rely on the skilled community members to help out when and where they can. If you are going to put a fair amount of time into something and there is something that "bugs" you about it, it makes sense to try to help to resolve that issue if it can be done in a reasonable amount of time. I am sure you have the skills to do so if you wanted.

I am all for reporting and discussing bugs, which is what this thread was created for. Maybe we can find enough details and information to pinpoint the issue. Unfortunately, without something to directly point the finger to, this bug (if there really is one) cannot be easily found.

I am pretty sure at least some of my crashes on Linux are due to the wrong version of libraries that I am running (more current ones).

I don't think PEQ sees nearly as many crashes as I see regularly. I have looked into it quite a bit, so it isn't like I am not trying. I just haven't found anything that really stands out as the possible cause for my own particular crashes. Some of them definitely seem to be heap corruption. I don't know, but there is probably more than 1 thing working against me here lol.