View Single Post
Old 08-23-2014, 08:54 PM
knowom
Discordant

Here's a quick list of things I've learned in Blender and shortcuts for them. Getting familiarized with them can speed things up a lot and make stuff much easier after you get the hand of how they work.

X, Y, and Z - These are your basic geometry grid axis's if you press (X key), (Y Key), or (Z key) different things will move along the given axis.

Vertex
is a particular point at a given X, Y, or Z coordinate.

Edge is a particular line to a object or plane.

Face
is flat surface of a object such as a ceiling, floor, or wall.

Extrude (E key) will take a vertex, edge, or face and extrude it in a given direction.

Rotate (R key) will rotate a vertex, edge, or face.

Scale (S) will make vertex, edge, or face or object smaller or bigger.

Bevel
(W+B or Ctrl+B either shortcut key combinations will work in this case) will bevel a vertex, edge, or face.

Knife (K) can hold Ctrl while using it to cut along the center of a edge very useful can also be used horizontally, vertically, or diagonally.

Inset face (I) will sort of frame a face it can also extrude it as well you can hold shift or ctrl keys to help fine tune how it operates kind of tricky, but very useful.

Duplicate (Shift+ D) will take a given object, vertex, edge, or face and duplicate it.

Mirror (Ctrl+M) will mirror a given object.

Specials Menus
(W) brings up a specials menu which is useful for different stuff subdivide and merge in particular I find useful, but has bunch of other stuff.

Anyway that's all I can think of atm for quick starter tips, but they are all very helpful and useful and worth learning and looking into it'll greatly speed up your learning of Blender as you do figure them out.

It would be worth printing them out and taking 5 to 10 minutes experiment with each for anyone getting started with Blender. You won't be a expert with them right off I don't imagine you learn a lot with experience, but I think it's a good start point learning a lot of basics.

I use GIMP rather than Photoshop myself. I did use to use PS in the past, but it's gotten so bloated compared to how it use to be. I find that GIMP is plenty useable, but a lot less resource taxing personally. Technically PS is more full featured perhaps and more intuitive, but that latter is partly due to be more accustomed to it as I only recently switched to GIMP maybe 6 or 7 months ago, but I don't miss the latter at all.